2009 - 2014 F-150

Adding the Stowable Bed Extender

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY dealer charged me $300 which is what the salesman said he had to pay for it. Great for carrying groceries when flipped backwards, breaks in the middle, and folds giving access to the bed. Plus I always carry it around, stowed.

Last edited by High-ster; 04-11-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by pickup line
FC4-LX,

I did the same as you. Put in Line-X liner then installed the stowable bed extender.

I had to remove the liner where the "lock in place" things goes. Four places total.

You'll need to remove the liner so that the "inserts" touch the bare metal. I used a dremel tool with a sandpaper head. INstead of a fifteen minute job, it took an hour.

In retrospect, I should have told the Line-X installer that I was planning to install the stowable bed eXtender. They could have taped off these areas.

Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
Just to follow up, I received and installed the bed extender and it went in over the LineX without any problem. I didn't have to dremel away any of the LineX. I used an impact driver and it drove the bolts right through.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Question Removal of bed extender

I just took delivery of my truck last week and it looks like the stowable bed extender is fastened by a Torx (star) screw on each side. I'd like to be able to remove the extender when hauling various loads that may damage it (e.g., stones/rocks). I don't have a Torx screwdriver set, but it looks like it is larger than T40 (which is the largest I've been able to find so far). Does anyone know the exact size of the screw? It looks like it may be T50 but I'd like to be sure before I buy a Torx screwdriver off the internet so I know it's the correct size.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
It's a T50. Proper torque is 41 lb-ft (55 Nm).

Old 06-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Has anyone used the bed extender with a drop in liner?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:17 PM
The Ford drop-in bed liner has all the provisions built into it to accept the extender. At least that's how it is on my '10.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0
Has anyone used the bed extender with a drop in liner?
Here you go.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys; I do have the Ford drop in bed liner. hemigod I got my truck at Kennedy in Sanatoga...

Old 06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0
Thanks guys; I do have the Ford drop in bed liner. hemigod I got my truck at Kennedy in Sanatoga...
I got mine at Kennedy in Conshohocken. They drove it down from Sanatoga for me. There aren't very many F150onliners around this immediate area, nice to know you're around.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Cool and likewise!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by hemigod
Here you go.
Mine is installed over Line-X. One concern as is shown in your picture: the two side handles don't lock in all the way; about 1/4" of red shows. I think this is due to the added height of the Line-X or liner and the rubber feet keep the extender rotated up slightly more, not allowing the side handles to lock in completely.

Anyone have a fix for this? An easy way to shave a little of the rubber feet? Suggestions? Thanks.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Bomeyer15
Mine is installed over Line-X. One concern as is shown in your picture: the two side handles don't lock in all the way; about 1/4" of red shows. I think this is due to the added height of the Line-X or liner and the rubber feet keep the extender rotated up slightly more, not allowing the side handles to lock in completely.

Anyone have a fix for this? An easy way to shave a little of the rubber feet? Suggestions? Thanks.
I have Line-X and the Ford rubber bed mat. I just slammed those pins in and out a few times and now they're fine.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by seadragon
I have Line-X and the Ford rubber bed mat. I just slammed those pins in and out a few times and now they're fine.
I banged on the handles and pins too but pin won't seat/lock all the way. I'll try slamming them a little harder. The extender seems to be locked in place but the red shows from the pins. Concerned a little about water getting inside of them too.

So you added the rubber bed mat after getting the Line-X done? Do you like that? Sounds like a good idea. Not sure which mat to get. Is the Ford one expensive? where to get?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bomeyer15
I banged on the handles and pins too but pin won't seat/lock all the way. I'll try slamming them a little harder. The extender seems to be locked in place but the red shows from the pins. Concerned a little about water getting inside of them too.

So you added the rubber bed mat after getting the Line-X done? Do you like that? Sounds like a good idea. Not sure which mat to get. Is the Ford one expensive? where to get?
I had to get a little rough with the pins the first few times. If fact, I ended up kicking them into place while standing in the bed. But, I won and they work very well now.

The bed mat is great on the Line-X because it gives a soft, non-slip surface and can of course be easily removed if needed. It's good for carrying stuff like wood furniture that you don't want scratched by the Line-X surface. Plus, the bed extender prevents the mat from being stolen with the tailgate locked since it clamps it to the floor.

The bed mat was $150 from the Ford dealer.

Here are some pics I just took...

Last edited by seadragon; 07-21-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by seadragon
Same here. I gave them a good smack and they go in and out easily now.

Quick Reply: Adding the Stowable Bed Extender