2009 - 2014 F-150

base stereo vs the 700w Sony stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seadragon
I'll be the odd one out and say that I actually don't mind the stock system. Then again, I've never had a premium sound system in any of my vehicles. But, to my ears, there is enough volume, bass and treble for my liking. Plus, I wouldn't want a subwoofer taking up that valuable floor space in the back either.
I'm with you. The stock system is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Perhaps I am completely bedazzled with the Sync system or I just have really low standard. My home theater system is a 12-15 year old Aiwa shelf system I paid no more than $120, so that might tell you something.

I will say that the stock systems in both my Hyundai Elantra Touring and Toyota Tacoma Access Cab kicked a bit harder than the stock F-150 system. The worst system was in my 1991 F-150 SCab. Someone made the comment that the rear speakers in their truck sounded non-existent. Well, rear speakers in my '91 were non existent! My custom system for that truck consisted of a Sony 52W x 4 channel CD deck with remote (Sync's grandfather?) with some sort of aftermarket speakers up front and a set of deck speakers made for mounting on the rear deck of a car mounted on the floor under the rear bench seat. It was crappy, but it played CDs loudly, so I was happy. Not much has changed. My stock system turns up loud enough for me to not be able to hear ambulances, so I figure it is more than enough. I would like a little more bass, so perhaps some aftermarket speakers might deliver a little more punch. I really hate the idea of adding an amp and a sub since I like an uncluttered interior.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Would someone mind listing all of the components that makes up the premium Sony system? Pictures would be nice also. Part number if available.

Who has updated your truck with the Ford Sony system yourself? I did the same thing to my '07 XLT with a complete Audiophile sound system and was wondering if it's doable in my '10 XLT Screw.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:27 PM
amp only?

Yes, the stock system is horrible. I have the "Premium" non-sony setup because I didn't want to lose the space under the rear seats. Sounds worse than the system in my '96 Explorer xlt did.

Question is, has anyone tried just installing a slightly more powerful amplifier and powering the existing speakers? A lot of times your sound quality and poor performance comes from lack of power, not necessarily the speakers themselves. I recently replaced the head unit in a 12 year old honda from stock and had thought all speakers were shot. Turns out the rear speakers just needed more power and the sound quality is suprisingly good. May be a similar issue with the Fords. Usually the stock amps are junk, but the speakers can perform suprisingly well...

Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Ive never heard the Sony system but I have to say I was really disapointed when I heard the base stereo in my dad's xlt. It just doesnt have any power, with it fully cranked you can still talk over it. My moms 04 explorer sounds way better. I think this is something Ford needs to improve, the base Chevy system sounds pretty good to me and has atleast twice the volume.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by 09fx4inMD
Question is, has anyone tried just installing a slightly more powerful amplifier and powering the existing speakers?
Great idea. The benefit to this approach is that you've lost nothing if it doesn't help. You can always add the speakers later.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by 09fx4inMD
Question is, has anyone tried just installing a slightly more powerful amplifier and powering the existing speakers? A lot of times your sound quality and poor performance comes from lack of power, not necessarily the speakers themselves.

You totally hit the nail on the head!!! I think alot of ppl have a few hundred dollars buring a hole in their pockets, and some how validate in their heads that adding new speaker will be the best bang for their buck...its like dressing up a turd...problem is...its still a turd!

One other thing that can make the stock speakers sound much better , other then a better amp..is a crossover!

Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
You totally hit the nail on the head!!! I think alot of ppl have a few hundred dollars buring a hole in their pockets, and some how validate in their heads that adding new speaker will be the best bang for their buck...its like dressing up a turd...problem is...its still a turd!

One other thing that can make the stock speakers sound much better , other then a better amp..is a crossover!
I wonder if anyone has tried it yet? I would be curious to hear the results. a 4 channel 250 or 300 watt peak amp can me had for real cheap. There are even temporary ways of wiring it to test it, although I am not looking forward to pulling the panel off the center stack - havnt looked into that yet.

Also, even the cheapest new speakers are rated at RMS of way less than what our stock units (sony or otherwise) put out, so you arent giving them the proper output in the first place without an amp.
A good rule of thumb is you always want an amp with more than enough power for your speakers otherwise you can max out the amp, which is what I think we are all hearing. Keep in mind the sony system is 700 watts PEAK and has to power 7 speakers including a subwoofer... Sony likes to overrate their products whereas companies like JL audio rate their components more towards RMS of their amps. So a JL 500 watt amp is around 500 rms and roughly 850 to 1000 peak whereas a Sony 500 amp is 500 peak and maybe 250 RMS. the RMS is the important number. Sorry just thinking out loud here.

I think I am going to start looking at amps to give this a shot...

The only remaining problem is those like myself who are satellite radio addicts are stuck with Sirius if we want to retain the factory appearance and sync, etc. Sirius sacrifices sound quality for signal strength unlike XM which is the opposite. CDs are noticably better quality than Siruis, with XM they are nearly identical.

Last edited by 09fx4inMD; 11-16-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 PM
there are numerous ppl who have added an amp to a stock radio. They have to use some sort of LOC. these can range from like $20 to a few hundred. IMO and experience I have never seen a LOC be 100% noise free, so basically that means you are amplifying the noise..and will def hear it. the key is to "start" withthe best possible source. Even produced CD's arent all equal. Then you get ppl swearing that compressed music signals are a perfect source material. Yeah sure they are if the rest of your sound chain has a weak link.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
there are numerous ppl who have added an amp to a stock radio. They have to use some sort of LOC. these can range from like $20 to a few hundred. IMO and experience I have never seen a LOC be 100% noise free, so basically that means you are amplifying the noise..and will def hear it. the key is to "start" withthe best possible source. Even produced CD's arent all equal. Then you get ppl swearing that compressed music signals are a perfect source material. Yeah sure they are if the rest of your sound chain has a weak link.
Well there is a difference between good sound quality and amplification. The addition of an amp idea will create more volume and therefore less distortion, especially at high volumes. However, you are still getting your signal from the stock head unit and are at the mercy of the sound quality of the stock system. To do it all "right" and bypass all of the stock systems shortcomings, you would have to replace everything, including the tuner. I like the look of stock though and have 3 other cars so I cant dedicate a of money to the solution, but want less distortion as there isn't enough power in the stock system to hear it with the windows down on the HWY, especially if you have 35" mudders under you. SO, my solution is not the end all, but IMO makes more sense than replacing all speakers and running them from the stock amp.

And BTW I am asking in particular about those who have taken an '09+ F150 and tried adding an amp with stock speakers. I know many have done it in the past with other vehicles, myself included, but not all systems react the same. I did not notice any significant increase in background noise with either a "High" input taken from the speaker wire itself or through an RCA converter. You don't need to buy any converter if you take the signal from the speaker wire itself between the stock amp and speaker.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I had a truck with the base stereo for a few days as a loaner while the dealer had my truck with the sony system so I had plenty of time to compare. Bottom line is that both systems are total crap but I'd say the Sony system is a must (especially if your not gonna upgrade for awhile) for a few reasons;

**Molded tweeters in the A pillar. Without a chunk of money, you will never achieve the factory look that these provide. They are also easily upgraded.
**Center channel speaker. Adds decent sound staging.
*Overall better sound quality throughout all volumes but especially low to mid volumes
*Sub. The sub is a joke but at low to mid volume it sounds just ok on music types that have bass notes above 50hz

My wife knows absolutely nothing of sound quality, sound staging, etc. She can barely tell a difference from HD and standard def. tv! That said, she even complained about how bad the base stereo sounded. It is literally garbage. Even with the Sony system, I'll be replacing everything except the head unit asap but, if I were gonna be stuck with the base stereo for long, Id just buy a cat-back exhaust and listen to it instead.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by 2010FX2
Bottom line is that both systems are total crap but I'd say the Sony system is a must (especially if your not gonna upgrade for awhile) for a few reasons;

My wife knows absolutely nothing of sound quality, sound staging, etc. She can barely tell a difference from HD and standard def. tv!
Total Crap................please!!

I would also strongly recommend an appointment with a qualified "Eye Doctor"!!

Bob G.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
I have (had) the 700w Sony and upgraded.

Problems to address if u go Sony:
-Bass clipping at higher volumes
-Sub is too small and underpowered (thus the amp clips the bass)
-Rear door speakers still suck and are over powered by front seperates

Positive reasons to START withthe sony:
-Front seperates are pretty strong
-Center speaker in the dash
-Head Unit cant be changed easily (if u have synch, bluetooth, steering wheel controls) so why not order a system that can do it.

I tossed the sony sub and added a 600+ watt amp and two 12" Kicker CVTs in a custom box for like $600. A guy on ebay sells pkg deals and my bro and i have bought 2 and been happy. My system just needs new rear speakers and amp now to fight the subs back there. This is for the sanity of rear seat passengers because it sounds perfect in the front where the better seperates are. It needs seperates back there like r in the front. I have a PAC line converter(cheap). I linked to it if you check my posts. Had a more expensive Re-Q but it didnt help. Some argue this, but i still have minor bass clipping even though i removed the sub n sub's amp. Everyone says the sub amp clips the bass. Replacing the head unit (i wanted to do this)would just cost a fortune for all the interfaces needed - synch, bluetooth, steering wheel.

Last edited by casedog; 11-22-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
And for those that DIDNT order the Sony because of floor space, it is plug n play. Removed easily to add space the few times you need it.

oh, and if you spent $3000 on a system and the Sony still sounded better, I cant imagine that.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Bob G, my point was that my wife doesn't notice things like stereo and that's why it was so surprising when she complained about it...
And yes it is total crap. Compare the Sony system with other manufacturers upgraded stereo packages for starters. There is no comparison between the dinky Sony and the infinity system in my Cherokee or the Bose in my tahoe.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2004 pontiac vibe bare bones, no options, sounds as good as the 700W sony system except for highs at high volume. Bass no problem, volume no problem, low to medium volume, no problem. If they ever released a Mark LT version with the THX sound system, then we could brag about the high end factory system. I have to agree, would not consider the 700W Sony upgrade competitive.

But the base system sucks so bad. MY 97 F150 had a better base sounding system. If you don't plan to ever upgrade, get the Sony system. Although not the best, it is a decent upgrade for the money. Otherwise, get the base system and upgrade yourself - that is what I did and I can hang with the young crowd again.

Quick Reply: base stereo vs the 700w Sony stereo