2009 - 2014 F-150

Have a issue with speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:44 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a issue with speed

Bought a 2010 FX4 super crew has about 800 miles . I went into the master key set up on dash and changed the speed limit but it still only does 97ish . The truck falls on its face . I had a 2008 and it never did that . Is there anything i can do other than buying a programmer . Will it go faster when the truck breaks in . It not like its over reving its about 3000 rpms at 90 .I dont even think its that much .Thanks for the input on this issue Im having .

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:51 PM
No. That limiter is there for a reason.

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Nope sorry. It is set by Ford. Only way is a programer. I have the same issue as does everyone else. It sucks.

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:19 PM
Why do you need to go faster? Do you enjoy: dying; paying tickets; higher insurance; shortening the life of the truck?

Makes no sense to me.

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Real Sniper
Why do you need to go faster? Do you enjoy:

dying; Speed doesn't necessarily mean dying
paying tickets; That's why you don't get caught
higher insurance; Don't pay higher insurance since I don't get caught.
shortening the life of the truck? Can you explain how going fast will shorten the life of my truck? I had an '86 Ford Tempo with over 200k miles and drove it over 100 mph's a lot of times. Dont think it shortened the life if it.

Makes no sense to me. Some of us just like to go fast.
See above in Bold

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:40 PM
Gir
I have an issue too- slow pokes on the 1604.

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:41 PM
So why did you buy a truck?

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by KazK
So why did you buy a truck?
LOL. Where is it written that trucks=slow? I love my truck and wouldn't trade it. These trucks are more than capable of going faster I and it seems lots of other members would like to unleash that speed. That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Gir
I have an issue too- slow pokes on the 1604.
Are you from San Antonio? I used to live there.

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:22 AM
i didn't know since we had trucks we weren't allowed to go fast... some people like to push it to the limit some like to take it easy. i don't understand why NOT. people drive that speed on the autobahn all day long.... ive messed around with many ricers on the high way & blown them away, then i get to 95 & i cant go faster & they blow by me... very humiliating. i read a post on here where a guy told his ford dealer " listen i cant have these chebies beating me", & the dealer was like no problem & took the limiter off & i think he got up to like 120 or so

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:40 AM
Just plain dumb in a truck, but you should also not be trying to find the top end of your truck's limits with only 800 miles on it. You are still in the break in period... And 3000 RPMs is not bad, no, but you are breaking in more than the motor... The rear end and trans are breaking in too. They need to be heated and cooled appropriately for about a thousand miles to allow them to break in properly. To each his own. But god help you if you cause an accident because of your reckless speeding. "It won't happen to me!" right?

Old 06-04-2010 | 07:19 AM
Gir
Originally Posted by tbraquet
Are you from San Antonio? I used to live there.
Affirmativo, although not much longer. But I do like TX.

Old 06-04-2010 | 08:05 AM
Trucks really weren't designed to go fast. Aerodynamically they suck. They are top heavy, since they sit higher. They allow too much air flow under the vehicle. In todays highly litigious society it makes sense that Ford would place a limiter on their trucks. If Ford did not place the limiter on the truck, some dumb **** is going to see how fast their truck can go and get themselves or someone else killed or worse. The entity being sued is going to be Ford for not having the foresight to place a speed limiter on a vehicle that is not primarily designed to go fast. If it were a sport truck that was designed more for speed then that is one thing, but Ford really hasn't put anything out like that for several years.

Old 06-04-2010 | 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
Just plain dumb in a truck, but you should also not be trying to find the top end of your truck's limits with only 800 miles on it. You are still in the break in period... And 3000 RPMs is not bad, no, but you are breaking in more than the motor... The rear end and trans are breaking in too. They need to be heated and cooled appropriately for about a thousand miles to allow them to break in properly. To each his own. But god help you if you cause an accident because of your reckless speeding. "It won't happen to me!" right?
I don't get it either. But 3000 rpm is not bad, but, with each revolution of the engine there are four fires (at 3k, that is 1500 fires per minute, just for perspective) built and burned out under tremendous pressure. With each one of those fires the gasses are already compressed to at least 130-Hg . That's allot of pressure. But when the spark plug ignites the mixture you have multiplied that pressure to a number I'm not even sure of(maybe someone can help me out there) but every bit of that expanding gas and heat is trying to get past the rings and valves in that engine.

You are right about it needing to be broken in right. The metal has to wear the sealing surfaces together, and be tempered over time by the heat.
His 100 mile per hour truck will be a great parts buy for some one someday that don't need and engine or transmission

Old 06-04-2010 | 08:13 AM
imo it's not really the speed that jacks up the truck it's hard accel and hard stops.

Quick Reply: Have a issue with speed