2009 - 2014 F-150

Ford n00b needs some advice....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the mirrors, my FX4 was purchased with the max-tow which gives me the trailer-tow mirrors.

Yeah, they do stick out there a bit, but I wouldn't be without them. With the larger mirror, plus the big convex mirror below, you have absolutely no blind spot.
I've never even been tempted to look over my shoulder.

Edit to add: Even if you would try to look over your shoulder in my truck, if a pint-sized car was running along side my right rear tire, I would never see it by turning my head.

Last edited by stormtech; 03-15-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CometFlash
But it's been since Model Year 1997 (early 1996 release) that we've had the same old tired engine choices - perhaps even earlier as I know nothing about the F150 pre-'97 Model Year.
Not true. In 2009 they released the 3V 4.6L V8 w/6-speed tranny.

IMHO, this is the best engine for a truck like the F-150 unless perhaps the truck will be towing near it's max load rating over long distances on a regular basis. The 4.6L can certainly do this because it has the power but it will be in a lower gear. When measured on a dyno the 4.6L 3V has just as much power as the 5.4L, a wider power band and enough torque so that the engine doesn't need to spin fast for normal cruising and driving around town. Plus, the MPG improvement over the 5.4L is A LOT more than the EPA figures suggest. Most 5.4L owners cannot match the EPA numbers while I would have to work at it to get below the estimates. On all freeway miles it's never returned less than 700 miles a tank (between 718 miles and 746 miles) except when I was towing a horse trailer. And the smaller engine is more efficient if you do a lot of idling and farting around on dirt roads. But when you step on it, it turns into a powerful beast. Smooth as glass too with it's shorter stroke.

This engine was not available in any truck before the 2009 model year F-150 and yet it is essentially the same motor that has an excellent service history in the Mustang and whatever Ford called that SUV (Expedition?). As far as I can tell this is the most trouble free motor of all Ford engines and Ford is known for having durable engines. If you can't tell, I really like this motor, especially mated to the 6-speed tranny!

Oh, I almost forgot, the 4.6L has the same bore diameter but a shorter stroke so it weighs a full 100 lbs. lighter. That means the truck is not as front-heavy which provides better handling on or off road.

Last edited by Real; 03-15-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford n00b needs some advice....