2009 - 2014 F-150

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a razor blade to do mine

Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I need help! Planned on doing it today but I cant figure it out. I cant seem to get to the wire without taking anything off and just going through the little bottom hole AND I can figure out how to take the mirror apart to get to where I need to be. Can someone please help me out. Details and pics possibly? I'd appreciate it Id really like to do this mod today...its been on my list.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by ag0r33
I need help! Planned on doing it today but I cant figure it out. I cant seem to get to the wire without taking anything off and just going through the little bottom hole AND I can figure out how to take the mirror apart to get to where I need to be. Can someone please help me out. Details and pics possibly? I'd appreciate it Id really like to do this mod today...its been on my list.
Dude, I'm maybe a couple of hours east of you in the Beaumont area. Pick a Saturday or Sunday and you could drive over this way and I could show/help you do this. PM me if you want to do this.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
Dude, I'm maybe a couple of hours east of you in the Beaumont area. Pick a Saturday or Sunday and you could drive over this way and I could show/help you do this. PM me if you want to do this.
Thanks for the offer! might have to take you up on that some time but for a different project...completed this today after a few hours of troubleshooting.

Name:  IMG_1239-2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  20.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1246-2.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  30.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1252.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 07-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the offer! might have to take you up on that some time but for a different project...completed this today after a few hours of troubleshooting.

Did you have to pop off the mirrors or did you do it that other way you couldn't figure out?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Did it from the little cap under the mirror. Only reason it took me so long was figuring that out...first one took about 2.5 hrs the second only took 15 mins total. Anyone doing this mod needing help contact me, I found a way without cutting ANY wires =D
makes it 123423904723496x easier. Thats where I messed up, I cut the stock wires for the first mirror then by time I spliced each one I didnt have enough slack =/ sooo I had to make like a bridge of other wire for that lol still works tho but for the second one I learned a better way to avoid cutting the stock wires and tapping the led wire right into that.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Did it from the little cap under the mirror. Only reason it took me so long was figuring that out...first one took about 2.5 hrs the second only took 15 mins total. Anyone doing this mod needing help contact me, I found a way without cutting ANY wires =D
makes it 123423904723496x easier. Thats where I messed up, I cut the stock wires for the first mirror then by time I spliced each one I didnt have enough slack =/ sooo I had to make like a bridge of other wire for that lol still works tho but for the second one I learned a better way to avoid cutting the stock wires and tapping the led wire right into that.
sweet!

the only thing stopping me form this was I have no faith in my ability to safely remove the mirrors.

would be great if you get time to detail it but otherwise I will contact some time

thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I was looking at that little cap under the mirror and started to pull on it and it doesn't seem like it wants to come out....What did you do to pop it off?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 PM
I used a little screwdriver to pop off the little caps. Passenger side the wires are there with lots of slack. Drivers side no such luck. I can see the wires but there isn't any slack in them.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Yea, I would need help getting the mirrors off without damaging them.
I have the parts needed to do the light, just need to get in their.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I used a butter knife like others on here and it was much easier. You basically have to find those little slots about at the 90 degree angle mark of the mirror where it is mounted. Once you stick the knife in the slot just twist and it will pop up just enough where you can that the knife and slip it in the back of the gap created by popping out just one side. Once the knife is behind the mirror just twist the it again and pull on the mirror softly towards you. This will detach it completly without going to each slot...fyi on the driver side mirror there is silicone rubber that comes off the back of the mirror.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I used a little screw driver and popped the bottom cap out. Even with the little slack there is this way if you do it my way u dont need the slack. Just pull as much as you can out then spread the housing where there is about an inch space of wire for each one. Then take the led wires with a good amount of wire sliced and tie, turn and twist each led wire around each stock cable (black led wire to black factory wire and the so on..NOT one led wire to BOTH stock wires!!) then seal it up good with electrical tape and your good

Old 08-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Add one more in Texas. Did this in the driveway in about an hour without removing the mirrors...the reflectors come off easy with a gentle nudge from the curved end...

Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by F-amous150
spread the housing where there is about an inch space of wire for each one.

This is where you lost me.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Nolasalt
This is where you lost me.

For example, It will look like the wire that says WIRES SOLDERED.
http://www.texastimers.com/helpful_h...solderikng.jpg
it wont be soldered it will look like this tho once the housing is spread.

You just spread the housing (i used a lighter, done it numerous times, just barely heat it and then spread it housing right after you take the heat away and it will spread creating an opening like the picture example. Then tap the led wires into it.

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics