2009 - 2014 F-150

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I saw that another member used all 18 LEDs instead of 9 and I got a little jealous. So I added a 2nd row to mine too!

Gotta say, it actually looks like it belongs more than the org row of 9.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly bright!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
Here is a video. Also I got the white led's from AutoZone. The yellow led's came from Superbrightleds.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7f5UCENmM
Hey, which color lights did you get from Auto Zone?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by bsalinas1203
Hey, which color lights did you get from Auto Zone?
The LEDs in his mirror are white. The LEDs on his bumper are yellow.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Add another mirror mod to the mix! Thanks to OP and others for a great Mod!
2010 FX4 Screw, Tuxedo Black, Lux package (just starting)

Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 AM
I've been tempted several times to do the mirror reflector to turn signal mod.

Last edited by shortride; 10-31-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:13 PM
I know this has come up couple times but I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to have both, running lights and turn signals.
With two strips on each side, I would like to use one strip for running lights and one for turn signals. I know we would have to run the wire for the running lights but I dont know if we can connect directly to the turn signals or resistors are required.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM
This fellow went all the way, alternating signals as well as running lights.
Now only if can figure out the details of how he did this would be great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyK5O...eature=related

Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 PM
well, after readin this post completely last night, it got me thinking......

so, then today after work i stopped off to get some at autozone, and now i have some installed too!!! they look great!!

i did experiment a little bit though first. i installed a resistor into the positive wire, and then a seperate jumper wire to test the flashing affect. they did work just fine, so if anyone wants to have them act as running lights, and blinkers you wont have a problem if you diode isolate the 2 power wires.

i was going to install mine that way, but decided against it after figuring out how to run the wire down through the door, and into the cab to tap into the parking light circuit. it just didnt seem worth the efforts to me, so all i have is the blinker.

but, im still happy with how they turned out!

thanks to the original poster for this easy, cheap, mod!!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Welcome Home and Thanks for the service!

Originally Posted by nastynoble3k
I've been waiting for months to get back home from Afghanistan to do this mod...been back 5 days and knocked it out in 1.5 hrs! Had to take the mirror off for the driver's side but managed to pull out enough slack through the puddle lamp hole for the passenger mirror. Threw on some HD heads lights with turn/side marker LEDs and a set of red LED tails, LED'd the interior minus the visors (got the wrong type), LED'd the third brake light, added an extra gasket, and changed out the door speakers with Infinity's. Now for the puddle light LED mod and install the Gryphon CTS.

Ahhh it's good to be back to the good 'ole USA!

Nasty
Welcome Home and Thanks for the service!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Add another completed mod to the list of DYI'ers. Awesome mod and thanks to all that participated in the post. I would have added pic's but they would have been redundant and would not have added any value over what has been done.

GREAT MOD! Thanks for the original post.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Howdy,
Add another successful side mirror turn signal modification. The explanation is right on, and the pictures really help.

Now to add another coat of niteshade to the reflectors
2011 Screw FX4 EcoBoost White

Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Talking Mine's Completed

I was excited about doing this modification after reading the majority of posts concerning. I wanted to add the chrome caps to mine as well, so I had to wait for those to come in before I could get started. Completed mine last night. I decided to do the 9 LED strip. I did think it looked better by filling the whole area like the original post showed. No need to show pics. Simply great mod with an outstanding look. The caps look great too. Since I have the tuxedo black XLT, the chrome caps just set those mirors off. Keep up the mods!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Mvannote
I was excited about doing this modification after reading the majority of posts concerning. I wanted to add the chrome caps to mine as well, so I had to wait for those to come in before I could get started. Completed mine last night. I decided to do the 9 LED strip. I did think it looked better by filling the whole area like the original post showed. No need to show pics. Simply great mod with an outstanding look. The caps look great too. Since I have the tuxedo black XLT, the chrome caps just set those mirors off. Keep up the mods!
You should have used all 18 LEDs and done two rows!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Chalk up another 9-LED install in the side view mirrors. Looks great! The info on this forum was super helpful. I went in through the puddle lamps rather than removing the mirror glass (looked too risky to me). A couple of notes to pass along:

1. I used a golf ball mark removal tool to pry the reflectors off the mirror housing. The removal tool has a 2-prong end which spreads out the stress on the reflector when prying it off. The 2 prongs are just far enough apart to straddle the retaining tab on the reflector making removal a snap (not "snap" as in broken ;-) )

2. The green/black wires inside the mirror were very short no matter how much I tugged on them out of the puddle lamp opening. These 2 wires connect to the rear-facing LED assembly in the mirror with a 2-contact connector. This connector comes off pretty easily if you can get a finger inside the mirror and rock it back and forth. Once you disconnect the connector, you can pull it out of the puddle lamp hole which gives you a little more wire to work with. I soldered my connections using this method. Re-connecting the connector to the rear-facing LED assembly is a little tricky but very do-able.

3. I drilled a 0.2" dia hole on the outboard part of the mirror under the reflector to allow the wires from the LED strip to enter inside the mirror. I bought the dual 12" LED strips at Autozone but did not use the pre-wired end of each strip. The shrink tubing on the pre-wired end is too bulky to easily fit inside the modified reflector. I cut each 12" strip in half then soldered wires to the left-over section of the LED strip (9 LEDs per side).

4. I didn't realize the LED strips have a clear rubbery coating over them to keep out the elements. Very cool.

5. It is probably a good idea to put a nice bead of clear silicon rubber sealant on each reflector prior to re-attaching it to help keep out water and dirt from the now-exposed reflectors.

BTW, I have a contact at Ford who tells me that Ford plans to add illuminated blinkers to the side view mirrors in the next 2 years (yeah right).

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics