2009 - 2014 F-150

Anybody have a pic w/ a back rack??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have a pic w/ a back rack??

Newb here looking at getting into the f150 game. Does anybody have a pic of a back rack (and any other headache rack for that matter) on an 09+? Im looking at getting a XLT scab "New England ed." (read: chrome package) white w/ silver two tone.

I like the looks of the "Back Rack" but I've never seen it on the 150. In fact, I usually see it on 3/4 ton trucks and I'm wondering if it will look weird on the 1/2 ton.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 PM
I've seen it on the following F-150 model years, and it looked great:
1997-2003MY F-150
2004-2008MY F-150

I haven't seen any 09-10's with one, though. They aren't much different from the '04's, so I'm sure it'll look just as nice. They even have them now in just plain black, without that stupid "Back-Rack" written in white up top in the middle anymore, much cleaner look.

To be honest, it's still quite rare to see any '09-'10's at all, never mind with any type of modifications.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to your local steel shop and have a welder custom make a back rack imitation for you

Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM
We have Back Racks on all the trucks at work, including my 2008 F-150. Much better to mount the light bars to them instead of the roof. I have 35,000 miles of highway maintenance on mine and you can start to see some rust in the welds. The other thing to consider is the rails, they elevate a toolbox about 2" which can reduce the visibility out of the backglass with a standard height toolbox. If I were to get one for my personal truck I'd look into rhino lining it first. No pics though, sorry.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Post another take on back-rack regarding lightbar mounting

Re: back-rack lightbar mounting

I've had full-size lightbars permanent mounted to 3 of my 4 F-150's over the years, and they all looked amazing and never had a lick of trouble. Had considered a back-rack on several occasions when buying a another new F-150, but I always like the clean look of them mounted right to the roof rather than up on the back-rack, plus I like the clean look of the truck as a whole without the back-rack taking away from that look.; They look fine for work trucks, but for someone like myself who always keeps his trucks as stock and immaculate as possible, well, the lightbars went up perfectly with nary an issue ever and looked fantastic. Not trying to start anything, just giving my opinion.

Now, if you were choosing between a back-rack mounting or a non-permanent mount option, then I'd go for the back rack. Those stupid pillar clapms look like crap and I'm sure they must cause all kinds of scraping and scratching as they shift with the movement of the vehicle. No thanks. Just go permanent mount or back-rack instead. Even permanent mount can be removed if you wish by any decent installer, but then again, who wants to do that? Easier just to buy your new F-150 and the newest lightbar available - looks better staying current, again, my personal opinion.

1997 F-150: 8-strobe Edge w/TakeDowns, rear work lights and alleys.
1998 F-150: 12-strobe EDGE w/TakeDowns, rear flashers & alleys.
2004 F-150: 14-LED Liberty w/TakeDowns and alleys.
2009 F-150: nothing yet, have always known I'll trade up soon because of new engines, either 2011 (or 2012 if it's all-new).
*all lightbars were permanent mounts, and 48" fits nicer than the longer 52" which is what is recommended for the F-150. My '98 had a 52" and it just barely matched up with the edges of the roof. 48" looks perfect in my opinion.

As you can see, that's why I was pissed Ford didn't have LED's for lighting in their trucks in 2004, because I had a damn full-size lightbar all LED's DOT approved and Ford was still behind the times. Then comes 2009, and damn if Ford isn't scared out of their minds by LED's and still doesn't have them. I'm of the mind to go down to the design team and stick LED's to their foreheads so they understand what an LED is, and to not be so unbelievably scared to put them in their trucks.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 AM
You're getting your vehicle replaced much more frequently than we are. My 2008 F-150 replaced a 1997 F-150. The back-rack lets you route the wiring cleanly into the truck just about wherever you want. Roof-mounting makes you either go through roof, eventually leaking into the headliner or over the back of the cab leaving the wiring more exposed. I prefer the back-rack mounting, with all the rest of the crap on my truck, there's no hiding its true purpose. I do agree with you on the LEDs, I had the first at my unit and they are slick. Get more attention both day and night and the power consumption is sweet.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. The lighting options are a big reason for why I want one.

When I said I'd never seen it on the 150, I probably should have specified the 09+. I have seen many older trucks with em' and the look/work great.

Also, does anybody know who makes the ones that are integrated into the bed rails or are most of those custom made?

Quick Reply: Anybody have a pic w/ a back rack??