2009 - 2014 F-150

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Formula jg
2. Driver reflector white plastic backing had a 2 prong tab on the inboard side closest to the door (pass side only had 1 prong). Don't know if this is common just didn't read anything here that mentioned that.
Don't know why as they don't appear to be any different on the front side (didn't really do a side-by-side comparison, however), but it seems Ford made it this way to differentiate left versus right side reflectors to prevent incorrectly installing the wrong one.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Augster,
I ended up with the same conclusion last night and then went forward with cutting the small plastic mirror housing section that separated the 2 prong tab on the reflector backing. Had to do this because it interfered with the end of the LED strip which has the shrink wrap for the wires.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I drilled out the opposite end, at the curve, to allow the "wired" end of the LED strip room to fit and pass through. See my photo of the inside of the shell, with the wires coming through and Weather Pack connector installed.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I made the mistake of precuting the LED wires prior to removing the driver side reflector. Did this presuming it would be the same as the pass side where I dropped the wires from the straight side of the reflector because it lined up directly above the puddle hole. In the end there wasn't enough LED wire to drop it through the curved side and run it over to the puddle hole and out.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
No worries; still works right!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm getting ready to do this mod on my Platinum Screw and just want to verify that it seems that everyone that did the mod through the underside of the mirror did NOT have the puddle light there. Please let me know if I'm incorrect in assuming that the presence of the puddle light dictates that you need to pull the mirrors of as the OP did. Thanks in advance for the help and I apologize if this was covered, I have gone through the thread a couple of time and have come to this conclusion, feel free to make me fell like I'm at home and tell me that I'm wrong !

Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Lightbulb

Even if you have the puddle light, it can be popped off (carefully) without removing the outer shell if you choose to do it the "hard" way.

Pulling off the mirror is very easy, however, be very careful if using a screwdriver to initially separate and pry between the mirror "slots" and mirror motor flange tab.

First step is to simply push the mirror all the way to one side (don't worry about the clicking sounds, but you could do this via the power control if you are squeamish on forcing it) to get access to one of two small, round tabs to use as leverage. For the driver's side, push in on the bottom to expose an opening through the top; for the passenger, do the opposite and push in on the inboard top to expose the bottom outboard:

Name:  P1010564.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  84.3 KB

You want to look for the round tab between the slot:

Name:  Tab.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  87.2 KB

This photo shows the round tab without the mirror in place for clarification:

Name:  P1010568.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  118.0 KB

Use a flat blade screwdriver (no longer than 4" to prevent you doing what I did, which I will show at the end of these tips) to get between this small tab and mirror back:

Name:  Screwdriver.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  70.8 KB

Shot without the mirror to clarify where to place the flat tip screwdriver:

Name:  P1010573.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  114.2 KB

Then simply twist (rotate) the screwdriver to separate the tab away from the mirror in order for you to start working the flat blade screwdriver around the circumference of the round mirror motor flange to remove the mirror:

Name:  Gap.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  105.2 KB

Removing the outer mirror shell and continuing with the mod should now be self explanatory, if not already described by previous posters.

After all is done and its time to finally reattach the mirror, simply line it up onto the round mounting flange and push in on the center of the mirror to snap into place. Make sure it's fully seated all round the flange.

NOW, regarding using the screwdriver indiscriminately... If you are going to use it pry around the mounting flange, do NOT push the tip past the end getting it behind the center of the mirror:

Name:  P1010571.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  88.5 KB

As you can see, the center back of the mirror is not really protected nor covered at all. If you somehow push the screwdriver into this delicate area and pry out, it will break the mirror thusly:

Name:  P1010570.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  66.7 KB

A $30 mistake on my part ; remedied with a new one from Tasca:

Name:  P1010569.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  66.2 KB

Good luck in your project!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Great explanation and illustrations, Augster...thanks.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just upgraded from an '09 XLT to an '11 FX2 with the puddle lamps. I was an early adopter and accidentally loosened the clips on the back of the mirror and needed to get a replacement. All told, the warranty paid for it but it *should* have cost me $245.78 according to the statement I got back from them. So I'd rather go in through the puddle lamp if possible.

So please, anyone doing the mod with puddle lamps, can you keep us informed if you do it through the lamp hole?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM
I can understand if you are "gun shy" from your previous experience as there have been quite a few reports of mirror damage (and you can see, I wasn't immune to the "doh!" factor neither!).

There is a thread of those performing the mod through the puddle light opening, though some couldn't really get to the turn signal wires on one side as they were too short to pull out through the puddle lamp hole.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/reflect...2-pics-101729/

I would be very careful when attempting to pry out the reflectors from the outside. Don't lever it against the mirror shell at all as the plastic is very soft and will deform easily. A suggestion proffered was to use a pick of some sort to disengage the small tab on the curved side of the reflector.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
This is my 2nd time doing this mod. First, on an '09 XLT the "long" way by pulling off the mirror. That method certainly offers a little extra space to work with but I was hoping to be a little quicker this time around and I didn't want to take any risks with my mirrors. I just bought a '11 FX2 Ecoboost and I decided to try going through the puddle lamp. Biggest obstacle was wiring in such a tight space - neither set of wires gave me enough slack to pull out of the mirror housing at all. I was able to complete the job in about an hour (taking pics and eating a couple tacos along the route).

I know its been documented a few times but I wanted to take a few pics in case the angle was helpful for other members. And, I wasn't sure if I had seen anyone do the mod with the puddle lamps.

Starting point:

Pull off puddle lamp (you can see the green and black wires I need just inside):

Pry off reflector:

Cut out reflector (I squared and cleaned this up after this pic):

Route wires and slide LEDs into place:

Re-install reflector:

Wire the lights up (I sealed up after splicing too):

Test:

All done:

Last edited by sharper4; 10-04-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM
This is probably a silly question but is there suppose to be a light at that puddle location or is that a option on a '10 FX4?
I recently did this LED turn signal through the puddle area but there was only a cap to pop off and no light at this location.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Formula jg
This is probably a silly question but is there suppose to be a light at that puddle location or is that a option on a '10 FX4?
I recently did this LED turn signal through the puddle area but there was only a cap to pop off and no light at this location.
It was part of one of the packages I got. I think the FX Luxury package upgraded to the Power Fold mirrors and it included the puddle lamps.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Mod complete (thanks to all who contributed info on this one) 09 mirrors on my 07 fx4 and then powered up the reflectors.

I have to ask though, has anyone ever looked for the puddle lights? I would not mind installing in my non puddle light mirror if available

Lee

Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
That would explain it as I do have the Luxury Pkg. but not the power folder mirror option.

thx.

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics