2009 - 2014 F-150

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
Just to clarify, there are 4 tabs per side, correct? You have to get to each of them, or once you get one done, you can get the mirror off? I'm having a hard time seeing in the pics and what I see on my truck.

Thanks for all the encouragement!
There are 4 tab area's, but only one has the tab sticking out of the motor portion like I show in the pic. That is the one you want to start with. On the pass mirror it is on the top left tab. On the driver side I think it is on the bottom left.

YOU CAN DO IT.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
I found it was very easy to use a butter knife because its flat and goes between the motor and clips and give it a twist and pops the mirror off easily

Old 04-01-2010, 06:51 PM
well add my 09 fx4 to the list...took me about an hour do it it all

one think i did notice, since mine is over a year old i had a hard time removing the heated mirror wires and the auto dark wires due to a like corrosion holding them in tight

also i thing i might see about finding some night shade also

Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by redfx4150
also i thing i might see about finding some night shade also
exactly, I'd like to see that. Props to tbraquet and you others doing this mod, but I still don't care for the ugly orange reflector on the outside. So wonder what it would look like if you smoked the reflector some too....

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
exactly, I'd like to see that. Props to tbraquet and you others doing this mod, but I still don't care for the ugly orange reflector on the outside. So wonder what it would look like if you smoked the reflector some too....
Thanks SteveVFX4 for the Props. As for the smoked reflector, I think it might show the light a little better, depending on how dark you go. Just a little smoke would take the glare off some. I have thought about tinting them a little but I do like them the way they are also.

Also thanks to bankrpt for the added tips. It's always good when someone else can improve on make it easier to do. But it is a very easy mod, and as bankrpt showed you don't have to use a Dremel if you don't have one, a razor does well also.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
thanks bud for the props also yeah the butter knife works like a charm and so does the razor blade and also the torx bit you use is a t20 not t15 as stated

Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glass Removal Cont.........

Does anyone have a pic of the backside of the glass after its been removed....?

Sheesh.......I have 2 Mechanics Licenses and still cant see where to pry...or perhaps my eye sight isnt what it used to be?.......

Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Well, I attempted this tonight.

Some advice:

don't do this in the cold. one of the tabs on my reflector snapped off.
don't buy a cordless dremel the night you need to use it since it won't be fully charged (mine died part way through)

as a result, I only got the passenger side finished and now I will have to JB Weld the reflector back onto the mirror since one of the sides snapped off. But the turn signal does work perfectly. I will be doing the driver's side tomorrow, hopefully without snapping off any parts.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Hey there I wouldn't do jb weld I broke my tab also and I used double sided tape works perfect

Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 AM
And that's also why I used a razor blade because I didn't want to buy a dremel its suppost to be a under 20 dollar mod lol

Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ajaj
Does anyone have a pic of the backside of the glass after its been removed....?

Sheesh.......I have 2 Mechanics Licenses and still cant see where to pry...or perhaps my eye sight isnt what it used to be?.......
Hey ajaj,

Here are two pics of the back of the mirror.
The first shows the mirror with the tab to start with.
The second shows the tab and the corresponding tab on the motor assy.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by bankrpt
And that's also why I used a razor blade because I didn't want to buy a dremel its suppost to be a under 20 dollar mod lol
Yeah, my Dremel is corded with a flex shaft on it. I do woodworking as a hobby and the Dremel is a very useful tool.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Just a Thought?

Thanks Tbraquet for putting us all onto this mod.........

Once I discovered where the release tab was it was simple to remove mirror glass.

I found a 2 pack of sealed 12'' Bright White L.E.D. Strips with 3m tape on the back at Wal-Mart Canada ..they come with a switch and battery pack so you can ooo and awww them in the store.....just cut it all off and they are clearly marked with scissor lines where to cut them to size......you can manage 9 L.E.D.s per lens. I also had to trim a hole next to the tab a little larger than I wanted to as the light strip wires were already sealed with heatshrink...It all snapped back together as usual with the larger hole anyway.

After I cut them I got to thinking that the lens will no longer be sealed and road grime and condensation will eventually seep into them?.....so what I did was get a roll of very thin 3m tape and make a box around the the L.E.D. light strip to seal it off......then on the mirror body I put a small dab of clear silicone to seal the wires next to the tab where it snaps in.....

I will post some pics in my profile if you wanna check them out

Last edited by ajaj; 04-03-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM
well i nightshaded my reflector they looked great till the the wind the borad i had them tape to when flying in the wind and broke them both

i put them back in but their broke in half and dirty ..so now i need another set

Old 04-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Just did the mod to my 2010 FX4!! Worked out great and looks awesome!

Thanks for the great idea and all the amazing tips!

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics