2009 - 2014 F-150

Have a issue with speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love how you ask a question & people are completely off topic... he asked simply how fast this truck can go not what happens to the engine if it isnt broken in properly.. o & just to clear up what i said in an earlier post im not trying to race the truck i just like to mess with the ricers on occasion. if the grandpas don't like it then so be it.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by foxracer2759
i love how you ask a question & people are completely off topic... he asked simply how fast this truck can go not what happens to the engine if it isnt broken in properly.. o & just to clear up what i said in an earlier post im not trying to race the truck i just like to mess with the ricers on occasion. if the grandpas don't like it then so be it.
Guilty as charged, please accept my sincere apologies.

As to the topic at hand. I am not overly bothered by the speed limiter as I don't see myself needing high speed in my F150 (my 2007 X51 power kit equipped 997S Porsche covers my need for speed) but than again I don't like being restricted by some bean counter, attorney or bureaucrat. As previously mentioned my guess is the limiter is there to limit speed due to tire speed ratings; lower speed rated tires cost less.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by GTXKen
To each his or her own, I for one don't need to do over 90 in mine.

I challenge the comment about break in..

The motor is broken in after the first 20 minutes of operation or so, the rings and bearings are seated and you are done. Race motors are built, run for 20 minutes, then tuned on a dyno, run at 7 to 10 grand and then their next step is the track. A modern truck motor is precision built (not like the old days - sorry guys but back in the day most stock motors were sloppy crap) and does not require an extended brak in period. Wear is a different story, the engine will wear faster at high RPM, greater stress on parts when they move faster, the pistons are moving so fast in the cylinder that rods, bolts bearings and even the crank get stressed. What that limit is I don't know but apparently Ford decided what was optimal for the life of the motor they built or maybe it was for safety/legal reasons, who knows. I say if you want to go faster and maybe do so damage its your call and your dime.
Well Ken I have to respectfully disagree with you. I have built and rebuilt engines all of my life, mostly Harley Davidson engines. I know its air cooled and a whole different breed, but you still have to keep in mind that you have a lot of newly fabricated steel trying to beat itself up during break-in.

Yes, race motors might be dynoed after a short period of time. But race motors are also hand built to exacting specifications with polished main bearings and balanced pistons, connecting rods and cranks. A production motor, although built to newer, higher computer dimensions and tolerances still needs a minimal break-in period. These new virgin parts are in effect polishing themselves during break-in.

I love to put the hammer down as much as the next person, responsibly of course. But something else no one has seemed to address yet is braking and or stopping power. Although our trucks are equipped with excellent brakes, it’s hard to stop 3 ½ + tons of vehicle on a dime. I think Ford has made a responsible decision with the limiter. If you really feel you need the extra mph, get the programmer. It’s all about personal choice right?

Bob

Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
my guess is the limiter is there to limit speed due to tire speed ratings; lower speed rated tires cost less.
Not necessarily - they are chosen for lowest rolling resistance in order to squeeze out the last .01 mpg on the EPA drive cycle. They are also chosen for ride comfort and long wear.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Pugnacious
With all due respect please define what you mean by "temper". When I hear the word temper when used in the context of things made of metal alloys I think of applying very high temperatures to toughen the metal. There is no way you could ever get a transmission or differential hot enough to temper it or any part in it under normal or even abnormal driving conditions. Whereas I agree that rings break-in relatively early I see little need to worry about valve break-in as they are cut and then lapped to the same angles as the valve seat they will seal in at the factory and the valve stem is many times harder than the relatively soft valve guide it will travel in. As for not towing, the factory does not want you to generate too much heat in the transmission and differential which can damage the gears. More load equals more heat generated. As for not going over 60-65, my F150 is looping along at a sedate 1,500 rpm at 60. I don't see how keeping up with other traffic on the freeway is going to cause any problems.
I used the term "temper" to reference the process of heating and cooling the rear end and trans... I only used the term because a few previous posters had already coined the term to mean this process... Next time read the entire thread.... I know you are not truly tempering the steel, but you are heating and cooling it down (if you are breaking the items in properly). This is probably why the previous posters began to call it "tempering".

Old 06-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
I used the term "temper" to reference the process of heating and cooling the rear end and trans... I only used the term because a few previous posters had already coined the term to mean this process... Next time read the entire thread.... I know you are not truly tempering the steel, but you are heating and cooling it down (if you are breaking the items in properly). This is probably why the previous posters began to call it "tempering".
I guess my definition of "tempering" was too narrow for many on this forum. I was using the term in its relationship to the hardening of metal alloys by heating it to very high temperatures, well beyond those found in the daily operation of our vehicles.

What is accomplished by heating and cooling the transmission and rear end and is therefore a requisite to proper break-in? What do heat cycles do to complete break-in of the transmission and rear end? Please supply substantiation and not anecdotal evidence.

I did read the entire thread, did you?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I guess my definition of "tempering" was too narrow for many on this forum. I was using the term in its relationship to the hardening of metal alloys by heating it to very high temperatures, well beyond those found in the daily operation of our vehicles.

What is accomplished by heating and cooling the transmission and rear end and is therefore a requisite to proper break-in? What do heat cycles do to complete break-in of the transmission and rear end? Please supply substantiation and not anecdotal evidence.

I did read the entire thread, did you?
Here you go http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx#37

Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
The link addresses guarding against overheating, not heating and cooling cycles.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The link addresses guarding against overheating, not heating and cooling cycles.
OK Pugie, since you insist on arguing this point(and I really do hate pissing contests) Here is a link for you. It is a repost on this site, but it shows what takes place inside a cylinder. Keep in mind, you have a fuel air mixture in there, that is compressed several atmospheres.(that equals more intense heat, like a bellows in a foundry). Plus you have water circulating through the engine keeping it cool. Does that help in any way for you to understand why it can be referred to as tempering?

You will have to scroll down just a little bit to see the video.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/fourstrok...?autoplay=true

Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba
OK Pugie, since you insist on arguing this point(and I really do hate pissing contests) Here is a link for you. It is a repost on this site, but it shows what takes place inside a cylinder. Keep in mind, you have a fuel air mixture in there, that is compressed several atmospheres.(that equals more intense heat, like a bellows in a foundry). Plus you have water circulating through the engine keeping it cool. Does that help in any way for you to understand why it can be referred to as tempering?

The discussion currently was about heating and cooling cycles of transmissions and rear ends and the supplied link only referenced overheating a rear end and now you throw back in the internal combustion engine. Any "tempering" that needs to be done to any component of the engine was done during the manufacturing process of the engine. Besides, we aren't making swords here Buckwheat. Try to keep up.

Last edited by Pugnacious; 06-06-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba

Cool post Tumba. You might as well drop it, some people either, don't get it, or won't admit it. Either way, why bother!

Bob

Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM
So hows the weather out there

Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM
The people who need to know why they are limited need to try an emergency maneuver at speed. I had to the other day and it was not so good.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
And some folks can't handle that at 50 mph. Do we adjust the limiter based on driving ability?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Pugnacious, kudos to you for being one of the few logical voices in the wilderness. It seems when you ask for evidence of some of these claims, people just get pissy and change the subject.

Quick Reply: Have a issue with speed