2009 - 2014 F-150

Has anyone put bigger tires on a 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes i have stock tires

but evertime i tow my trailer down the mountain on 2 turns it kicks in going no more than 15 mph with a 3000 trailer

i reason for thinking this my truck level out, just the same as you adding a leveling kit

In Ford's RSC system, a gyroscopic sensor determines the vehicle's body roll angle and roll rate. Along with Ford developed algorithms embedded in advanced software, this information is used with other vehicle sensors' inertial information including yaw rate, and lateral and longitudinal accelerations to monitor the vehicle's roll stability condition approximately 150 times per second. If the vehicle approaches an unstable situation, the vehicle's RSC system is activated: engine power is reduced and/or the brakes are applied to one or more of the wheels as necessary to help regain vehicle stability.

and what im thinking is that having a level truck throws the system off

read page 274 of the owners manual

so what im thinking is if you want a lifted truck you must lift it the same front and rear to keep same factory rack

and maybe thats why some with big lift kits have no issues?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
GREAT! Looks like the tires and rims I was looking at will now be on hold. This is very frustrating and I can't believe what MTNEER is going through....

Ordered a 2010 FXX4 SCREW and upgraded the tires on the 18" stock rims to a goodyear Dura Trac 295/65R18. Added a 2 in AS so I should have the same problems as you MTNEER. I was then thinking of getting a summer 20" rim with some 305-285 Trail grappler type tire....that is def. on hold till this gets solved.

Sorry to hear MTNEER.

keep me posted if you hear anything.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
redFX4150,

That makes a lot of sense, and I'll bet money you are right, but truth be told...if I go and buy more aftermarket parts to lift the back, and it doesn't work, I might be getting divorced. I'm going to let someone else figure this whole thing out, then revisit the idea when I need new tires a few years from now. I fought OEM and OEM won. I am going to keep my AS kit in the garage, just in case. I'd rather have it waiting than try to sell it for $40 or something less. I really hope someone figures this problem out.

I may start a thread asking about anyone with a 2009-2011 with the leveling kit on both the front and back. maybe they could tell us it is no problem.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by MTNEER
redFX4150,

That makes a lot of sense, and I'll bet money you are right, but truth be told...if I go and buy more aftermarket parts to lift the back, and it doesn't work, I might be getting divorced. I'm going to let someone else figure this whole thing out, then revisit the idea when I need new tires a few years from now. I fought OEM and OEM won. I am going to keep my AS kit in the garage, just in case. I'd rather have it waiting than try to sell it for $40 or something less. I really hope someone figures this problem out.

I may start a thread asking about anyone with a 2009-2011 with the leveling kit on both the front and back. maybe they could tell us it is no problem.
i have front and back and there is still the occasional traction control issue.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I have the AS 2.5" on the front and a 3" rear block replacing the factory block on the rear, so both were lifted. No problems to report with the TCS.

I have the stock 20" wheels and stock tires.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Bump.

Only because the lead thread for several days has been what color everyone likes on the 09-10's. I figured this was a little more important as most on this site appear to be into modifications including kits and tires. I will be puting some 295/65r18 Dura tracs on my 2" AS Screw on monday and will see how it goes. I spoke with the dealer about the problems people have been having and he said he will look into it.

keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Fx4'er
Bump.

Only because the lead thread for several days has been what color everyone likes on the 09-10's. I figured this was a little more important as most on this site appear to be into modifications including kits and tires. I will be puting some 295/65r18 Dura tracs on my 2" AS Screw on monday and will see how it goes. I spoke with the dealer about the problems people have been having and he said he will look into it.

keeping my fingers crossed.
I have a 09 with 285 18's on it. I have a 2.5" leveling kit in it. I have no issues what so ever.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
i had no problems with putting wheels on.the problem occured when i put the lift in.Its probally a combination of 35s and lift not just one or the other but i am convinced its more the lift fo whatever reason

Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
GS357,

I had no problems with the 2" AS with stock tires. It was when I threw the 285/65/20's on that the problems began. Everything is off and the truck is perfect again. I guess I'll live with the Pirelli's.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the new tires. I don't understand why some trucks seem to have problems with the TCS and others do not. Regardless, my plans for larger tires are on hold until there is a definitive answer to this problem.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Well got the truck today with the295/65r18 with a 2" level inthe front and the tc did go off. If my wife wasn't in the truck I would have cried. Going to test it out more tonight alone. Might add a spacer in the rear. Might get them to go into the computer to change the tire size.

Damn

Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Well I was talking to a guy at woodlands suspension in tx whos lifted a few of the 09-10s and he says that it's just a calibration issue. So did anyone with the problem have their truck tuned after it started?
And for some reason, the guy was saying that he's had experience with the edge tuners and prefers diablo and sct for the f150 so I'm not sure he's the best source for info.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

EDIT: This is why they won't disable it for you: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...3ab10cba046a0/

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 04-13-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
There's a certain spot on my daily drive where this happens if i go normal speed through the turn. I must slow to a crawl to keep it from activatng.
I think it may be a RSC issue because if i push the TC button the problem still happens. However if i push the TC button for five seconds and turn it all off, the TC/RSC will not activate.
any thoughts?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Add me to the list of victims on this. I have the AS 2.5 spacer on the front and the 1.5 AAL on the rear. I noticed the traction control coming on with the stock tires for about 6 months, and it still comes on with the 35s I added recently. Seems to always happen if there is a side slope on a turn or if there are some bumps in the turn and the body starts rocking side to side a bit.

My theory was that with the rear AAL extended the rear shocks out and having them working in the less firm position. Aren't they variable, like less firm extended, then getting more firm as they compress? I thought maybe going to a longer stiffer shock might dampen the side to side rolling.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Has anyone put bigger tires on a 2010?