2009 - 2014 F-150

Have a issue with speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:05 AM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok computer police for the record im not racing around i drive for a living put hundreds of mile a day in big trucks Im just asking a Question. Just wanting to know what its capable of, thats it .I have had trucks my whole life and use my licence for a living so Im not out racing around with daddys truck so kill the cr----p about oh thats dangerous. Just asking a question . But lets just say one day u need to go fast for any reason Im shore u would like know what it could do

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:08 AM
Unhappy

That's what the Ford Lightning is for --Bring it back !!

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by not you
But lets just say one day u need to go fast for any reason Im shore u would like know what it could do
I understand where you are coming from, but....After almost 20 years working the streets the only time I had the need to go very fast was chasing someone else who was going fast. I did it with lights and sirens. One of the reasons there are so many police officer involved accidents is due to the speed. There are other things like taking radio calls, reading dispatches from a computer etc, but a lot has to do with speed. All cops are trained in high speed driving and they still have issues. A lot has to do with people who are driving around them freaking out and doing extremely stupid stuff. Studies have shown that going more than 10-15 miles an hour over the posted speed limit has little significance on the amount of time to destination. So the need to go over 90 mph really isn't present for anybody, when weighed against the risk to yourself and/or society.

I also understand your desire to know what your truck can do. I think every man wants to know how fast their ride is. It is just better to do that sort of stuff at a race track, not on the streets.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by not you
Ok computer police for the record im not racing around i drive for a living put hundreds of mile a day in big trucks Im just asking a Question. Just wanting to know what its capable of, thats it .I have had trucks my whole life and use my licence for a living so Im not out racing around with daddys truck so kill the cr----p about oh thats dangerous. Just asking a question . But lets just say one day u need to go fast for any reason Im shore u would like know what it could do
If you double the speed limit , it's not the speed that gets you there faster. Because the other traffic slows you down.

But i do remember when I thought I had to go fast also. I at one time had one of the fastest street cars in my area, and I set out to prove it everyday. Just make sure you live long enough to out grow it. I can tell you from experience. Auto accidents can not just kill you. bu they can make you spend years wishing you were dead, and I was only doing about 10 over the last accident I had. It wasn't even my fault. The same thing coulda happened if I were doing the speed limit.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:36 AM
I really don't understand why anyone would want to go fast in one of these trucks. Were talking about 16 second vehicles through the 1/4 mile which is far from impressive, trucks are about as aerodynamic as a brick. Anybody who thinks these trucks are "fast" are sadly mistaken. On top of that look at how trucks handle in general, now think about them handling at 90 plus driving down the freeway. I see people all the time driving like idiots down the freeway and when they change lanes the body roll is insane. Most trucks out there dont even have tires that are rated for speeds over 100 anyways. I still like to enjoy mine though from time to time. Its kinda fun to open it up through first and second gear but after that it just takes forever to get anywhere, lol. Basically if you want to go fast then get a car built for it. You will still look like an idiot driving down the freeway at 100 plus but at least you will be safer, lol.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor
I just think all of us like to go fast every once in a while. I saw on the news last week where a 70 yr old grandma was clocked doing over 100, when she was stopped and asked why she was going so fast, she replied "I was late for my hair appointment" LOL So see no matter what age we are we still like fast sometimes.

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Never had a reason to go 100mph in my truck. Sports cars are made for going fast, so get one if you want to mess with triple-digits. I guess it just isn't that exciting to me to want to run that fast in my truck, and it burns a butt load of gas for anything over 70 mph.

Old 06-04-2010 | 10:30 AM
To each his or her own, I for one don't need to do over 90 in mine.

I challenge the comment about break in..

The motor is broken in after the first 20 minutes of operation or so, the rings and bearings are seated and you are done. Race motors are built, run for 20 minutes, then tuned on a dyno, run at 7 to 10 grand and then their next step is the track. A modern truck motor is precision built (not like the old days - sorry guys but back in the day most stock motors were sloppy crap) and does not require an extended brak in period. Wear is a different story, the engine will wear faster at high RPM, greater stress on parts when they move faster, the pistons are moving so fast in the cylinder that rods, bolts bearings and even the crank get stressed. What that limit is I don't know but apparently Ford decided what was optimal for the life of the motor they built or maybe it was for safety/legal reasons, who knows. I say if you want to go faster and maybe do so damage its your call and your dime.

Old 06-04-2010 | 11:48 AM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
The reason for the limiter is the speed rating on the OEM tires.

Old 06-04-2010 | 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by GTXKen
To each his or her own, I for one don't need to do over 90 in mine.

I challenge the comment about break in..

The motor is broken in after the first 20 minutes of operation or so, the rings and bearings are seated and you are done. Race motors are built, run for 20 minutes, then tuned on a dyno, run at 7 to 10 grand and then their next step is the track. A modern truck motor is precision built (not like the old days - sorry guys but back in the day most stock motors were sloppy crap) and does not require an extended brak in period. Wear is a different story, the engine will wear faster at high RPM, greater stress on parts when they move faster, the pistons are moving so fast in the cylinder that rods, bolts bearings and even the crank get stressed. What that limit is I don't know but apparently Ford decided what was optimal for the life of the motor they built or maybe it was for safety/legal reasons, who knows. I say if you want to go faster and maybe do so damage its your call and your dime.

Believe it or not, there are still carbon atoms in the steel that temperature and the tempering of the steel, that break in does make a difference in the life of the engine.

Old 06-04-2010 | 12:54 PM
Its there for tire rating.

I don't like it cause every once in a while lets say your behind a long line of slow pokes on a 2 lane highway and you wait and wait and eventually you can pass and alls good and then bang someone appears out of the blue (rolling hills or no lights at dusk WHATEVER) and you need to get by NOW and then just before you easily make it... wack... Limiter. It sucks.

If once a year I find myself in a position where I need to go 1 or 2 or 5 mph over that limit... I think I should be able to.

Old 06-04-2010 | 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I don't like it cause every once in a while lets say your behind a long line of slow pokes on a 2 lane highway and you wait and wait and eventually you can pass and alls good and then bang someone appears out of the blue (rolling hills or no lights at dusk WHATEVER) and you need to get by NOW and then just before you easily make it... wack... Limiter. It sucks.
Well, this is where proper driving technique comes into play. Instead of flooring it up to ridiculous speeds and playing chicken with the car coming towards you (and most likely scaring the sh*t out of them), you should merge back into the traffic you're trying to pass and wait your turn for another opportunity. In fact, twice I've almost been killed and had to veer off onto the shoulder because of some jack*ss passing a line of traffic and flooring it instead of getting back in line. Head on at those speeds and no one walks away.

Last edited by seadragon; 06-04-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2010 | 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba
Believe it or not, there are still carbon atoms in the steel that temperature and the tempering of the steel, that break in does make a difference in the life of the engine.
I don't believe it. If you are getting your motor hot enough to temper steel you have real problems.

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I don't believe it. If you are getting your motor hot enough to temper steel you have real problems.
We aint maken swords here buckwheat.

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Plus, Do you remember the first oil change is at a shorter interval. There are particals of metal just laying around in the engine. But that's OK. It's all good. It's broke in when it leaves the assembly line, during the drive to the parking lot. You're good to go!

Quick Reply: Have a issue with speed