2009 - 2014 F-150

Tail gate step - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail gate step - any thoughts?

Seem's like every FX4 I'm looking at has the rear tail gate step that I don't need or want. I think it's the plastic surface to the inside of the tail gate which bugs me. Any thoughts on it or I'm I just being picky.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 PM
you can just take off the pole and put on the regular tailgate panel on the inside, it's been posted several times before on here...

Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
When looking for my truck, I didn't want or think I needed the tailgate step either. The covering was what bothered me mainly. However, I found the perfect truck that had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't, with the exception that it had the tailgate step. First time I actually tried it out, I started to change my mind a little bit and realized it could be very useful. The covering still bothered me, though. Couple weeks later, I was completely converted. Absolutely love the step, and I like the covering/handle now, too. Don't let a tailgate step deter you from buying the truck you want, and if you end up buying a truck that has it, give it a few weeks to test it out. If you still don't like the covering/handle, then like Steve said you can get the panel to put on it and take off the covering/handle.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 AM
CD1
I was in the same boat as you. I had no desire or need for the step but it was on a truck that was ready to go.

Several months later it has proven it's usefullness. Get it and don't look back.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Guys at work made fun of me, and at first I really didn't like the look. Now, I love it, and the guys at work want one on their trucks. It's really helpful when loading the bed. I don't really use the handle much, but I'm glad it's there.

Nice being able to easily to step up into the bed with a full arm load of firewood too.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 AM
I absolutely love mine. When you get past that 60 mark you begin to appreciate things like that ha ha. I added a BedRug to mine and they have a molded carpet piece that covers that ugly plastic cover.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm in the opposite boat as I wanted a tailgate step but the truck I found and bought didn't have one, now the regret is setting in.

I don'w want to change this topic just a question for Grunthunter. Is that an OEM Trifold hard cover in that pic?

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have it. Love it. Wish Ford had this 30 years ago when I bought my first pickup. Will not buy another without it.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Same story here. Didn't want it, didn't think I'd need it. Thats for old guys. Yes, it looks strange if you have never had one before.

Shortly after purchase, I realized that I am an old guy. I used it the first time that I had to load stuff in the bed. Now I love it. I'll never have another truck without one.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I do like having the step, however I hated the handle and all the plastic. I ordered the panel for $65 took it all off. I do use the step once in a while, but could I live without it, sure.

Quick Reply: Tail gate step - any thoughts?