2009 - 2014 F-150

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished doing mine, took about an hour (including going to get new splice connectors because I didn't get 18-22 gauge the first time). Came out perfect.
Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the lights.
Maybe light up the center dash storage area below the sync connection and inside the center console.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:27 PM
If I may ask, why run two seperate strips? You *could* make one strip have both functions. I've been looking into this, and of course it would be super easy if the LED's were dual filament, but we know that's not the case. There are two ways I've found to accomplish this.

1) Regulate the voltage. We know the led's have a working voltage range, of let's say...9-14.4v. I assume they are brighter at 14.4v than they are at 9v so you could use resistors to knock the voltage down to 9v for the running light, and wire up a relay to apply the higher voltage signal for the blinker.

2) Keep the voltage constant and cut the ground when the intermittent signal becomes hot. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I am pretty good at trial and error......especially when we are dealing with 12v and I know it CAN'T kill me. lol. Hopefully someone with some actual knowledge will chime in, but this *looks* like it could be accomplished using an XOR gate, or some tricky wiring and a relay or two. I have quite a few relays laying around, a portable jump pack(to supply the 12v+), a multimeter and test light, soldering iron and the leftover strips of LED's. Sure, I'll burn up some bits and pieces, but with enough poking around, I bet you I can get this to work.

I've been thinking about this(haven't actually tried anything yet) since I did the turn signal mod last month. It would make the truck look huge coming down the road at you at night if the mirrors were lit up all the time.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by tdel10
If I may ask, why run two seperate strips? You *could* make one strip have both functions. I've been looking into this, and of course it would be super easy if the LED's were dual filament, but we know that's not the case. There are two ways I've found to accomplish this.

1) Regulate the voltage. We know the led's have a working voltage range, of let's say...9-14.4v. I assume they are brighter at 14.4v than they are at 9v so you could use resistors to knock the voltage down to 9v for the running light, and wire up a relay to apply the higher voltage signal for the blinker.

2) Keep the voltage constant and cut the ground when the intermittent signal becomes hot. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I am pretty good at trial and error......especially when we are dealing with 12v and I know it CAN'T kill me. lol. Hopefully someone with some actual knowledge will chime in, but this *looks* like it could be accomplished using an XOR gate, or some tricky wiring and a relay or two. I have quite a few relays laying around, a portable jump pack(to supply the 12v+), a multimeter and test light, soldering iron and the leftover strips of LED's. Sure, I'll burn up some bits and pieces, but with enough poking around, I bet you I can get this to work.

I've been thinking about this(haven't actually tried anything yet) since I did the turn signal mod last month. It would make the truck look huge coming down the road at you at night if the mirrors were lit up all the time.
If you figure it out, I'm coming to you.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Cool

I have a question how/what did you use to seal the LED strip in to the lens with.. Thanks

What a great MOD to do going to do it this week

Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by beidle99
Just finished doing mine, took about an hour (including going to get new splice connectors because I didn't get 18-22 gauge the first time). Came out perfect.
Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the lights.
Maybe light up the center dash storage area below the sync connection and inside the center console.
Yo Nick !!!!!!!!!!! ITs Prettyboy(Rob) from High Powered Hobbies whats up playboy? Yo PM me you # I need help doing this mod.. How's the family?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Just finished mine. Took about 1 and 3/4 hrs. Took my time with the glass afraid I would crack it. All worked out well. Great mod.

Thanks tbraquet.

Last edited by nfld150; 08-22-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
nh3
Being that I don't have turn signals in my mirrors I was hoping the signal wires would be in the mirrors but no such luck. I have done the reflector mod and ordered the OEM mirror lights and will wire it all up. I have no schematic so does anybody know where I can tap into the left and right + & - signal wires under the dash or in the door?

Last edited by nh3; 08-27-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by nh3
Being that I don't have turn signals in my mirrors I was hoping the signal wires would be in the mirrors but no such luck. I have done the reflector mod and ordered the OEM mirror lights and will wire it all up. I have no schematic so does anybody know where I can tap into the left and right + & - signal wires under the dash or in the door?
i too would like to know this.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:10 PM
nh3
Old 09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Add one more to the completed list. I did mine this weekend in about 2 hours, 1st one took the longest, 2nd one in about 20 mins, Great Mod!, thanks for sharing the information.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by nh3
The wires are run to where the mirrors plug into the door.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
nh3
Originally Posted by mack63
The wires are run to where the mirrors plug into the door.

I posted the schematic. Thanks anyways.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 AM
To make the mirrors running lights & signal lights couldn't you install a splitter box (trailer taillight convertor) in each floor kick panel , this would have the mirror LED's running lights with the headlights on and switch them over to signal lights when the signal lights were turned on .. This way you wouldn't need to run seperate wires to the mirrors if you wanted running lights ..

Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by lufkin
To make the mirrors running lights & signal lights couldn't you install a splitter box (trailer taillight convertor) in each floor kick panel , this would have the mirror LED's running lights with the headlights on and switch them over to signal lights when the signal lights were turned on .. This way you wouldn't need to run seperate wires to the mirrors if you wanted running lights ..

I don't know enough to know if this would work, but great first post!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by lufkin
Lufkin,

While this may sound good I would not do because it would also make the factory turn signals on the mirror side be running lights. Since the only pair of wires going to the mirror are for the ones if you did what you are talking about you would have running lights on the front and back of the mirror, and in most states if not all states any running lights facing the rear of the vehicle are supposed to be red if I'm not mistaken. Therefore I don't think this would be legal either.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics