2009 - 2014 F-150

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it today, 6 leds, through the puddle light hole. I had about 2 inches of slack on the RS and about 1 inch on LS Use T-Taps and taped all up...

Nice Mod. thanks to all who and the founder of this mod...

Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish that it was easier to add that little black box to have the running lights too. I don't want to take everything back apart and run wires in to the cab. But I do love this mod!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Add another to the list of completed. I did mine through the puddle lights. I didn't have much wire on either side, could barely get any out the hole at all. But I managed to make the connections and it works great.

Thanks to all the contributed to this mod.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Very nice!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Need a little help please

I am not that experienced at working on trucks but I REALLY want to do this. It looks awesome! Can someone please explain in a little more detail as how to tap into the turn signal on the mirror side?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrewBaum
I am not that experienced at working on trucks but I REALLY want to do this. It looks awesome! Can someone please explain in a little more detail as how to tap into the turn signal on the mirror side?
You mean the wires?

Your LED has two wires. The signal has two wires. Splice the wires together so they match the colors mentioned in the OP. Done. It's so simple.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I mean how exactly do you splice into it. Might be a stupid question but I just don't want to mess anything up.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Add me to the list of done-zo!

It was super easy, and I'm so glad I didn't have to remove my mirrors.

Drew, pop out the circle plugs on the bottom of the mirrors (about the size of a half dollar) by inserting a small flat blade screwdriver in the slot you'll see on one spot of the circumference of the plug.

Once the plug is removed, reach with your finger and you'll feel two small gauge wires which are connected to the back of the existing turn signal LED's (the ones that face the rear of the truck.

You'll have to tug at the wires a little bit. Not too much force, but don't be afraid to give a substantial tug.

You'll need some nimble fingers, but tap into the wires by using a "tap splice connector." These are available at auto parts stores, hardware stores, and home improvement stores. They're color coded to match wire gauge ranges for which they're applicable. Get at least (4) of the RED ones, which are designed to accommodate 22-16 AWG wires.

One side of the connector is designed to clamp around the wire you want to tap into, you just lay the wire into the channel and the wire runs "through" the connector. The other side of the connector has an end stop. This is the side where you'll insert your new LED strip wire. Once the wires are aligned properly, crimp the metal "staple" looking part of the connector down with a pair of pliers. Then fold the plastic clip over the connector to ensure it stays closed and tight. The metal portion cuts through the insulation on the wires and creates electrical continuity between the two wires.

Use one connector to tie the red wire of your LED's to the green wire of the existing turn signal, and another connector for the black LED strip wire to the black wire of the existing turn signals.

AWESOME results and it only took me about 15 minutes from start to finish, including the time to dremel out the reflectors. FANTASTIC mod.

Last edited by spydyrwyr; 03-15-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Nice write up! Adding to my to do list.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Add mine to the list. Used 9 amber LEDs on mine. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Red'10FX2
I did the whole thing without removing the mirror, just connected all the wiring through the opening where the puddle light would be. It was tight, but do-able.
How did you pop off the cap the covers the puddle light hole? I'm not seeing how thats possible without damaging it.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Dude, I posted that like 3 posts up.

Pop out the circle plugs on the bottom of the mirrors (about the size of a half dollar) by inserting a small flat blade screwdriver in the slot you'll see on one spot of the circumference of the plug.

There's only one spot around the circumference where the gap is wider. Pry the screwdriver so that the tip/blade moves toward the center point of the plug.

It's a v-shaped plastic tab with a lip that engages in the mirror body. The profile looks kinda like:

\T

By prying that "V" inward (more acute angle), you allow the top tab to clear it's mating surface, thus the plug can be removed easily. It should not take much force at all to remove the plug once the tab is properly cleared.

Last edited by spydyrwyr; 03-15-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Just completed this mod going through the puddle light hole as well. It's very possible to do, but there's a lot less room and slack on the wires to work with. I also did the bumper LED strip turn signal, and it all turned out great! Thanks for the write up!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by spydyrwyr
Dude, I posted that like 3 posts up.

Pop out the circle plugs on the bottom of the mirrors (about the size of a half dollar) by inserting a small flat blade screwdriver in the slot you'll see on one spot of the circumference of the plug.

There's only one spot around the circumference where the gap is wider. Pry the screwdriver so that the tip/blade moves toward the center point of the plug.

It's a v-shaped plastic tab with a lip that engages in the mirror body. The profile looks kinda like:

\T

By prying that "V" inward (more acute angle), you allow the top tab to clear it's mating surface, thus the plug can be removed easily. It should not take much force at all to remove the plug once the tab is properly cleared.
Thanks for the detailed answer. It's still a bit cold to futz with now, but it's supposed to be in the high 40's later in the week, and I just ordered some LED strips off eBay.

Cheers.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Got 'er DUN!

I've been waiting for months to get back home from Afghanistan to do this mod...been back 5 days and knocked it out in 1.5 hrs! Had to take the mirror off for the driver's side but managed to pull out enough slack through the puddle lamp hole for the passenger mirror. Threw on some HD heads lights with turn/side marker LEDs and a set of red LED tails, LED'd the interior minus the visors (got the wrong type), LED'd the third brake light, added an extra gasket, and changed out the door speakers with Infinity's. Now for the puddle light LED mod and install the Gryphon CTS.

Ahhh it's good to be back to the good 'ole USA!

Nasty

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics