2009 - 2014 F-150

5100's are on

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jac4x4
Had some 5100's installed and an alignment done a couple weeks ago on my 09 FX4 screw w/6.5 foot bed by a suspension/alignment shop. Had them set to the 1.5" setting and it leveled out the truck good.

The jury is still out on the ride, seems the cornering is better but it I am getting an extra clunk, clunk noise when I hit bumps on the right side. Wondering if they might of messed up on the alignment or maybe a bad shock. guess I'll take it back and see what they say. I can't imagine there is anyway to install them wrong.
It's because your front coils are under such a big preload. I'm bringing my truck back in to have them lower the setting. I rather have a little rake than this terriblely rough ride and clunk noise when going over bumps etc.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by deerhunter0743
The ride is excellent, I dont know that it is any smoother but the cornering and handling are amazing, I'm taking turns at 75 that before were scary at 65 before
Who do I believe ^^^^^

Originally Posted by slimcubby
It's because your front coils are under such a big preload. I'm bringing my truck back in to have them lower the setting. I rather have a little rake than this terriblely rough ride and clunk noise when going over bumps etc.
or ^^^^^

Old 05-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I think my load range E tires are adding to the rough ride. Before the tires and the 5100's it rode like a caddy.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Had some 5100's installed and an alignment done a couple weeks ago on my 09 FX4 screw w/6.5 foot bed by a suspension/alignment shop. Had them set to the 1.5" setting and it leveled out the truck good.

The jury is still out on the ride, seems the cornering is better but it I am getting an extra clunk, clunk noise when I hit bumps on the right side. Wondering if they might of messed up on the alignment or maybe a bad shock. guess I'll take it back and see what they say. I can't imagine there is anyway to install them wrong.
Check the mounting hardware on the right shock, something may be loose. FWIW, I just replaced the Bilstein HD's on my 07 with a new set and I think they have softened them up a bit. They still offer great control but with a somewhat smoother ride.

Preload shouldn't be an issue. If it was, he should be hearing the same noises from both sides.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I think my load range E tires are adding to the rough ride. Before the tires and the 5100's it rode like a caddy.
Rode on 5100's (set at 2.25") for a week with the stock GY Wrangler SRA's and the ride was better than stock. Now that the Load Range E tires (set at 40 psi) are on, the ride is much firmer. Had the same experience with my 2005.

Last edited by BlacknTan; 05-23-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I do not believe that your front coil springs are under any greater of a pre-load by moving the spring seat up further on the strut. Your truck did not gain any weight did it? Then the springs will not be loaded any more, they are still holding up the same amount of mass. The spring just sits higher which makes the truck sit higher.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great... Nice transformation... Well done...

Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by svt2205
Check the mounting hardware on the right shock, something may be loose. FWIW, I just replaced the Bilstein HD's on my 07 with a new set and I think they have softened them up a bit. They still offer great control but with a somewhat smoother ride.

Preload shouldn't be an issue. If it was, he should be hearing the same noises from both sides.
OK so I finally got around to looking at my Bilstein 5100 shocks cuz they were not feeling good at all on the right side. Actually felt like a blown shock when going over bumps.
First thing I noticed is that the top of the shock bolt on the right was a quarter inch shorter than the left side sticking thru the shock mount.....that don't seem right.
Brought the truck back to the shop and pointed this out and they fixed it in 5 minutes.
Truck rides sweet now and I think the 5100s are great.
I asked the guy who hosed it up and fixed it if I needed my alignment adjusted now and he said no....does that make sense?????????

Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He only tightened the strut bolt. Shouldn't make any difference with the alignment.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by f4ipilot
I do not believe that your front coil springs are under any greater of a pre-load by moving the spring seat up further on the strut. Your truck did not gain any weight did it? Then the springs will not be loaded any more, they are still holding up the same amount of mass. The spring just sits higher which makes the truck sit higher.
Now this doesn't make sense IMO. There is definitely a bigger load on the springs with the 5100's. The fact that they have to compress the coil so much more just to get it seated on the strut shows there is more of a load on the coil.

I still have a clunk noise coming from both sides when going over speed bumps. I even noticed when I got over a bump when I am going up hill it almost has the front bounce like a lowrider on hydraulics. I am definitely going to bring it in and have them drop the c clip to the next notch.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Now this doesn't make sense IMO. There is definitely a bigger load on the springs with the 5100's. The fact that they have to compress the coil so much more just to get it seated on the strut shows there is more of a load on the coil.

I still have a clunk noise coming from both sides when going over speed bumps. I even noticed when I got over a bump when I am going up hill it almost has the front bounce like a lowrider on hydraulics. I am definitely going to bring it in and have them drop the c clip to the next notch.
I had the clunk noise also until I brought it back and had them tighten the strut bolt, If you want I will measure how much thread is sticking up above the bolt.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I had the clunk noise also until I brought it back and had them tighten the strut bolt, If you want I will measure how much thread is sticking up above the bolt.
Can you take a picture of what they tightened? That way I can eyeball and see if mine appears looser. Also, do you have any problems with the traction control? Mine seems to act up around slow turns like onramps to freeways.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Can you take a picture of what they tightened? That way I can eyeball and see if mine appears looser. Also, do you have any problems with the traction control? Mine seems to act up around slow turns like onramps to freeways.
Damn...all these problems from installing a good set of shocks. What is the world coming to....

I hope your issues get resolved, because I want a set of these on my truck.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Sure I'll take a pic, try to do it today. I have not noticed any traction control issues.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks jac4x4! I am hoping there is a noticable difference from yours to mine so that I can fix my problems. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 5100's are on