2009 - 2014 F-150

base stereo vs the 700w Sony stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart stores sell Sony stereo systems. Just because it's a Sony doesn't mean it's going have the same quality sound like the high end Sony systems will sound like.

The Bose system that GM offers in some of the vehicle sounds far better than the Sony systems in the late model Ford trucks.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by shortride
Wal-Mart stores sell Sony stereo systems. Just because it's a Sony doesn't mean it's going have the same quality sound like the high end Sony systems will sound like.

The Bose system that GM offers in some of the vehicle sounds far better than the Sony systems in the late model Ford trucks.

Hahahaah..those are two words not to use in the same sentence...sony and quality. Sony use to be on top of the audio market, but then had their hands in way to many pots, and lost the edge. The last time Sony had any quality was back with their "Mobile ES line" which stood for Elevated Standard. then they came out with their Explode series...biggest piece of cr@p there was! They have not been able to regain their spot in the mobile industry since. The only good thing about the "Sony Nav" unit in Ford is the fact that its a Microsoft OS system. The sound quality of the sytem is regular sony quality....which isnt saying much They should stick with gaming systems

Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Hahahaah..those are two words not to use in the same sentence...sony and quality. Sony use to be on top of the audio market, but then had their hands in way to many pots, and lost the edge. The last time Sony had any quality was back with their "Mobile ES line" which stood for Elevated Standard. then they came out with their Explode series...biggest piece of cr@p there was! They have not been able to regain their spot in the mobile industry since. The only good thing about the "Sony Nav" unit in Ford is the fact that its a Microsoft OS system. The sound quality of the sytem is regular sony quality....which isnt saying much They should stick with gaming systems
I bought a JVC head unit at Wally-World for 80 bucks for my Honda. I have always liked JVC and their quality still stands. Recommended over Sony.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by shortride

They both suck bad. Bose is one of the biggest scams in the audio industry, some of the poorest built speakers I've ever seen. I cannot believe how much they charge for that garbage, people are sucked into their name brand.

Simply adding a powerful amplifier will really waken your speakers up. The 3-4 watts of continuous power per channel of the stock stereo is NOT going to give you a lot of output, but 30+ watts per channel will. And for those who don't think the stock speaker can take power, it took me 250 watts RMS when I smoked one for fun. Surprising for how cheap and poorly made they are.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
what you say is true about BOSE, but their factory auto stuff sounds pretty good, some of the time. my father in law's vette had one of the worst bose factory systems i have heard. my old 97 maxima was awesome for a factory unit and hadnt heard one that was as good until my father in law's avalanche. for the most part, their stuff sounds good. way better than most i have heard.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I just built a new XLT and can't find a way to upgrade under the audio upgrade tab. All I see is Sirius? Maybe the Sony is tucked into another package?

I really want Sync and don't want to destroy the look of the factory dash. Why can't Ford put a decent system in a 30k+ truck?

Greg

Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Greg Matty
I just built a new XLT and can't find a way to upgrade under the audio upgrade tab. All I see is Sirius? Maybe the Sony is tucked into another package?

I really want Sync and don't want to destroy the look of the factory dash. Why can't Ford put a decent system in a 30k+ truck?

Greg
i am pretty sure, at least with the 2009-10 models, you could not get the SONY with the XLT model. FX4/2 and up, i believe.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Great Info-Quick Question

Thanks for the great info. I just purchased a 2009 F-150 King Ranch SC, has factory system as well. I picked up a factory sony sub. I believe I have the audiophile system but, was curious if the pigtail for the sub was still run to the back. I want to install the factory sony enclosure and tap it into the factory system. Any ideas? Thanks, Mill

Originally Posted by casedog
I have (had) the 700w Sony and upgraded.

Problems to address if u go Sony:
-Bass clipping at higher volumes
-Sub is too small and underpowered (thus the amp clips the bass)
-Rear door speakers still suck and are over powered by front seperates

Positive reasons to START withthe sony:
-Front seperates are pretty strong
-Center speaker in the dash
-Head Unit cant be changed easily (if u have synch, bluetooth, steering wheel controls) so why not order a system that can do it.

I tossed the sony sub and added a 600+ watt amp and two 12" Kicker CVTs in a custom box for like $600. A guy on ebay sells pkg deals and my bro and i have bought 2 and been happy. My system just needs new rear speakers and amp now to fight the subs back there. This is for the sanity of rear seat passengers because it sounds perfect in the front where the better seperates are. It needs seperates back there like r in the front. I have a PAC line converter(cheap). I linked to it if you check my posts. Had a more expensive Re-Q but it didnt help. Some argue this, but i still have minor bass clipping even though i removed the sub n sub's amp. Everyone says the sub amp clips the bass. Replacing the head unit (i wanted to do this)would just cost a fortune for all the interfaces needed - synch, bluetooth, steering wheel.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Generally speaking most stock stereo systems have been sub-standard. But it really depends on from who's perspective that standard is being measured. Some people do not have the so called “ear” for quality sounds coming out of a factory or any other system nor could they care less. It’s not so much that the factory system sound so badly in our trucks as much as other quality systems sound so much better. I've compared the stock sound system in my ‘10 XLT to the Sony 700w stereo in my friends new Platinum and it’s not even a fair comparison. Now, can most any system be made to sound better? Sure, if you want to spend the money.

I've got to chuckle a bit when I see and heard some multi-thousand dollar stereo's. I often wonder if they're showing off a really nice sounding system or are they just bragging how much money they have spent.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I had the base system in my '10 Lariat and thought that it sucked. I got it because I didn't want to lose the floor space in the back for a sub. Once I realized how crappy it was, I considered upgrading, but didn't want to lose the SYNC features and didn't want to spend a fortune.

On the '11 I decided to give up the floor space for the upgraded system. I'm glad I did. Like others, I have noticed that the bass is lacking as you turn up the volume, but the sound is so much clearer than the base system that I am happy. Maybe I'll just add another sub on the other side and be very happy!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I've got the Sony/Nav & I like it. I've gotten quite a few compiments on it for being a factory system.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Awhile back, I had seen on this or another forum, the simple mod of adding poly fiber fill to the inside of the sub enclosure and I found that it helped the bass alot on the Sony system. Certainly worth the $5 investment...

Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by casedog
And for those that DIDNT order the Sony because of floor space, it is plug n play. Removed easily to add space the few times you need it.
Glad to hear it is easy to take the sub out. What is required? Tools? Time?

Originally Posted by philsd
Awhile back, I had seen on this or another forum, the simple mod of adding poly fiber fill to the inside of the sub enclosure and I found that it helped the bass alot on the Sony system. Certainly worth the $5 investment...
Where can you get the foam at and how hard is it to crack the sub open?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 AM
I have the Sony 700w and it sucks big time. My 08 Superduty had the audio upgrade and killed this system. The SD had thundering bass and my FX4 is non existent. I was wondering if that was a sub under the rear passenger and apparently it is? I may have to investigate further to make sure it's even playing.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 AM
I love how the factory Sony 700w stereo sounds.

Quick Reply: base stereo vs the 700w Sony stereo