2009 - 2014 F-150

E-Fan direction question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Fan direction question...

Do the E Fans blow outward?

While sitting at a light on the way home last week in a bit or a severe rain a significant amount of steam started to roll out from under the hood. I pulled into a lot and popped the hood expecting to find a loose hose clamp or something, since the truck is pretty new still. Instead there was a bunch of steam coming off the radiator. It appeared to the fan was blowing it outward while cooling and was evaporating the rain spray from the radiator. It happened again this morning as I pulled into work.

I've kept an eye on it and there does not appear to be any leakage, as the fluid levels are all solid so I thought I would get some input on the direction of the fans.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:20 PM
The fans pull the air through the radiator to cool the engine. What's happening is they're pulling hard enough that the rain is getting on the hot rad and causing the steam. That steam can also be from the hot exhaust as the water splashes up under the hood.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
do you park near sprinklers that could be filling the front end with water?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. The steam is clearly coming from the radiator and there is no indication of steam behind it. I will do more investigation as it occurs again.

No Patman, no sprinklers, I just drive fast through a wall of water for thirty miles or so every now and then. The spring time rains can be a bit heavy here in the pacific northwest.

Quick Reply: E-Fan direction question...