2009 - 2014 F-150

Thoughts on New F-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well today I have to make a decision. I think the numbers just may work with not too bad of a hit. One last question, one of the major reasons I'm doing this is the interior and the engine. I should have gotten the 5.4 to begin with. For those of you who have the 5.4, it has to tow better than the 4.6. The 4.6 seems to cause the transmission to consantly shift with any loads >3000 lbs. It also seems to struggle a bit. I'm hoping the 5.4 isn't as bad. Thoughts and experiences?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
From what I understand, the 4.6 3V with 6 speed tows very well.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by racer114
Okay, so I can tell my self I told me so. I bought a 2010 Screw XLT last year in July and it now has 10K miles on it. I now wish that I'd gotten the Lariat or Platinum, especially for the leather seating (two small children who like to spill things). They are giving these things away by me now. You can get a new Lariat with everything I could want or need for around $28-30K (MSRP $39-42K) plus TT&L. What do you all think my F-150 is worth on a trade? It still looks and smells brand new. I own it outright, so equity isn't an issue.
I was in the same boat as you. I went from a base xlt screw 2wd to a loaded xlt 4wd and had a chunk of negative equity wiped out through the current incentives. You will probably end up close to or slightly above the msrp after incentives and your trade. It may take a lot of work but you can find a dealership that will make the numbers work for you. You will probably go up a bit in your monthly payment. Bottom line it's your money and if you get what you want and are comfortable with the deal than go for it!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
honestly i dont think you will get the trade numbers you want. one of my friends who sold cars told me to figure out the rough estimate trade value of your vehicle, appraise it in GOOD condition in the KBB. he says thats the number many cars tend to be near regardless how great condition. i dont think many dealers will let a lariat go around 30k but i could be wrong. i would do alot of dealer homework online and see what you can get.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm all about the 5.4 over the 4.6, especially if you are going to be towing 3,000 plus. From my experience, as long as you drive it nice, the 5.4 gets around 18 city and almost 19 highway empty (and 3.73s). I'm sure similar driving habits with the 4.6 will net you a couple more MPGs empty, but towing will be a different tail. The 5.4 has a ton more torque down in the RPMs too so the trans shouldn't "hunt" for gears as much (at least not after it has adapted to your driving style and broken in a bit.
Both motors are very well built and will last a long time. I would just hate to get the smaller motor and be kicking myself for not getting the bigger while towing. I can live with a couple MPG in difference.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
XLT10SCREW, I don't have a payment or negative equity, so my trade will be a large down payment basically.

sozzy,

Thanks for the feedback. That is what I was thinking. This is my third 4.6 and, althought the HP is better, I'm still not satisfied with the torque. It simply has to rev too high to get the max torque, which causes the gear hunting. A couple of MPG will not make a big difference to me either. This is the first truck that I have not leased and I want to keep it for a long time (the one I stick with) and be able to eventually buy a camper that will be much heavier to tow than my boat, which the 4.6 already struggles with.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Well today I have to make a decision. I think the numbers just may work with not too bad of a hit. One last question, one of the major reasons I'm doing this is the interior and the engine. I should have gotten the 5.4 to begin with. For those of you who have the 5.4, it has to tow better than the 4.6. The 4.6 seems to cause the transmission to consantly shift with any loads >3000 lbs. It also seems to struggle a bit. I'm hoping the 5.4 isn't as bad. Thoughts and experiences?
If you're doing it for the engine, how are you going to feel when the 2011 models are released and everyone is touting the 3 new engines as the best ever?

If it were me, I would wait and get a 2011. Why buy two 'obsolete' trucks months before the newer, presumably better truck is released?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Well I went ahead and did the trade. I was amazed. I had done a lot of research and had all my pricing listed out on a spreadsheet and had a copy of the sticker and invoice when I went in. I went to the same dealership I have gone to for several vehicles, including my trade. I though my "deal" would make them laugh. Not so, without even showing it to them, they came back with a better deal! So, I got a couple grand less than I paid for my XLT on trade and a heck of a deal on the Lariat. It definately is "truck month".

I love the Lariat. It is night and day different from the XLT. I feel like I'm driving a luxury car, not a truck. But I'm sure it will perform like a truck when needed. By the way, I've only driven it 9 miles home from the dealership, but I can already feel the difference in the 5.4 v.s. the 4.6. The low end response is much better and I have yet to get on it at all.

I'm very pleased.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Well I went ahead and did the trade. I was amazed. I had done a lot of research and had all my pricing listed out on a spreadsheet and had a copy of the sticker and invoice when I went in. I went to the same dealership I have gone to for several vehicles, including my trade. I though my "deal" would make them laugh. Not so, without even showing it to them, they came back with a better deal! So, I got a couple grand less than I paid for my XLT on trade and a heck of a deal on the Lariat. It definately is "truck month".

I love the Lariat. It is night and day different from the XLT. I feel like I'm driving a luxury car, not a truck. But I'm sure it will perform like a truck when needed. By the way, I've only driven it 9 miles home from the dealership, but I can already feel the difference in the 5.4 v.s. the 4.6. The low end response is much better and I have yet to get on it at all.

I'm very pleased.
Congrats on your new truck! I have no doubt you'll be pleased. Everyone keeps talking about the new engines in 2011 but I'm still strongly suspecting it will be 2012 before they hit the F150s in mass. Time will tell. Either way I'm very pleased with my 5.4 so I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Congrats again! Post some pics!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks. I'll have to get some pics this weekend. I agree on the new engines. If they come out in 2011, I'm sure they will be in high demand/low supply, which equals high price. Just like the new Mustang with the 5.0. I'm satisfied with the HP and torque of the 5.4 and the things that can be done with it. I'm also starting to play with my 4.6L Mustang. I won't be able to get it to 412 hp, but I can get it close enough for me. Unless you are racing, the Mustang is plenty of fun as is.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on New F-150