2009 - 2014 F-150

How to install rear camera with lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great portfolio on the installation.. Well done...

Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried removing the VR3 camera from it's housing and mounting it in the bumper??? Just a thought and then you don't have the bulky housing so noticeable.....

Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 AM
was the disassembly of the radio, console and dash to run the cable?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Help with transmitter on camera

I bought a backup camera and look easy to I nstall however the wire that runs to transmitter is to short to hook to transmitter,suppose to be in cab to prevent getting wet please how do you run the wire to the truck to connect to transmitter?I dont want to drill holes in my truck.does the transmitter have to be inside the cab? I have a f150 crew 08

Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 PM

I commend you for all the work you did to hide the cord for a clean look. But personally I hate the way the monitor sticks out of the dash like that. Obviously it still very functional and not bad by any means. I've been contemplating getting one as well to help hooking up to my trailer. Ive been looking into a dash pod though, or even getting a cts with the add on back up camera. Nice write up.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
I commend you for all the work you did to hide the cord for a clean look. But personally I hate the way the monitor sticks out of the dash like that. Obviously it still very functional and not bad by any means. I've been contemplating getting one as well to help hooking up to my trailer. Ive been looking into a dash pod though, or even getting a cts with the add on back up camera. Nice write up.
I with you but to each's own. As nice as your new truck is I would have just waited and did the rear view mirror mod or something, no offense but it looks bootleg-Walmartish

Old 10-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Rear View Camera

Great write up .. fantastic pictures. I just ordered a 13 ' XLT Eco Screw HD 4x4. Wanted a camera but didn't want all the extras just to get it. I have an Edge CTS monitor system I used on my F-250 6.0 PSD. Think I gonna get their back up camera & plug it into the monitor. It's mounted on a license plate bracket that attaches to the license plate.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice Job!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM
the monitor

hey i was wondering...you said you hooked power from the monitor up to to reverse wire on you trailer brake harness? if so what color was that wire. does it always have power, you don't have to have a trailer conected for that harness to have power ...do you?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi!
Sorry for resurrecting this thread... I almost had an accident involving a kid...

I bought an aftermarket camera and installed it already following the directions on this thread. I had to follow this same set-up because I don't have a Head Unit that includes video, only CD/AM/FM/Sat Radio.

I was planning to tap the Black/Pink Stripe wire at the rear driver's side reverse light BUT while searching LOTS of threads regarding camera installation, I think I read somewhere that it should not be done. I don't want to mess with the trailer connector. It is only a 4-pin connector, no reverse wire.
Some of the posts said no tap should be done at the cable that goes into the reverse light, and most of them direct you to get power at the driver's side kick panel. I don't want to mess there either.

Can I just tap at the cable that goes to the reverse light for both camera and monitor, or am I just getting ready for a major electrical disaster?

Thanks,

Robert

Quick Reply: How to install rear camera with lots of pics