2009 - 2014 F-150

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start

I've had my 09 Lariat SCrew sitting in the driveway for about a week and a half now. I just got in it to run to Lowe's and the damn thing wouldn't start. When I turn the key, the engine turns over for several seconds until giving up on firing.

Here is the relevant history:
I had the battery disconnected for about an hour or two since the I last parked it.
It is currently sitting backed up in my drive way which has a downward slope towards the road (gas is currently at a 1/4 tank per the gauge).
I have all of my door panels and power window/locks removed. Can't imagine that would be anything.
After I attempt to start it, the oil indicator lights up in my dash. This may just mean that it's getting time to change the oil, not sure.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:23 PM
I had a similar starting problem, although my battery was dead enough not to turn over the motor. I got a jump and it fired right off - and since that time, no further problems. I will add this was when I had all my door panels/switches off and installing an amp, power lead, etc. I thought is was wierd the way it happened - I too had the battery disconnected.

Post up the end result and best of luck!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever you disconnect the battery, not only does the truck need to re-learn how to adapt to driving style, but also to perform its first start. It will take 2 - 3 seconds to restart the truck after disconnect.

A battery will self discharge on its own especially in high heat. Where are you located? But only a week and half doesn't sound long enough to completely discharge. My guess, the battery was fairly weak to begin with. Is the oil indicator light the oil change reminder or an issue with oil pressure?

There were some reports, not many, stating the fuel level gauge wasn't that accurate.

My suggestion, jump start the truck. If no go, put 5 gallons of gas in it. Attempt to jump start again. The truck should be cranking over really well when attempting to jump starting. If gas and battery don't fix the issue, there are other problems.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Oddly enough it was an issue with fuel. After disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, the truck said that it was empty. I added 4 gallons of gas, and it started right up. I then drove over to the nearest gas station and it would only take 22 gallons (so 26 gallons total). There should have been roughly 10 gallons in there based on a 36 gallon capacity, so I'm a little confused.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Are you sure you got the 36 gallon tank? 26 is standard on most.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Gir
There was another thread recently about parking on inclines with less than a quarter tank and not starting.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Yep, definitely have the 36 gallon tank. 4x4 w/ towing package.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start