2009 - 2014 F-150

Ford n00b needs some advice....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford n00b needs some advice....

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to the Ford camp. I come from a longtime GM family and after taking a test drive I've recently decided to make my next truck a Ford.

My question revolves around whether to order a new pickup or to wait for the next model year. I really like the FX4 truck, but there aren't a lot of them around in my area. And if there is one, they are usually tricked out to the point that they are in upper end Lariat, Platinum, and King Ranch price range.

So if you were in my shoes would you wait til the 2011's are released, or is there not enough changes to warrant the wait?

Also, I was thinking of just getting the FX4 with the luxury package. It's about the most I can afford at this point. However, am I missing out by not considering any other option(s)? I don't buy a new vehicle very often so I'm willing to considering spending a little extra if it's going to worth it.

Is there any running board recommendations for the FX4 (Tuxedo Black) that anyone would recommend? OEM or after market?

Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
You can do a search of dealers or your dealer can do it to find a vehicle .Mine came from 200 miles away but they can look anywhere.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
If you do any towing at all I would reccomend the Ford backup camera. As a factory option I think it was like 300 bucks.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Get the one this year. The 6.2L is supposed to be in next years model but its a first year production engine. You know how that goes... They need to work out some bugs, im sure. Get the 2010 model with the 5.4L its proven and bullet proof.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by BXK109
Get the one this year. The 6.2L is supposed to be in next years model but its a first year production engine. You know how that goes... They need to work out some bugs, im sure. Get the 2010 model with the 5.4L its proven and bullet proof.
My 2010 F-150, lariat is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and I have purchased many new cars or trucks since 1969. It would take a page to describe what I like about it. Take one for a test drive. I took test drives on many manufacturers before I went back to ford and without hesitation, bought a 2010. I feel safe, handles great, plenty of power on the "go pedal" and features are amazing. Love Sync and voice command, among many other features.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I ended up in the same boat as the OP, dealer searches only turned up either very basic FX4's or FULLY loaded. I ordered mine with Luxury Package, camera, chrome step bars and tailgate step.

Aside from the luxury package it was an extra $1500 for the options so it was more in the ballpark I was looking for.

I'm finally picking it up in about an hour!!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
^^ lucky

Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
With the new engines right around the corner, I wouldn't be buying a 2010 unless I needed a new vehicle ASAP.

But for someone like me who's been driving F-150's with the same old tired 5.4 since early '96 (1997, 1998, 2004 & 2009 F-150's) I can't wait for something with better MPG. They're supposed to have more power too if you care about that, but I just want to see what the MPG gains are since my F-150's have never had trouble being first off the line at red lights/stops, yet have always SUCKED for MPG.

As for $$$, buy what you need, but remember this: If you are going to have a vehicle payment for 5 or 6 years, you might as well make it a little higher and get everything you want, otherwise you'll regret it every time you write that check and think to yourself, "For just x more a month I could have had X, Y and Z and been so much happier." But if you're buying it outright, getting what you can afford and having it totally yours is a sweet thing! Those regrets won't bug you if you have no vehicle debt, just if you write a monthly check and for just a little more you could have had everything that would've made you happy.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There will always be new and improved models... If you keep waiting for the next model because it's the most up to date you will be the bridesmaid for all time... Buy one now and enjoy it instead of getting into the "What if" cycle...

Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by jdruzik
There will always be new and improved models... If you keep waiting for the next model because it's the most up to date you will be the bridesmaid for all time... Buy one now and enjoy it instead of getting into the "What if" cycle...
Agreed. But there's a huge diff. between always waiting for the "best" thing, which will always be over the horizon, and waiting 7 months or so for a MAJOR engine lineup change. Your sentiment I agree with, and is exactly why I bought an '09; rather than a '10 with better brakes, rear slider defroster, ambient lighting, etc. I wasn't going to always wait because there are always changes here 'n there. But it's been since Model Year 1997 (early 1996 release) that we've had the same old tired engine choices - perhaps even earlier as I know nothing about the F150 pre-'97 Model Year. They may have still had the old 5.4 in the '96MY and earlier, no idea.

All I know is it's a major change in a very short timeframe, more so for the 150 than even the typical body-shape change every few cycles. I say wait for 2011's in November. Just trying to help the guy out as he was looking for that type of info.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 PM
The back up camera is real nice if your looking for a nice upgrade. The FX4 is a great. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I have a 2010 FX4 and I love it. I think it has plenty of power and I know the 5.4 will run forever. I am curious about the new engines in the 2011's though. I think they will live up to Ford's reputation of quality. If you are looking for a barn burner, wait for the 2011's. If you want something you KNOW will last a long time, go for the 2010's... And seeing as how the new engines are coming out, you may get a better deal on a 2010...
Congratulations on not only your first Ford, but also you first REAL truck!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
The other thing to think about is price. Like the Mustang, it appears that the F-150 will have new engine packages next year. As such, I'm sure dealers will not be giving them away like the 2010 models now, because the demand will be high. Buy the one now, wait two years and buy the updated truck if you need it.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you wait for a 2011, you are probably going to be waiting for quite a while. I believe they aren't even going to start building them until November this year. Have a dealer locate you a 2010 equipped the way you want it.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. This is good food for thought.

I have indeed thought about waiting for the 2011's. I currently drive an older Dodge that almost has 150k miles. It's been a solid truck but it recently has started to use a lot more oil and the transmission feels a little strange at times. I just wonder if I am on borrowed time here.

Fortunately I have a good dealer to work with and he is going to get on the computer again and expand the search a little.

I did have another quick question though. How do you guys get along with your crew cabs and visibility for changing lanes, etc.? I've been in the habit of checking over my shoulder for years now and it's easy to do with my Dodge. When I test drove the FX4 it was a little harder task. I suppose I'll need to rely more on my mirrors.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Ford n00b needs some advice....