2009 - 2014 F-150

First Haul with the Fx4

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Haul with the Fx4

Everything went smoothly. The ultra lite trailer barely squats the truck at all. I was worried since I have the light springs. The only thing I don't like is the tow haul shifting. I want to be able to lock out O/D like on older Fords. Even in tow haul it eventually hits 5th and 6th then lugs down and shifts in the out of O/D to maintain speed. 3rd was too low and revs were about 3-4 grand. 4th was 2600 and 5th was 2200. Either were okay but 6th was 17-1800 and that drug the motor down and make the trans hunt. Has anyone found a way to lock out 6th? I guess a custom tune would do it... Thanks.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I never towed anything with the '09 (yet).

But on a trip to Canada last year, with a strong headwind, the transmission regularly hunted for lower gearing running up KY and TN hills, often reving the engine into 3500 rpm range. To be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the need for the frequent downshifts. It seems to me, Ford didn't program the transmission too well, causing the abundant downshifts.

I suspect the tuners probably have addressed your concern. Maybe other members will chime in that know.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:22 PM
I have SCT software I guess I need to buy the PCM code for this truck and look into the tune. I wrote a custom tune for my F250 diesel that kept it out of O/D until 75mph or so that helped a lot. The way this tranny drives it is for fuel economy. It is always lugging around 1,200 if it can. I understand the EPA and govt is very restrictive. But I would like either a multi stage tow haul button or manual shift like GM and Toyota offer. Otherwise it is a super nice truck.

You reading this Ford Engineers?! Call me I would be glad to help lay a new system out. All it needs is a little programming from you and re flash the trucks.
I think the easiest way is to use the T/H button to bump through 3 different options on the message center. Like low, medium and high. Medium locks out 6th and high locks out 5th and 6th.

Lets name the three modes, lol.

Load type:
open trailer
enclosed/camper
and holy ***** Max Tow!

Last edited by L8 APEX; 03-28-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
I never towed anything with the '09 (yet).

But on a trip to Canada last year, with a strong headwind, the transmission regularly hunted for lower gearing running up KY and TN hills, often reving the engine into 3500 rpm range. To be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the need for the frequent downshifts. It seems to me, Ford didn't program the transmission too well, causing the abundant downshifts.

I suspect the tuners probably have addressed your concern. Maybe other members will chime in that know.
Was it in tow/haul mode?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 AM
The new 6 speed takes a bit to get used to becaus we have all had 4 speeds (or manuals) for year. It does shift a lot but that is going to happen with 2 more gears. It is just trying to find optimal RPM ranges for varying loads, inclines,altitudes, driving styles, speeds and any number of other variables. I have been happy with the tow/haul shift programming, thought I haven't towed anything too heavy yet. I would venture to guess when I install my tuner I can adjust the shift points if I need to.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I have driven 2 different 09s, the first was my stx without the brake controller.. The trans did great for me.. my truck would normally shift from 6 to 5 to 4, when i was going on 11% grade... the next was an 09 xlt with the tow package and all that.. the towing was easy.. the trailer never pushed,and power was always there, just had to push the gas a little bit to get it to drop gears.. Also, when loaded down with a trailer, going down hill with tow haul isnt that bad. I like how ford made it so you could tap on the brake three times and it'll down shift.. comes in handy and really saves them brakes.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Mean-machines
I have driven 2 different 09s, the first was my stx without the brake controller.. The trans did great for me.. my truck would normally shift from 6 to 5 to 4, when i was going on 11% grade... the next was an 09 xlt with the tow package and all that.. the towing was easy.. the trailer never pushed,and power was always there, just had to push the gas a little bit to get it to drop gears.. Also, when loaded down with a trailer, going down hill with tow haul isnt that bad. I like how ford made it so you could tap on the brake three times and it'll down shift.. comes in handy and really saves them brakes.
3 times? In tow/haul it downshifts 1 gear every time you tap the brakes, all the way from 6th to 1st... I tried it without a trailer coming off of Mt Ranier in January.

Quick Reply: First Haul with the Fx4