2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone add puddle lamps to 2010 XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone add puddle lamps to 2010 XLT?

Underneath the mirrors, the area where puddle lamps go is capped. THe caps are removable. I assume I would have to run wires to them. Anyone ad LEDS to these? What wires do you tap into and what LEDS are people using?

Found a post but it's filled with 2008 posts. Nothing new concerning the 2010s

I know the puddle lamps come on the 2010 platinum. Anyone want to pop off the lamp and tell me the wire colors?....and maybe the part numbers.

Last edited by delirious; 06-20-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by delirious
Underneath the mirrors, the area where puddle lamps go is capped. THe caps are removable. I assume I would have to run wires to them. Anyone ad LEDS to these? What wires do you tap into and what LEDS are people using?

Found a post but it's filled with 2008 posts. Nothing new concerning the 2010s

I know the puddle lamps come on the 2010 platinum. Anyone want to pop off the lamp and tell me the wire colors?....and maybe the part numbers.
Can you post a picture of the puddle lamp area on your mirrors? The way to get the lamps out of 04-08 mirrors is pretty obvious, but I've never studied the mirrors on the 09+ models.

In the case of 04-08s, the lamp is in a capsule, and you have to cut the capsule apart with something like a razor saw once you get the capsule out of the mirror. The lamp itself is just a 30-31mm festoon lamp.

If your mirrors did not come with the lamps, you'd need to get the capsules, and, if there's no wiring there, you'd need to add that.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I don't own a 2010! (Wish I did though).

- Jack

Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I figured I would have to run the wires as the wires under this cap go to the LED blinker. I am putting in some front door speakers soon and may just run a wire from the front dome light over to the mirror on each side. What I am wondering is, if the wiring is allready there or at least up to the plug in to the mirror. If anyone can pop theirs out on a 2010 platinum and tell me the color of the wires, that would help.

here you go and thanks:

Wonder if the capsule part number of 3F1z-13B375-AA is still good for the 2010s

Last edited by delirious; 06-21-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 AM
I was able to verify with the dealer that those lamps and the part number 3F1Z-13B375-AA are the same up to the present and they pop right in. I ordered two. Where can I find the LED bulbs to replace them. The 30-31mm festoon lamp?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Hopefully you will get an answer sooner, but I'm out of town for a few days, but when I get back, I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 AM
i would be interested too. please post up if and how you get them done.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks
i would be interested too. please post up if and how you get them done.
Sure will. I ordered the 31 mm festoon type from superleds and they shipped them the same day. I am putting in new speakers this weekend and will run the wiring for the puddle at the same time. I may be able to do this without taking the mirror off as a few of the panels pop off and you can pry the casing apart to see where the wiring goes.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
you know what would be cool is if you could find an led bulb in the color of your truck. for me that would be the blue flame. i think it would be cool to have blue led's shining down for an accent.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks
you know what would be cool is if you could find an led bulb in the color of your truck. for me that would be the blue flame. i think it would be cool to have blue led's shining down for an accent.
They have them. Knock yourself out.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Ffestoon.html

8~30VDC
Available with Warm White Cool White Blue Red Amber LEDs
These are our brightest festoon bulbs

My truck is black BTW

Last edited by delirious; 06-23-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by delirious
They have them. Knock yourself out.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Ffestoon.html

8~30VDC
Available with Warm White Cool White Blue Red Amber LEDs
These are our brightest festoon bulbs

My truck is black BTW
cool, thanks!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
A little update. Poped of the door panels today and put in new front speakers. While I had them off I uplugged the mirrors and tested the purple(violet on electrical schematics) wire at the mirror harness. It was the overhead light/ puddle lamps. I tapped into the wire there and after removing the mirrors, I ran them up to the puddle aperature. Essentially, you have to remove the mirrors, remove the mirror itself. Take the 4 torx screws out and take off the back of the mirror. You then can run the additional wire. I have LED blinks on my mirrors, so I will tap into the black wire there for a ground.

I have the puddle lights coming monday and after taking them apart and putting LEDS in, I am good to go. Today, it took me literally 20 minutes per side to install the speakers, take the mirrors off and run this wire.

Last edited by delirious; 06-23-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 PM
You're taking pictures to illustrate the procedure for us "visual learners," I hope???

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.f150forum.com/f33/how-ins...linkers-42336/

Not sure I can post this but here's a link with pictures.

Essentially follow this guide to take the door panel off. Taking the mirror off is essentially three nuts. Take the mirror apart as the pictures shows in the link and run a wire as he did for his LEDS and puddle lights through the mirror base into the the metal cylinder that the mirror pivots on and around to where the operature for the puddle lights go as I posted above. I may take some picture of the puddle light LED modification. I purchased a dremel saw wheel for plastic tonight and will give it a go on Monday.

Last edited by delirious; 06-23-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Glad you got it. Sorry I didn't get back to you in time delirious, it has been one heck of a week, and I am still on the road traveling.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Update

Enclosed housing

Used a carver to score the black plastic around the clear piece

Put in the new LED The clear plastic piece popped off and had enough rim on it to allow it to go back together

Put RTV around the edges and clamped it to dry

These just pop right into the round aperatures under the mirror. I tapped in to the black wire for the LED blinkers and ran the wires from the mirror harness (purple wire on the 2010s) into the mirror and out the aperature. I tested both lamps before sealing them. I now have LED puddle lamps

Quick Reply: Anyone add puddle lamps to 2010 XLT?