2009 - 2014 F-150

XLT Console is just a big, dark useless box.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLT Console is just a big, dark useless box.

The console in my 09 XLT is just that, a dark, useless box. I can't see a thing in there and whatever you put in just rolls around.

Are there any kits available to organize these things? I'd love a tray at the top of it. I know Lariats come with one but it doesn't fit the XLT. I'd love to find some way to compartmentalize the console and make it useful.

Any ideas?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't have the XLT, but I know what you mean. On my FX4 I have the tray, but underneath everything just gets lost and becomes a mess. I need to look into some kind of organizer. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what anybody comes up with.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM
I call mine the bucket.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
agreed. The glovebox is too small and the console too big. Some kind of divider or something would make it much more useful. Adding lights should be pretty easy as you'd be able to tap into the wires running 12v outlet in the back of the console.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Westpoint
I don't have the XLT, but I know what you mean. On my FX4 I have the tray, but underneath everything just gets lost and becomes a mess. I need to look into some kind of organizer. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what anybody comes up with.
i have the lariat, the tray doesn't make things much better, it just blocks view as to what has fallen out of the tray and is now on the floor of the console...oh yeah a the glove box is way too small, i can fit my owners manual and about 3-4 kleenex's in there....

Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You could like I did. I have the floor shifter with flow through console but the concept is the same.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ge-w-pics.html

Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Just a big junk drawer for the truck!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Actually, I think the glovebox is just fine. Why would I want to reach over to the passenger side dash to retrieve something that fits in the center console? I do agree that the center console is in need of a divider system, but the size isn't what bothers me. Heck, most women love the big center console when they want to stowe the handbag somewhere out of sight.

Also, my 08 has a place for the whole kleenex box on the underside of the center console lid, so I don't know why you'd want to stuff them in the glove box.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
...Also, my 08 has a place for the whole kleenex box on the underside of the center console lid, so I don't know why you'd want to stuff them in the glove box.
I miss that Kleenex holder. My '04 had it and now my '10 does not.
It sure was handy.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM
on the glovebox, with just the owner's manual, registration and tire gauge - I have to have -everything- perfectly aligned of the thing won't shut. Seems crazy that a truck so big has such a small glove box.

I agree I wouldn't put anything I need easy access to in it - but it's kind of tight for even those rarely used items.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I just bought some stackable plastic pencil boxes from K-Mart for organizing the center console storage. They were only a buck each.

I have one with tools like an emergency seat belt cutter, spring loaded nail punch (for breaking the window in an emergency), pocket knife and multitool. One has electronic gadgets like my 12 V adapter for charging my cell phone (cuz the USB port only works with the car running) and GPS mount, one with a few batteries in it for two-way radios. You can get the boxes with different color lids.

I also use the hanging files paperwork I need to take with me like directions, etc.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would take a console over the 40/20/40 bench, it would be nice to have the deep space imo to put shirts and gloves and whatnot in. I hate cluttering my trucks floor up, and anything else for that matter. I prefer how it looks fresh from the dealer.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
I think it's basically the same console out of the '08-'10 Super Duty. Ours has a storage bin in it.

It's definitely handy to hold all your junk that you don't want cluttering the truck. It's great for storing tons of file folders and notebooks for jobs.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:58 PM
All my 08 XL Supercrew had for storage new was the glovebox. The first thing I did was trade my jumpseat for a jumpseat with storage.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
I think it's basically the same console out of the '08-'10 Super Duty. Ours has a storage bin in it.

It's definitely handy to hold all your junk that you don't want cluttering the truck. It's great for storing tons of file folders and notebooks for jobs.

You can't put a storage bin in an XLT console.

Quick Reply: XLT Console is just a big, dark useless box.