2009 - 2014 F-150

Air Conditioning-2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seats are not part of the A/C system. They are just Cooled by blowing air through the seat covers.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
The seats are not part of the A/C system. They are just Cooled by blowing air through the seat covers.
I'll bet you a cold one on this. They have to get cool air from somewhere.

You had my curiosity up after reading this. I checked it out today. It was pretty warm outside. Needless to say, the air coming out of the seats was much cooler than ambient. I do not know what the source is, but the air was a lot cooler than the air in the cab. Sure felt good! The seat became cool to the touch after only a few minutes.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Thought the cooled seat option was a bladder type system?

Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barritia
Your cold air for the seats is coming from a TED (Thermal Electric Device) located under the seat. There is a fan which blows the cool air from the device into your seat. Note however, the TED device is not very efficient at cooling and the thermal effects will eventually get washed out if left on for extended periods of time.

It is the same device which also provides warm air by simply reversing polarity. If you listen very carefully, you should be able to hear your fan operating one the TED is activated.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Like Peltier junctions (sp)?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:34 PM
If you leave the truck parked in the sun, it's going to take a while for the interior to cool down.

Using a windshield cover and tinting the glass helps but in the end, it takes a lot of energy to cool down the interior after it's been soaking in the sun's rays.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
Like Peltier junctions (sp)?
Exactly

Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Today, 92 degrees and humid as heck. The seats were freezing cold in minutes, the air took several again, but seemed to finally work okay. Too bad the two can't be reversed!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Aviator150
Me thinks you have to tell it if you want heat, or A/C. For cooling, I always and only leave three buttons pressed; Auto, A/C, and Recirc (not max A/C). Leaving it in this setting, I just set the temperature like I would if I was in my house. So far, it has worked like a charm. My only complaint, is that sometimes it can take 30 seconds for the fan to really kick in on a hot day. Once it does though, it works perfect.
Great advice Aviator150. Since my truck is still new to me, and I'm still feeling my way through it. I did what the owners manual recommended to do and selected Auto, A/C and Max A/C. It seemed to work fine, and I had no problems with it cooling the truck where we wanted it. But after a road-trip yesterday, I noticed that it was cycling cool air on and off. After switching the setting to where you mentioned it seemed to work better. It also placed the blow where it was needed between upper and lower areas.

The only problem I had with the Auto, A/C, and Recirculate was that the fan blew like a freight train when the truck was first started up. But and easy fix for that was to just increase the temp setting to around 70* and the fan simmered down quickly. I understand the fans kicks in as hard as it does to compensate for, and try to cool the interior faster. But the fan was a little overpowering, now I know why. The A/C setting was at 60*, no wonder

If you have a passenger and want to activate the dual climate control, simple press the daul switch.

Bob

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning-2010