2009 - 2014 F-150

base stereo vs the 700w Sony stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 10 Platinum SCREW and it came with the sony/nav set up. I've always had aftermarket premium 6K+ system/equipment in my past trucks and I do have to say this sony is "nice" for a stock system. The plus.... it sounds good within the mid/low/highs... but exactly what other people say.. if you want to turn it up... fuggetaboutit. My original thought was try the new Jl Clean Sweep and throw in new amp,sub,speakers and go from there. Then found out the JL sweep as awesome as I've heard it it and cleans up the sound alot... you must use a dial to use for the volume. The factoy system volume has to stay at an exact point for the calibration to work or its all worthless. People take the ***** off thier stereo just so people don't mess with the calibration!! So anyways.. that is a huge downfall in my own opinion. Having a nice clean look.. but then have to have a small dial mounted somewhere to use for the volume... and to top it off I dont know if or what It would do with the SYNC system (which is great I think). I'm going to talk to my sound guys and see if just installing all new speakers throughout the truck and replacing the amp with something larger.. and the sub with something similar like a JL Flat? would improve the overall sound at higher volumes.
Anyone actually done anything to this set up and have it all work flawlessly?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the base stereo is the worst factory stereo i have ever had in the 12 vehicles i have owned in my life. i didnt go with the sony because i knew i was gonna go aftermarket.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 AM
The one thing i liked better about my 2009 Ranger FX4 over my 2010 F-150 was the stereo.But the Ranger had the optional Pioneer 290 watt 6 disc stereo in it and i must say that thing rocked.

Later Mark.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I love the Sony system for a package deal it sounds good. I had two tens and component speakers and 1800 watts in my old truck so it cant compare with that, but it sounds good. As far as the sub, it is enough bass for me. I'm over the loud bass thig. Had that before and it got old. The Sony could use a little more bass at high volume but I'm still impressed

Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The base system is AWEFUL! Within 2 wks of owning my truck, I ordered a 5 channel sound processor, 2 amps, 4 new speakers, and 2 subs and a sub box for under the rear seat. With those upgrades, it sounds good and retains all sync features. But it quite a bit more expensive than the $4xx? price to upgrade to the sony 700w.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 PM
so the sony system is a must if you dont plan to upgrade?

if i get an f150, i drive 60k miles a year for work, i dont want to add much since i deprecate so much anyway, i would need to go sony or go home.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Fx4'er
Im happy with my 700w sound system. Upgrades are for the home theatre, but if you have the $$$ why not I guess.
Its pretty sweet driving down the highway when your car stereo sounds as good/better than your home theatre.

I think the Factory sound upgrade isn't a bad deal but you can certainly build a much better aftermarket system with the same or a tad more money.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MattinNashville
so the sony system is a must if you dont plan to upgrade?

if i get an f150, i drive 60k miles a year for work, i dont want to add much since i deprecate so much anyway, i would need to go sony or go home.
IMHO - If you have an ear for any kind of quality sound with depth, it is a must if you don't plan to upgrade it. The base system is truly lacking in any decent sound quality. If you only listen to news or talk radio - get the base system. If you want to play any kind of music and actually appreciate it, I'd get the Sony.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 AM
What's involved with retaining Sync functionality with a new system? Is there a module that interfaces the two?

Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the Sony system sounded pretty good, then I went for a ride in the GF's Lincoln MKX w/THX system. WOW!!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
I have the 700w system and I think it's the best stock setup I've ever heard. My only minor complaint is that there is no mid-range adjustment - only bass and treble. Overall I think it's quite good and 100x better than the lower systems Ford offers. Aftermarket is aftermarket - custom subs, amps, speakers, etc. will generally always be better, but a good chunk of coin.

I don't plan on upgrading mine, unless I blow something.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 PM
So anyone figured out a way to "fix" the diminishing bass on the sony system? Diff amp? Anyting that will allow the bass to increase with the volume as you crank it up?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
I would bet 95% of drivers would find the Sony system to be more than satisfactory. I know I do. My last car was a Range Rover with a very expensive highly touted sound system and it was only marginally better than the Ford Sony system. The only reason you'd want more bass is to bother your neighbors or if custom sound systems were your hobby or passion.

Last edited by eye.surgeon; 11-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I guess I can decide If I want more bass, and those reasons are mine alone.

My 04 audiophile bass does not quit as I turn it louder... Id prefer the same on the '11.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM
The stock base system is absolutely horrible. I test drove a truck with the Sony and I though it sounded good, but way better than the base stereo. I would of bought the upgrade but I didnt have time to order a truck and the one they had in stock had all the options I wanted minus the stereo. I think the Sony system is a overall good value. Even if you are not satisfied with it you can upgrade the door speakers and it will sound even better being that it already has clean power being sent to the speakers.

Quick Reply: base stereo vs the 700w Sony stereo