2009 - 2014 F-150

2009-2010 4.6 2v MODS (Please Come in)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009-2010 4.6 2v MODS (Please Come in)

I just bought a 2010 F150 4.6L 2v XL and I cant seems to find performance parts anywhere. So I have a couple questions.

Where Do I look for performance parts?
Is the 4.6 the same as the 2006-2008?
Is the 4.6 the same as the mustang motor and can I buy the same performance bolt ons?
What is the best tuner?

What im planning on doing first is buying a tuner for a little power for now but also will be able to change the tune for a turbo later on.

If anyone could give me more information that would be great. This is my first f150 so im a newb but im very mechanically inclined.
RonRonvc07 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Nothing Really?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
i would stay away from the hypertech. i tried one on my 2010 f150 stx 4.6 2v and was not impressed i sent it back and got my money back.

im holding out for the custom tuners. the gryphon mainly.

the 2009-10 4.6 2v is very similar to the 04-08 but not the same.

the 09-10 is rated for more power.

example you could take a supercharger for a 03 f150 4.6 2v and make it work , there are threads where people have done this.

but for straight up bolt ons with no modifications theres not a whole lot out there right now.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by modru2004
i would stay away from the hypertech. i tried one on my 2010 f150 stx 4.6 2v and was not impressed i sent it back and got my money back.
That's a bit different from what you wrote over here:

Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior User
modru2004 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.

"well i got the hypertech programmer in today. have almost 500 miles on the truck now and couldn't wait to try it out.
so i plugged her in selected regular gas perf tune and let it flash. haven't touched the transmission options and stuff.
just the gas tune.
and wow it really woke this 4.6 up. theres definitely a noticeable difference. much better throttle response now."
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93...-4-6-2v-2.html

Your post was the first item that came up on google when I searched for a tuner for this guy. If you no longer believe this tuner is any good, you should update your post. You don't want to give bad information.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Yea as the tuner part goes Ill probably get the predator just like the sts turbo kit. I think im going to save up and buy all the parts from the sts turbo kit and fab everything myself. It will be alot cheaper and should be able to get more power being that the turbo is only a 62mm turbo when im going to probably run the Holset HX 35. Any opinions?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by ronronvc07
Yea as the tuner part goes Ill probably get the predator just like the sts turbo kit. I think im going to save up and buy all the parts from the sts turbo kit and fab everything myself. It will be alot cheaper and should be able to get more power being that the turbo is only a 62mm turbo when im going to probably run the Holset HX 35. Any opinions?
well to clarify. it helped with sluggish throttle response. but there wasn't a huge difference. not enough to justify the price IMO. over the course of two weeks i tested stock versus tuned and realized their wasn't as much of a difference as id hoped. couldn't justify the cost for what it did and sent it back.

look its a decent tuner, and there are going to be some gains, but for the price i decided id rather wait and get a custom tune.

the menu system was horrid, its easy to do, but a pain in the butt to go through a bunch of y/n questions that your not wanting to mess with at the moment to get to something you want to mess with.

and returning it back to factory is a bit confusin gwith their system.

returning to stock is not the same as factory, which frees up the tuner for use on another vehicle.

look its does what it advertises, i just didn't think it was worth keeping when in a few months i can get a custom tune for a bit more.

with the snorkel removed, and exhaust done, the truck performs better than it ever did with the hypertech tuner back when intake and exhaust were stock.

food for thought.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
I talked to lane at troyer and he told me I should go with the sct 3015 model. Plug and play for now and will be good for custom tunes for the turbo setup. Does anyone know how much power you can get out of the 4.6 stock or how much boost I can run?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
or is there a shop I can call this forum isnt very helpful. (No Offense)

Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Edge is coming out in the next few weeks with a programmer for us with the 4.7 and the nfab bars work and so does the superchips for now.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
let me give my teaspoon of salt and 20% of a dime, or dont... honey badger dont care

"example you could take a supercharger for a 03 f150 4.6 2v and make it work , there are threads where people have done this."

there is in fact very few superchargers for 4.6 2v f150 of any year. better off looking for 2v 4.6 mustang parts. because you have a you have newer 2v 4.6, you should look into what was changed and go from there. if your going to "make it work" imo you should just turbo. better mpg, more potential hp, cheaper potentially.....
and if your motor blows just bolt in a 2v 5.4 like i did ; )

"I talked to lane at troyer and he told me I should go with the sct 3015 model. Plug and play for now and will be good for custom tunes for the turbo setup. Does anyone know how much power you can get out of the 4.6 stock or how much boost I can run?"

might just be me but that is bad advice....
SCT(superchips custom tuners) uses X2, X3 etc as thier models
superchips(a different company) made the model 3015. which lacking to say the least. i know i had one. good for STOCK vehicles. superchips has very limited tuning capability and nobody deals with them NO CUSTOM tunes. SCT seems to be the most popular tuner that can be tuned on the fly. thats what i went with. makes it much easier when your ready to dyno tune.

the gotts intake mod intake should work for your truck. it performs like any CAI is practically free and looks stock
weld on a new muffler- turbo style(straight through, no chambers) only. i heard the 2010 are a straight through muffler already so gains are prolly minimal. fyi i welded a side pipe exhaust that got rid of the kinked bends with mandrel bends. it sounds+performs 100% better. you may/may not have kinked bends. i paid $80 total
then get a tuner.

personally, ive run UDP pullies and e fans and i dont think either are worth the 3% in power vs the cost, aggravation, and drivability issues.
UDP s rob your altenator in witch makes it harder to turn in witch robs any hp you might think you gained. also your lights might dim, your bass wont hit as hard, possible harder starting
same with e fans. they rob your altenator witch robs any power you might have gained. fuses, relays, and temp sensors can go bad causing your engine to overheat and blow. the e-fans are better mod imo just for the looks.

if you want power past the exhaust, CAI, tuner go right to FI. anything else is just a waste of time and money ...
the 4.6 2v i saw in the 400ish rwhp with a proper sized turbo and tune.
stock block "they say"can handle 6-8 psi with a GOOD tune.
up to 12psi i would say is possible with a either a great tune, race gas, or meth injection or a properly built engine with low compression, forged rods and pistons and with supporting mods of course.... beefed tranny, + fuel system etc

the holset hx35 turbo should be a great choice.(i am curious where you stumbled upon them) find the one with the 7 blade compressor if at all possible. do as much research as humanly possible(if you want your setup to last) and expect to spend around 2k minimum

"Edge is coming out in the next few weeks with a programmer for us with the 4.7 and the nfab bars work and so does the superchips for now."

us with the 4.7, what you switch sides and buy a dodge!!!!
n fab bars work... wtf random. i love the nfab side step bars and light bar however
superchips does make a good safe tuner that is easy to use for STOCK vehicles or lightly modded ventricles.

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 03-15-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 AM
If your going to do this dont waste your time on silly boxed tuners and oil catch cans, and CAI's. To get anything worth talking about you need to invest in forced inductions, headers, or new internals. With an alumnium block and I dont know if the internals are forged in that, but forced induction will only take you so far. The money your going to spend to make the truck worth it, you my as well get a newer one.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by nards444
If your going to do this dont waste your time on silly boxed tuners and oil catch cans, and CAI's. To get anything worth talking about you need to invest in forced inductions, headers, or new internals. With an alumnium block and I dont know if the internals are forged in that, but forced induction will only take you so far. The money your going to spend to make the truck worth it, you my as well get a newer one.
i didnt even think that he might have a 3v 4.6, i forgot it was an option. i didnt know they came with a aluminum blocks. thats surprising. i doubt anything is forged. i know SOME 2v 5.4 (like one year 99') and the lightnings have forged cranks. lightnings have better rods and pistons but they might not even be forged.

"forced induction will only take you so far."

true. to an extent. its prolly more than hes looking for. it is a full size truck not a mustang. it will take you as far as you want/afford to go. 400rwhp translates to like 500 crank hp. much more is not really streetable and dosnt make for a good daily driver imo.

the money you put into will never be "worth it". it will just be a bigger hole. i dont know what youd gain from buying a newer truck when there all pretty much the same. i think we all want more power, and if thats the case we should ALL buy brand new trucks.

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 03-21-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
"forced induction will only take you so far."
This is an old thread, and the OP might not even be around anymore, but I'm going to comment anyhow.

Back in '02 I bolted a Magnacharger (Allen) supercharger to the 2V 4.6 in the '98 F150 STX that I had. Maybe it only took me "so far" but it was far more powerful than stock. It was night and day. I never dynoed the truck but the thing was much faster and had a ton more torque.

I currently have a '11 F150 with the base 3.7 V6. I'd like to supercharge this one too. Not a roots like the '98 had, but a centrifugal. Sure, I could have got a 5.0, but I was thinking about fuel economy. I could have got and EcoBoost, but I was looking specifically for a rcsb. You can't get an EcoBoost in that config. I don't want a race truck, just a little oomph to make up for the couple annoying weak points. If ProCharger were to offer a kit for the 3.7 F150, I would seriously consider making the investment.

Supercharger kits cost more these days than I paid back in '03. If what you want is appreciable gains, and you are willing to invest some cash in your truck, a supercharger will take you farther than some people think. Just make sure you do it right. There is a section of this forum that is a great resource for information.

Last edited by wittom; 03-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Supercharger Question

Ok, since superchargers were brought up, I'm going to ask some questions on the subject if nobody cares. I have a 09 F150 with the gutless 4.6L 2V engine and I was given a practically new P-1SC Procharger, (the reason I'm willing to spend a little to make it work) minus piping and hardware. Of course nobody makes a kit for the late model 4.6 2V so am I wasting my time at trying to install and or adapt this procharger to my truck? If it is doable, what else should I look at having to modify? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2009-2010 4.6 2v MODS (Please Come in)