5 best mods for 2009 and up, $150 or less

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LIUNARep
^^^ Awesome looking truck DeereGeff!!

How is the caliper paint holding up?
Thanks for the compliment.

The paint is holding up OK, but I have had just as good of luck using high temp engine paint and clear in the past. I'll probably touch them up a little when I switch back to my summer wheels in a week or so.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 PM
DeereGeff, did you put the clear bra on yourself? Have you ever done something like that before?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by MarkY
DeereGeff, did you put the clear bra on yourself? Have you ever done something like that before?
I did install the clear bra myself. I bought it off of eBay for $45 shipped, thought it was worth it even if I had to replace it a few times.

The brand is Nu Solis and it was pre-cut for the truck. I installed it myself and this is the first time I had done it. I have done window tint in the past which was pretty similar, except the clear bra needs to be stretched a bit as you install it. It took my son and me most of an afternoon, but it was time well spent with each other.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I did install the clear bra myself. I bought it off of eBay for $45 shipped, thought it was worth it even if I had to replace it a few times.

The brand is Nu Solis and it was pre-cut for the truck. I installed it myself and this is the first time I had done it. I have done window tint in the past which was pretty similar, except the clear bra needs to be stretched a bit as you install it. It took my son and me most of an afternoon, but it was time well spent with each other.
Thanks for the info. I have a Platinum as well. Did you just cover the lower bumper, like from fog light to fog light? I'm thinking that is really all I need to cover. I might give this a try. It sounds like if you screw it up, you can just peel it off.

One other thing... could you have done this by yourself? I'll probably be a one man band unless I get my wife to lend a hand.

Last edited by MarkY; 03-19-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a Platinum as well. Did you just cover the lower bumper, like from fog light to fog light? I'm thinking that is really all I need to cover. I might give this a try. It sounds like if you screw it up, you can just peel it off.

I did the bumper and the area below the grill as well. The kit I bought had strips for the front of the hood as well, but I didn't use them. You are correct, if you screw it up or don't like it you can just peel it off.

If you decide to do it, just be sure to use lots of water between the film and truck to ease the removal of bubbles.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Think the install can be done by one person?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 PM
You converted a 2WD to a 4WD for only $26?
Sure!! Am I allowed to post a link to another forum here? I explained it all here: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/four-wh...ive-mod-48005/

Basically, I thought that the coin holder on the 4x2 models was a useless item and a waste of space. So I spent $26 at Tasca to buy a 4x4 switch and mount it where the coin holder is. The 4x4 wiring harness is already installed and clipped to the back of the coin holder, so the switch is wired and illuminated.

So now whenever I want to, I turn the switch to 4x4 and vroom, vroom, I'm in virtual 4 wheel drive!!

It is just as useless as the coin holder, but looks a lot cooler!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Abn150
Sure!! Am I allowed to post a link to another forum here? I explained it all here: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/four-wh...ive-mod-48005/

Basically, I thought that the coin holder on the 4x2 models was a useless item and a waste of space. So I spent $26 at Tasca to buy a 4x4 switch and mount it where the coin holder is. The 4x4 wiring harness is already installed and clipped to the back of the coin holder, so the switch is wired and illuminated.

So now whenever I want to, I turn the switch to 4x4 and vroom, vroom, I'm in virtual 4 wheel drive!!

LOL wow...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 PM

nice! now people dont need to buy 4x4's anymore.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 AM
That is a classic. Love it. I wonder what else would fit in that space. I'm thinking a clock. It is nice that the wiring is already there.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 AM
deeregeffe, do you see a noticable line on the clear bra?? do you have any tips/how to to tint the 3rd brake light??? i have harley heads/tails and would like to get the 3rd brake to match them, there's really nothing aftermarket out there yet....thanks! oh and to add to the thread:
harley tails ($135)
tint to match factory and eyebrow ($90)
4" stainless tips ($90)
stealth turn signal bulbs ($8)
black fillers to replace orange fillers on side mirrors ($12)
roush lower bumper insert ($80 orginionally, cut up leftovers from first grille so...$40?)
xlt chrome edition grille (but that was about $190)
that's all i can think of for now....

Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 AM
What are the black fillers? Pics by chance?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:38 AM
the black "fillers just replace the orange reflectors (and i think they look a h*ll of a lot better, they are made for the xl's), if they weather is nicer tomorrow up here (it started to rain today), i will be posting pics in this 09-11 section of my new fillers, raptor heads, chrome bulb turn signals, and lower roush grille valance on my white sand....

Old 03-20-2010, 01:53 AM
here are some crude pics, light was not my friend....will post pics on a new thread tomorrow....

Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Ah, on the mirrors, I was hoping you meant on the headlights.

I have an XL.

Quick Reply: 5 best mods for 2009 and up, $150 or less