2009 - 2014 F-150

How much should I pay for extended warranty? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a HID ballast go out on an Acura. One side was $700. It was covered by extended warranty. To me it's piece of mind. Hopefully won't need it, but you'll be happy when ***** hits the fan and you use it.

My in-law's Ford Freestyle needed a new transmission, I'm pretty sure it ran over $4500. This was at 37k miles, I ***** you not, and the service department wouldn't work with him. He called Ford and they threw in an extended warranty --- but wouldn't help any on the transmission. So he is covered for a while, but I am still red hot over it.

Also, just a gut check ... the best CD rates are running about 2%.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justi
I just paid $1599 for the 5yr/100k PremiumCare. I don't know if it was a great deal but I know it wasn't a bad deal. Adds piece of mind and the electronics in this thing scares the crap out of me so worth it, to me.
Unfortunately that's not a good price.

When I bought mine in November, I searched all the internet Ford ESP dealers and the cheapest I could find was at http://www.fordwarrantys.com. It was $900 less than the dealer's best offer.

http://www.fordwarrantys.com may have raised their prices since then, but I would at least check them out.

BTW, you can always cancel your old warranty and buy a new one (and pocket the difference). It'll cost you $75.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM
F150 is right, you can get the warranty anytime during the 3/36 period. However, you likely won't get the same dealer at which you bought the vehicle. I just checked out shotgunz link, those are good prices. Right now I'm covered to 75K. I may extent that to 100K after I've had the truck for a while and decide how long I think I will keep it.

Back to the warranty during the factory warranty period, I bought a used Mustang with very low mileage, but it is 3 years old. The factory warranty expires in a month. Originally, I was offered a used car warranty that was very expensive and I declined. I went back and was able to get the same warranty I could have gotten if I'd of bought it new for a price similar to shown on the link above. It just takes a little homework and it is worth it in my opinion.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
They are on eBay and various website listed above. All you have to do is call with VIN and credit card # any Ford dealer can sell it. 12-1400 is the true cost of a 5/100 plan. I wouldn't even think about a 3yr warranty these trucks are built better than that. It is beyond 5/100 that I have experienced expensive issues. My diesel went 4/75k before leaking head gaskets... Never had a trans or interior problem.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM
for those of you that feel you must buy a warranty, dont finance it, and like was said eairler dont buy it from the dealer, i still maintain not to buy it at all but if you do, those are my recomendations.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Why not buy it from the dealer if it is the right price? Plus, when I went back to get mine on my Mustang, I was able to pay 0% for 18mos. I could have given them a check, but why?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Unfortunately that's not a good price.

When I bought mine in November, I searched all the internet Ford ESP dealers and the cheapest I could find was at http://www.fordwarrantys.com. It was $900 less than the dealer's best offer.

http://www.fordwarrantys.com may have raised their prices since then, but I would at least check them out.

BTW, you can always cancel your old warranty and buy a new one (and pocket the difference). It'll cost you $75.
Checking out your link they quote the price of my exact warranty at $1505. While better than my $1599 it's not considerably better and this way I'm done.

I've no complaints. They started at $2200 for the warranty and I ended up with $1599 which is only $94 worse that what you're stating is the best price available. I can live with that...

Quick Reply: How much should I pay for extended warranty? HELP!