2009 - 2014 F-150

Has anyone put bigger tires on a 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traction control? thats what i thought after i backed out of a parking space with the 275/65/20s on the 20x9(-12 offset). i hopped out and saw that the tire was still rubbing the front valance on the right side, even after i trimmed it. felt exactly like the traction control tho. didnt see the light come on but the sound is deffinately the same. and ive got the 2' AS and the 3' block in the back. i think its just the backspacing thats the issue.

how did you guys fix the traction control thing if thats what it is?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I went to a culdesac today and drove around in circles. The noise started and I saw the traction control light come on. I turned the traction control off, aqnd the noise stopped. I am positive this is what is happening when I make a turn. I also put masking tape on everything, and it was not rubbing anywhere.

Apparently, the computer that runs the traction control is set up for the tires that came with it, 275/55/20's. I found a guy on another website that said "For a traction control light to come on you must get a different speed signal from front to rear or left to right from many different speed sensing sensors. Since you have changed the tire size you have affected the speed sensing. I suggest your first step to be getting the dealership to re progrom the programmable paramenters with a IDS scan tool and enter the tire and rim size your currently have since the computer is trying to make everything work as it should according to the original tires."

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...#ixzz0jWJ1Qlqn

I plan on calling my dealer tomorrow. Until then, I will just turn the TC off (button above the stereo with the car burning the tires on it). If that works, I'll be sure to post it. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

How hard is it to post pics? Is there a how-to page? I'll try to get some up this week.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:04 PM
So I went to the dealer today, they couldn't change the tire size in the computer. They were able to go a little larger, but apparently, they are only able to put in certain sizes. They got me to 33" from 31.9", but I have 34.58". I am told that Superchips Flashpak has tire calibration, so it looks like I may be doing some more mods.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
would an edge help in this situation?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:21 PM
rok
edge would i believe. I know a gryphon will!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM
in edge we trust!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Called another dealer with a truck specialty service center. He seemed to think it would be no problem...wish me luck. I go tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by MTNEER

How hard is it to post pics? Is there a how-to page? I'll try to get some up this week.
Upload pics to your profile in your album. Open the pic you want to copy to a thread and copy the BB code.

Paste the BB Code in the thread text.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by rok
edge would i believe. I know a gryphon will!
Egde and Gryphon do not yet have programers for the 09-10 trucks... for whatever reason.

MTNEER,
does Ford not have a 35" tire calibration?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by MTNEER
I went to a culdesac today and drove around in circles. The noise started and I saw the traction control light come on. I turned the traction control off, aqnd the noise stopped. I am positive this is what is happening when I make a turn. I also put masking tape on everything, and it was not rubbing anywhere.

Apparently, the computer that runs the traction control is set up for the tires that came with it, 275/55/20's. I found a guy on another website that said "For a traction control light to come on you must get a different speed signal from front to rear or left to right from many different speed sensing sensors. Since you have changed the tire size you have affected the speed sensing. I suggest your first step to be getting the dealership to re progrom the programmable paramenters with a IDS scan tool and enter the tire and rim size your currently have since the computer is trying to make everything work as it should according to the original tires."

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...#ixzz0jWJ1Qlqn

I plan on calling my dealer tomorrow. Until then, I will just turn the TC off (button above the stereo with the car burning the tires on it). If that works, I'll be sure to post it. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

I wish it worked that easy, TCS turns back off as soon as you go above 35mph.

Pretty sure with a 34.6" tire you are rubbing on either the balljoint/ UCA (not likely with a 285 tire), the lower valence and or rear of the fender wheel arch, or the the tire is coming in contact with the sway bar (<<< this is where i am rubbing)

This is with a 305-55-20 (33.4x12.5) MT tire on stock 20" rims.

Did you trim any of the plastics?

I had to cut both the front lower valence and the plastic fender flair at the rocker panel (rear fender arch)

Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM
rok
Originally Posted by F_ast
Egde and Gryphon do not yet have programers for the 09-10 trucks... for whatever reason.
True but i think i heard an april release date somewhere on here. But who knows?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by rok
True but i think i heard an april release date somewhere on here. But who knows?
I hear July.. But also heard it is Edge that is holding back gryphon... Something like that.

Wonder what the holdup really is????

Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 AM
rok
Oh well at least hopefully its out before I buy my truck

Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by F_ast

MTNEER,
does Ford not have a 35" tire calibration?
The dealer I went to yesterday didn't have it, but the one today seems to think it is no big deal...we'll find out at 1 PM.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Has anyone put bigger tires on a 2010?