2009 - 2014 F-150

Question about BakFlip installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about BakFlip installation

***SOLVED*** The items that I thought were missing are actually pre-installed

Hey guys, my BakFlip arrived today and I was pretty excited to get it installed... however when I read over the instructions (yeah I actually used the instructions...) it says that 04 and up F 150s need shims for the clamps. I checked the box and no shims were included. I'm also missing the 2 Arm Stay Locks with Fastening *****.

Just curious to know from some ppl who have installed the BakFlip: do the 09 and up F 150s actually need the shims or not? The website link to verify the need for shims seems to be broken; it just takes you back to the home page.

I was hoping to get it installed this weekend.

Thanks

Last edited by digital_alchemy; 03-20-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
When mine arrived I read the same paper and did not find shims either. When you look at the rails you should see that the shims are already part of the rail.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by jesta
When mine arrived I read the same paper and did not find shims either. When you look at the rails you should see that the shims are already part of the rail.

Thanks, I went and checked. They are in fact installed already. Only problem I have now is that the driver side is not level so, when I put the top on the driver side is sitting a higher than the passenger side.

I'll have to take a look at the install in the morning when it's a bit warmer; maybe it's the way I installed the rails that's causing it.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Rail shimming

Originally Posted by digital_alchemy
Thanks, I went and checked. They are in fact installed already. Only problem I have now is that the driver side is not level so, when I put the top on the driver side is sitting a higher than the passenger side.

I'll have to take a look at the install in the morning when it's a bit warmer; maybe it's the way I installed the rails that's causing it.
I ran into an issue with the pre-installed shims that allowed the driver side rail to tilt. This caused the cover to sit high on the driver side. There is a picture in this link https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-bad-ugly.html that shows how the tilt was addressed at the bakflip factory.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having a problem with the driver's side rail not sitting straight up and down either. They swear its the source of my awful leakage and last I heard they were sending me rails with 1/8" shims instead of the normal 1/16" shims. I need to followup on the status though because its been almost a week since I heard from them and I don't know if they ever shipped them to me.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Leaks

Originally Posted by sharper4
I'm having a problem with the driver's side rail not sitting straight up and down either. They swear its the source of my awful leakage and last I heard they were sending me rails with 1/8" shims instead of the normal 1/16" shims. I need to followup on the status though because its been almost a week since I heard from them and I don't know if they ever shipped them to me.
Bakflip has tried three different tailgate seals. Which style seal did you get?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Pics?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 PM

I just put a extang maxseal on mine today, about $20 on ebay. Seems like it will keep out the water just fine. the only problem ive noticed is its harder to close the tailgate, that should work its way out as the seal sets itself in there. I also filled the end of the rail near the tailgate with some hotglue to stop it from leaking rearward into the tailgate if it was on a hill.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the standard seal.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Leaks

Originally Posted by sharper4
I have the standard seal.
I am surprised that you have a large leak with that seal. It appears to be the most robust of the three styles. I have the "wiper" style which I think they are currently using on the F1. To fix the leaks, I requested that the wiper seal be replaced with your style but never got an answer. Looks like the leak issue is the same regardless of seal style.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:54 PM

the f1 and other hd/g2 seals look the same. the seals are just suppose to be made with better longer lasting mateial on the f1. the problem just seams to be water getting in around the sides and bottom of the tailgate. thats where the tailate seal should come into place.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
I just put a extang maxseal on mine today, about $20 on ebay. Seems like it will keep out the water just fine. the only problem ive noticed is its harder to close the tailgate, that should work its way out as the seal sets itself in there. I also filled the end of the rail near the tailgate with some hotglue to stop it from leaking rearward into the tailgate if it was on a hill.
When the truck is pointed uphill, water does just dump out of the rails & into the bed. Plugging the end of the rails will prevent water from draining into the bed, provided that there is not much water. Typically there will be enough water to overflow the hot glue plug and drain into the bed anyway.

The best solution is to install rear drains onto the end of the rails. The drain lines can then be routed out the holes for the bed extender rather than dumping into the bed.

This was not possible on mine because I have the factory bed extender. I had to make some custom parts, but now have a solution that prevents water from draining from the rear of the rails into the bed. The water is now routed out of the bed & works with the factory bed extender. If you have a bed extender & would like more information, let me know.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM

i would rather have the tailgate seal to prevent the water from getting in around there, i always seemed to get most the wayer in thru there. However another drain tube would be nice, but dont think its necessary, at least right now.

Quick Reply: Question about BakFlip installation