2009 - 2014 F-150

Painting stock 20" FX4 rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting stock 20" FX4 rims

Has anyone done it yet? I can't find anything.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I might get mine powder coated eventually, not sure what color yet. Possibly gunmetal to hide some of the brake dust.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...-img-0747.html

this guy did it to his '07's and i likey....

Re: powder coat on stockers?
Hey Jeff,
Yes this 20" set i have on in the pics are the original set when i bought the truck used. They were in bad shape i didn't know what to do with them. I bought a set of FX2 18" take offs to run in the winter and thought they looked so much better then the 20" condition on the truck. So one day i was screwing around with the 20", taped all the high spots, and sanded just the bright silver paint. Then bought a can of Graphite Metallic wheel paint and started spraying. Looked pretty good i thought, but i didn't think they would wear well. So took them to a rim restore place up here in Ontario and got them to machine and paint and clear coat them. They turned out great. I wanted to show some depth that's why i choose Graphite, everyone said no paint them black. Black rims have you forever dressing your tires to match the gloss of a black rim, when your tires start aging and fading some, your rims tend to look over bearing i think anyway. The rim restore cost me $125 a rim, $500 cash i thought it was about $150 to much, but looking at them now i can easily sell the set fot $1,200 w/tires now if i needed to. Look at any 06-08 FX2 18" rim and you will see the color i did. Hope any of this helps you out. I have pics on here in my profile of all my rims. Take care Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinFX4
Hey man,
Saw your "summer cruisin" pictures and noticed you have your wheels painted or powdercoated? what did you have done? do it yourself? cost? i have the same wheels on my 09 and was looking to do something similar with mine for my winter set...thanks!
jeff
Forward Message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
20" OEM 6 spoke wheels 2010 f150

I got a couple of cans of Rustoleum wheel paint. I got the metallic gunmetal grey and the clear coat cans. I am currently installing Slate tiles in my backyard; once I get done with that project ill paint my wheels, I will be painting a set of OEM 20” 6 spoke wheels.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=375
http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=376

Old 06-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by seravilo
I got a couple of cans of Rustoleum wheel paint. I got the metallic gunmetal grey and the clear coat cans. I am currently installing Slate tiles in my backyard; once I get done with that project ill paint my wheels, I will be painting a set of OEM 20” 6 spoke wheels.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=375
http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=376
Looking forward to seeing the end product!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
What was the end product?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...-img-0747.html

this guy did it to his '07's and i likey....

Re: powder coat on stockers?
Hey Jeff,
Yes this 20" set i have on in the pics are the original set when i bought the truck used. They were in bad shape i didn't know what to do with them. I bought a set of FX2 18" take offs to run in the winter and thought they looked so much better then the 20" condition on the truck. So one day i was screwing around with the 20", taped all the high spots, and sanded just the bright silver paint. Then bought a can of Graphite Metallic wheel paint and started spraying. Looked pretty good i thought, but i didn't think they would wear well. So took them to a rim restore place up here in Ontario and got them to machine and paint and clear coat them. They turned out great. I wanted to show some depth that's why i choose Graphite, everyone said no paint them black. Black rims have you forever dressing your tires to match the gloss of a black rim, when your tires start aging and fading some, your rims tend to look over bearing i think anyway. The rim restore cost me $125 a rim, $500 cash i thought it was about $150 to much, but looking at them now i can easily sell the set fot $1,200 w/tires now if i needed to. Look at any 06-08 FX2 18" rim and you will see the color i did. Hope any of this helps you out. I have pics on here in my profile of all my rims. Take care Al

Quote:
Hey man,
Saw your "summer cruisin" pictures and noticed you have your wheels painted or powdercoated? what did you have done? do it yourself? cost? i have the same wheels on my 09 and was looking to do something similar with mine for my winter set...thanks!
jeff
Forward Message
Hey wisconsinFX4 - how do you like the tire/wheel setup so far. thats the exact setup im looking to do. Do the tires rub? I dont plan on adding a level anytime soon. Also did the bigger tire throw off the TC or RSC.

thanks - truck looks sweet with the wheels

Quick Reply: Painting stock 20" FX4 rims