2009 - 2014 F-150

FX4 option question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
freeky,

I was debating why you had posted in another thread why the NAV may decrease resale value. I didn't realize at the time what all it controls. My Chrysler 300 has NAV, but it is 'old school' from 2005. It doesn't contol the whole vehilce like the description here indicates. I would not pay the $2,400 either. You can get a very nice laptop for that!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM
rok
geez for 2400 you could get a badarse lift kit!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
People, you are NOT paying $2400 for a nav radio... Are you paying MSRP for the truck? Didn't think so... Most trucks today are going for around 25% off MSRP when you include dealer discounts and Ford rebates. Hence, true street price of that unit is appx $1800. On a 60 month note, you're talking appx $36/month.

Included in that is the Sony 700W stereo (yes, I know, some ppl laugh at the true 700W rating but that's for another argument...) and touch screen control of everything on the vehicle, as others have stated. Most of us are visual learners so this is going to be of benefit to nearly everyone on here. Modifying all your custom settings are MUCH easier when you have a big 7 or 8" screen to look at than a tiny 2-line LCD display window. Listen to the guys who have one. "...I never thought I needed one till I had this one and now I won't go w/o...". "...sold my Garmin after I got this nav unit...". Pretty powerful stuff. And what do the guys w/o one say? "...save the money...". "...it decreases resale value...". Neither one of those has any basis. B/c for one, two FX4's standing side by side 4 yrs from now and who have the same exact setup, color, and mileage, save for the nav, who do you think is going to be worth more? Bingo...

Also consider that the nav also has the Sirius Travel Link pkg as well. This includes, as others have noted, fuel prices of nearby stations and routing to the cheapest station, movie times and locations, sports scores and schedules, real time weather maps, traffic alerts with visual cues, etc etc. There may be even more features, those are just ones I can think of off the top of my head.

So if an extra ~$36/month is going to kill your monthly payment, then so be it, no matter the feature. The goal is to get something that you're both physically and financially comfortable with. But you must also consider resale. IT WILL HAVE A HIGHER RESALE VALUE IN THE END, ALL THINGS ELSE BEING EQUAL. So you will earn some of that money back come trade-in/resale time.

A good idea would be to find a buddy who has one and sit in the truck and just play with it. Or if you absolutely don't know anyone with an 09/10 nav unit, go to a dealer and sit in one and have a sales guy go thru all the features on it. You should know at that point which direction to go.

Hope this helps

Last edited by RedFX2; 03-23-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Sirius is not an add-on with the nav, comes std.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
I held out untill i could find a FX4 screw with moonroof and no nav. I am so happy i did!! What i'm putting in now is a pioneer z110bt which you can pick up for $799 (MSRP $1800) and two leather headrest swith monitors, total cost is around $1400, and in my opinion that blows away the factory nav option bang for your buck. Also in 3-4 years if a new nav comes out that is technically advanced, i can easily just swap it out, and maybe even get a few bucks for my used pioneer. Also if im not mistaken , the Sirus option is only a promotion for 6 months, after that you have to pay for it.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't think any of us are saying the NAV is a bad idea, it just seems expensive, either way. I can get a laptop that does all that fun stuff for less money and take it with me wherever I go, not just use it in my truck. Okay, maybe it wouldn't talk to me, but I'd live. I hate that damn NAV voice in my wife's 300!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
I held out untill i could find a FX4 screw with moonroof and no nav. I am so happy i did!! What i'm putting in now is a pioneer z110bt which you can pick up for $799 (MSRP $1800) and two leather headrest swith monitors, total cost is around $1400, and in my opinion that blows away the factory nav option bang for your buck. Also in 3-4 years if a new nav comes out that is technically advanced, i can easily just swap it out, and maybe even get a few bucks for my used pioneer. Also if im not mistaken , the Sirus option is only a promotion for 6 months, after that you have to pay for it.
Yes, after 6 months you have to pay for Sirius....but you can have it for $77/year.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by RedFX2
People, you are NOT paying $2400 for a nav radio... Are you paying MSRP for the truck? Didn't think so... Most trucks today are going for around 25% off MSRP when you include dealer discounts and Ford rebates. Hence, true street price of that unit is appx $1800. On a 60 month note, you're talking appx $36/month.

Included in that is the Sony 700W stereo (yes, I know, some ppl laugh at the true 700W rating but that's for another argument...) and touch screen control of everything on the vehicle, as others have stated. Most of us are visual learners so this is going to be of benefit to nearly everyone on here. Modifying all your custom settings are MUCH easier when you have a big 7 or 8" screen to look at than a tiny 2-line LCD display window. Listen to the guys who have one. "...I never thought I needed one till I had this one and now I won't go w/o...". "...sold my Garmin after I got this nav unit...". Pretty powerful stuff. And what do the guys w/o one say? "...save the money...". "...it decreases resale value...". Neither one of those has any basis. B/c for one, two FX4's standing side by side 4 yrs from now and who have the same exact setup, color, and mileage, save for the nav, who do you think is going to be worth more? Bingo...

Also consider that the nav also has the Sirius Travel Link pkg as well. This includes, as others have noted, fuel prices of nearby stations and routing to the cheapest station, movie times and locations, sports scores and schedules, real time weather maps, traffic alerts with visual cues, etc etc. There may be even more features, those are just ones I can think of off the top of my head.

So if an extra ~$36/month is going to kill your monthly payment, then so be it, no matter the feature. The goal is to get something that you're both physically and financially comfortable with. But you must also consider resale. IT WILL HAVE A HIGHER RESALE VALUE IN THE END, ALL THINGS ELSE BEING EQUAL. So you will earn some of that money back come trade-in/resale time.

A good idea would be to find a buddy who has one and sit in the truck and just play with it. Or if you absolutely don't know anyone with an 09/10 nav unit, go to a dealer and sit in one and have a sales guy go thru all the features on it. You should know at that point which direction to go.

Hope this helps
Well said and great points made. And who pays MSRP anymore?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I like when people who bought the nav try to justify the purchase. I just wonder how many of them would have bought it if the identical truck, minus the nav, if it had been available. Most probably got it because it was in the truck already. Now they are trying to make themselves feel better about a touch screen that can control their air conditioner. I don't know how a a touchscreen can be more "visual" than three big *****.

Anyway, back on topic. The OP has repeatedly said he does not want the nav. I don't blame him. That $2400 can buy a lot of things more useful than a radio. A radio that anyone with any knowledge of car stereo will tell you doesn't even sound good. For $2400, you can put together a decent sound system with navigation. You could buy a set of aftermarket wheels and tires. You can buy a lift. How many of you guys with the nav would have actually not bought your truck if it had not had the nav?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just wonder how many of them would have bought it if the identical truck, minus the nav, if it had been available. Most probably got it because it was in the truck already
Well...actually there were 2 identical trucks on the lot - white FX4 w/Lux, Max Tow etc - I mean identical except one had the NAV and one didn't.

I test drove the one without the NAV, and while hemming around thinking about the truck, I let the salesman show me the NAV.

The one with the NAV is in my barn.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Years ago I had a hard time getting a new vehicle with power windows b/c of the thought of them breaking. That nav system needing to be repaired was one reason it turned me off from getting it. One less thing to worry about and I dont feel like I will not get along without it. Besides, me and the wife love to give eachother directions.

It also depends where you live and how you plan to use the vehicle. If your going to be pulling a trailer accross new country then it might be a good idea. If you live in an area where there are only a few main roads and you will be driving them 99% of the time I would say throw the extra $$$ at upgrading the crappy tires it comes with.

J

Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Pig9r
In order to get the moonroof you have to get the sony nav, they are one option packaged together. I wanted nav but did not want a moonroof. I did get the Sony radio, it was about a $450 option. Well worth it.

I doubt the rebates are going to go away anytime soon.
I was able to get the moonroof without the Nav. I have premium sound with a 6 disc changer and all the greatness of SYNC, but no NAV. I own a 2009 so maybe they changed it in 2010.

Anyway, When I was purchasing my truck I sorta researched the NAV (I put little effort into it) I saw a post in a forum that stated you have to update your maps and it cost about $200. I don't know if this is true but I paid $200 for my Garmin and got free updates forever. Good Luck, these trucks are GREAT!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
If you get the backup camera, you would want the Nav. The camera picture on the Nav screen is great.
I know you can use the touch screen for many things, but the sync also allows you to change those setting via voice.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
The backup camera display in my mirror works just fine. I just bought a nice GPS for $150 on sale. I has everything I need. I also bought a very nice laptop. I still haven't spent $2k on the two items.

Quick Reply: FX4 option question