2009 - 2014 F-150

About to buy a new Lariat, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a new Lariat, please help!

I know its long,but please help!!!

I walked into the Dealership last saturday, I did all my homework before coming in. I knew what the deals were, and I was more or less educating the salesman. I printed the window sticker offline, and took it to him and said, show it to me, this is what I want. The dealership is advertising 8l off all F150's. $4k of that is Ford Motor rebates, and another $4k is I guess just the wiggle room they want to show on the price.

I come in and we sit down and talk. I told him look, I dont want to sit here all day and haggle with you, Go back there, get me the absolute bottom dollar, and I will take the truck from you. SO he goes and comes back, and what does he do? Sticker minus the advertised 8k.

I said no. Just told him, why would you advert. your best deal.

This truck is a 2010 Screw, Lariat, Ingot Silver, fairly good amount of options and stickers at $40,590

He comes out and shows me his price, I said thanks but no thanks, and he said well what would you like to see, I said I will not buy this truck for a dollar over $30,000 out the door, +++, he comes back and says cant do it. So I say well, thanks.(Im in college, and this does not included student $500)

So I leave, he calls back Monday and says, lets deal, he said, I will let you have it for $31,995, after your Student discount, I said so you gave me $5 off, NO.

He then calls me back the following day and said what do you think about the $31,995, I said, all you did was subtract my student cash. So No.

What can I do to get him down to my $30k +++, my dealership has a deal going that if you can make a free throw then $500 off, ok, but if a shot is gonna make the difference between a sale or not, just give it to me.

Are there any other rebates I can pull, Im so far getting, 4k from FM by financing through them (then I will turn around and finance at 3.99%) and there $4,000 rebate that the dealership apparently wants to give me. $500 student cash back and a possible $500 from making a free throw.

Am I being greedy for wanting this price? What can I do, what options could I have him throw on the truck to supplement the difference if he wont come off the price.

He will be calling me again tomorrow to see if I changed my mind. Please anybody can help me tonight I would be greatly appreaciative.

THanks, and sorry for the long post.

Truck is '10, Screw, Lariat, Ingot Silver, Black Interior, with 3.73, 20" Alu. WHeels, Plus Package, sunroof, max tow, power heated mirrors, and Leather trimmed cpt chairs.

THanks again.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Don't waste another minute with him. Better to deal with the Internet salesman/woman. If not there, somewhere else. They are usually salaried and not on commission. Do your negotiating via email or phone w/o setting foot on their lot. When you are on their turf, they are at the advantage...better to deal with them at your convenience and make them earn the sale than letting them wear you down and signing for a higher price just to get it over with. Then all you have to do is go in and sign the papers. Also, make sure that you are pre-qualified at the place you plan on re-financing the truck with so that there are no "surprises" later. BTW, You are going to be real close to their dealer cost and maybe even below it with what you are wanting to pay. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Is that price good to you or are you going to stick to what you have decided on. We all get different deal some better then other but in the long run if you are happy with the truck then it was a good deal for you. One thing to consider is no two people will pay the same price for the same truck.

John

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Tell the dealer to price it at invoice. Invoice pricing minus the 4k in rebates. A done deal. If they won't deal, there are plenty of other dealers that will. No one should be paying sticker price for anything.

Just be careful you don't get it in the shorts when you do the paperwork.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesgrisard
This truck is a 2010 Screw, Lariat, Ingot Silver, fairly good amount of options and stickers at $40,590

He comes out and shows me his price, I said thanks but no thanks, and he said well what would you like to see, I said I will not buy this truck for a dollar over $30,000 out the door, +++, he comes back and says cant do it. So I say well, thanks.(Im in college, and this does not included student $500)

So I leave, he calls back Monday and says, lets deal, he said, I will let you have it for $31,995, after your Student discount, I said so you gave me $5 off, NO.
That was the perfect negotiation. You gave them the price at which you would take it. They said no, and now they can work to raise your price until they get tired. You were asking for $10,500 off of sticker, which I seriously doubt is available at this time. They have offered you $8,500 off of sticker which may be $500 better than the going rate. The case may be that if your not going to take the $31,995 then there will be no deal. I frequently use a number like the $30k to get me out of the discussion and on my way home. If it a very effective way of ending the discussion because now they have said 'No thank you.'

If your still interested, but not going to take it at $31,995, then offer $30,995 to keep the discussion going. The best time to make this offer is one hour before an appointment you have to keep.

Better yet, stop at another dealer with a similar truck. Tell the new dealer that your not interested in talking numbers because your on your way to make an offer on the first one, and you just wanted to compare the options on this second truck for a reference. Feel free to provide the numbers on your first deal if he/she should ask. They will make for interesting conversation. Any more than fifteen minutes is a waste of your time. Have your wife call your cell phone every fifteen minutes to make sure you move along. They do this all day every day, that is all the time they need. They will either act quickly or not.

Most importantly, have fun with it. There is always another truck. Ford is making more as we type.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I appreciate the input guys, I have actually been talking to the internet salesman at a dealer ship prior to going to this salesmen (he was referred to us by a friend.) Basically, I went back to my internet sales man, and I told him, look, I just got the bottom dollar from XXX dealer ship, now give me yours, and if its lower then you have earned my business, he priced me at $33,800 on a truck that sticker for $39,380, so that was near a deal, and I said, is that the best, I mean, XXX Dealership beat you out(but I didn't tell them there offer) and he responded and said then by all means go with the other dealership if you can get a better price.

Would it be wrong to ask for some accessories, I really want some like al weather mats, extender, or bedliner. Can I ask for like oil changes for a certain amount of time, like 3 years of changes, or is that even an option.

I just know they can do better, but there killing me, bc I have been to all dealerships in my area, and they said they cannot beat the price on a truck they don't have, but nobody has this truck. I don't want to get into extra for haul and transport.

But like I said, I talked to them today and I said look, I want 30k, do you want business or not. So we will see what he says tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 AM
It sounds to me like you have gotten their best price. $8500 off MSRP ($4500 in rebates plus $4000 out of the goodness of their hearts) is pretty good. There will be those who say that better deals can be had. I always go back to my old saying...women lie about their ages, men lie about what they paid for their trucks.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 AM
haha thanks again for all the help. It is the truck I want, Ill probably end up getting it....I feel like if it was there absolute bottom dollar he would have told me that today, but instead he said I will let you know tomorrow. So I hope I drive one off the lot tomorrow.

THanks,

Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Wish I was doing that well in college.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 AM
chances are, you have fun in college unlike me, who just constantly works...haha

Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Did you look up the X plan pricing on Google? I got an Xplan pin number and brought that in. They then showed me all the plan pricings and got it 400 off invoice (between a-d plans) plus they went 1200 into the almost 2k in dealer hold back. Hope this helps. I also had another dealer tell me "if you can buy this truck at that price, go for it and tell them to order me one also". I went to the other dealer , bought it, and drove back to show him my paperwork. He was not too happy but I do not like to be told I am lying.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
There will be those who say that better deals can be had.
Some people state the obvious every time, saying: 'They can go lower,' which offers no information as to how close the prices is to something one should accept, or as to what they would accept. The point is we are trying to find that sweet spot where you can actually hear the salesperson squeal in the 'agony of defeat.'

Originally Posted by jamesgrisard
I told him, look, I just got the bottom dollar from XXX dealer ship, now give me yours, and if its lower then you have earned my business, he priced me at $33,800 on a truck that sticker for $39,380, so that was near a deal, and I said, is that the best, I mean, XXX Dealership beat you out(but I didn't tell them there offer) and he responded and said then by all means go with the other dealership if you can get a better price.
There is absolutely no reason for not telling them the numbers of the other offer. There is no law rule or etiquette that says this information is confidential. I like to make sure I have it in my hand, and when the ask I hand them the sheet of paper for their viewing. It adds validity to the discussion because now they can see it, and compare it to their vehicle. You don't even have to say a word, because the numbers say it all.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Watch it if you play that much hardball - they will try to make some of it up by socking you with a hefty doc fee if you are in a state that doesn't regulate that.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 AM
That price you were quoted was pretty good. I just bought a simliar Lariat. I paid $31,000. That was rock bottom. The dealer threw out their hold back and my pricing was actually $100 above the true invoice. I got the deal because I'm a good customer and keep coming back (too frequently) to the same dealer and buying vehicles. This is my fourth in three years and 6th overal. Go with the internet folks as mentioned above.

You need to watch the attitude with these folks. They will try everything they can to get you in some way if you throw them an attitude. And, honest dealers are not afraid to turn you away for a price that is not acceptable to them, because someone else will buy the vehicle. The economy is recovering. I've bought two vehicles in the last two months and both times the dealership was very busy and that is on a weekday evening. I avoid Saturdays because it is a zoo and you have to wait forever to get into Finance. All those people are potential buyers.

By the way, the FMCC rates are crap. Go with cheaper financing elsewhere and give up the $1000 you get as a rebate for financiing with FMCC.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Take the FMCC rebate,make a couple of payments, then refi at your bank or c.u. You'll be $1000 ahead. (goin to refi mine today!)

Quick Reply: About to buy a new Lariat, please help!