2009 - 2014 F-150

Have a issue with speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seadragon
Well, this is where proper driving technique comes into play. Instead of flooring it up to ridiculous speeds and playing chicken with the car coming towards you (and most likely scaring the sh*t out of them), you should merge back into the traffic you're trying to pass and wait your turn for another opportunity. In fact, twice I've almost been killed and had to veer off onto the shoulder because of some jack*ss passing a line of traffic and flooring it instead of getting back in line. Head on at those speeds and no one walks away.
I bet my self $20 some holier than thou "driving expert" would pipe in. You didn't read my post or you don't understand. There are times when guys pass and they shouldn't, been there too, thats not what I was talking about so save it for someone else. There are times you can have the driving manual shoved up your **** and this still happens. In your example your dependant on the ahole beside you letting you back in. In my example I control my destiny with my gas pedal.

There are always situations where things happen. Your assuming all the other drivers have proper technique.

Power/Speed & brakes are all sometimes nessesary for safe defense driving.

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:43 PM
Another example of speed/power being a safety issue.

I can't recall which one but when the newest TuRD debute one of the car rags did a full test. The were passing a car or two on a two lane highway. Would have been a normal pass, no biggie, but when they floored it (and to Turds credit they have alot of *****) it kicked down hard and the traction control sensed some slippage (Even at 50 whatever mph) so it cut engine power. Now instead of a safe pass, they're hanging out in the oncomming lane wondering what the heck is going on. Lucily they were able to pull back in and advert certain firey death. But another example where something meant to help you actually has potential to hurt you.

Old 06-04-2010 | 05:18 PM
Most all factory cars are limited around 100mph +/- 8mph... Be it for tire rating or general liability. I did love running down vettes in my Lightnings though... Proof a truck can be built for speed. I had better track times and top speeds than many performance cars while I was competing.

There are certain times like out in BFE west Texas I like to run it up there as it is 100-300 miles between civilizations...

Old 06-04-2010 | 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba
We aint maken swords here buckwheat.
Then what is this "tempering" required during break-in that you speak of? Is there a low temperature that metal will temper at that I am not aware of?

Old 06-04-2010 | 06:08 PM
Plus, Do you remember the first oil change is at a shorter interval. There are particals of metal just laying around in the engine. But that's OK. It's all good. It's broke in when it leaves the assembly line, during the drive to the parking lot. You're good to go!
No, I don't remember seeing Ford scheduling a shorter first oil change interval. The maintenance manual that came with my truck calls for an oil service every 7,500 miles.

Old 06-04-2010 | 06:56 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by foxracer2759
i didn't know since we had trucks we weren't allowed to go fast... some people like to push it to the limit some like to take it easy. i don't understand why NOT. people drive that speed on the autobahn all day long.... ive messed around with many ricers on the high way & blown them away, then i get to 95 & i cant go faster & they blow by me... very humiliating. i read a post on here where a guy told his ford dealer " listen i cant have these chebies beating me", & the dealer was like no problem & took the limiter off & i think he got up to like 120 or so
I feel the same way,we pay some heavy cash for these trucks and it's just nice to no it's there when you need the need for speed.

Old 06-04-2010 | 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Then what is this "tempering" required during break-in that you speak of? Is there a low temperature that metal will temper at that I am not aware of?
If you believe an engine is broken in at 600 miles, that's cool. I don't get in pissing matches. But I do know if you run yours that way , your engine will never last out its life expectancy.
I have a 14 year old engine, and something tells me yours would never last that long. Believe what you will. I've been around engines all my life. I've ru the crap out of new ones, and I've taken care of older ones. Do what you desire. I really don't care. And yes there are different types of tempering.
I suppose you don't believe in letting an engine warm up before dropping the hammer on it also. Well, have a good life

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:49 PM
Just curious...what's the speed rating on your tires?

Old 06-05-2010 | 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Just curious...what's the speed rating on your tires?
If he has the 18" Wranglers it's 112 mph. The 20" Pirellis I think are 118 mph.

Old 06-05-2010 | 12:59 AM
If you believe an engine is broken in at 600 miles, that's cool. I don't get in pissing matches. But I do know if you run yours that way , your engine will never last out its life expectancy.
I have a 14 year old engine, and something tells me yours would never last that long. Believe what you will. I've been around engines all my life. I've ru the crap out of new ones, and I've taken care of older ones. Do what you desire. I really don't care. And yes there are different types of tempering.
I suppose you don't believe in letting an engine warm up before dropping the hammer on it also. Well, have a good life
Talk about "pissing matches". I never said anything about an engine being broken in at 600 miles, never talked about not warming up an engine before "dropping the hammer" and you have no idea the age of any of my vehicles. I only responded to your assertion that an engine needed to be "tempered" during break-in and your statement that the first oil change on out F150's (this is F150 Online) is at an earlier interval. Whereas I know that some racers prefer to use "seasoned" engine blocks and some high performance street cars still call for their first service around the 2,000 kilometer mark our F150 motors do not need any special procedure to season ("temper?") the engine and they do not call for an early first service.

Old 06-05-2010 | 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Talk about "pissing matches". I never said anything about an engine being broken in at 600 miles, never talked about not warming up an engine before "dropping the hammer" and you have no idea the age of any of my vehicles. I only responded to your assertion that an engine needed to be "tempered" during break-in and your statement that the first oil change on out F150's (this is F150 Online) is at an earlier interval. Whereas I know that some racers prefer to use "seasoned" engine blocks and some high performance street cars still call for their first service around the 2,000 kilometer mark our F150 motors do not need any special procedure to season ("temper?") the engine and they do not call for an early first service.
Engine valves and rings may be broken in earlier, but the rear end and trans need more time to "temper" still. That's why the manual says not to tow within the first 1000 miles. Going faster than about 60-65 is not a good idea either. It can and most likely will cause premature failure.

Old 06-05-2010 | 10:57 AM
|
Well Im glad where not at a shooting range , bar or face to face when i bring up this subject . You guys are getting your panties in a bunch . It was just a question .

Old 06-05-2010 | 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by not you
Well Im glad where not at a shooting range , bar or face to face when i bring up this subject . You guys are getting your panties in a bunch . It was just a question .
Everyday event around here. So I chose the wrong word, somebody gets all fired up. Daily event here.

But I open mine up occasionally too. Sometimes even an old man has a need for speed
If that bothers anyone, I do have Hankook tires instead of factory. But I'm sure they're not rated well enough either

Old 06-05-2010 | 12:27 PM
The problem with high speeds in a truck like the F150 are the laws of physics.

Old 06-05-2010 | 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
Engine valves and rings may be broken in earlier, but the rear end and trans need more time to "temper" still. That's why the manual says not to tow within the first 1000 miles. Going faster than about 60-65 is not a good idea either. It can and most likely will cause premature failure.
With all due respect please define what you mean by "temper". When I hear the word temper when used in the context of things made of metal alloys I think of applying very high temperatures to toughen the metal. There is no way you could ever get a transmission or differential hot enough to temper it or any part in it under normal or even abnormal driving conditions. Whereas I agree that rings break-in relatively early I see little need to worry about valve break-in as they are cut and then lapped to the same angles as the valve seat they will seal in at the factory and the valve stem is many times harder than the relatively soft valve guide it will travel in. As for not towing, the factory does not want you to generate too much heat in the transmission and differential which can damage the gears. More load equals more heat generated. As for not going over 60-65, my F150 is looping along at a sedate 1,500 rpm at 60. I don't see how keeping up with other traffic on the freeway is going to cause any problems.

Quick Reply: Have a issue with speed