2009 - 2014 F-150

1st Parking Lot Dent....Opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st Parking Lot Dent....Opinions Please!

It was bound to happen.......no matter how carefull i am to park away from others........some people dont give a Rats A$%

Trixy has only 6600 kms or about 3500 miles and perhaps the first dent always hurts the most but I need some opinions on what to do?

Live with it.......or fix it?

Now in all my years working at Ford as a Heavy Truck Tech and the occasional stroll thru the body shop. Body work requires a certain Niche that Ive never been able to figure out?.

Ive got the Razr Red or Candy Tri coat paint and Ford told me that they could do a spot repair and try and blend in the paint for $250. They also said to do a proper job the entire door should be painted for much more and it would be best just to pay my $200 deduct and fix it.
In a perfect world I would have a chrome trim acc to hide it with and I am concerned as the factory paint is always the best paint and dont want the entire door repainted.?

What to do?

Pics under OUCH in my albums........still tryin to figure out how to post

Thanks Everyone!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live with it. You're bound to smash up more than just what you'd get in a parking lot.

Next time you haul a load of gravel or something, your tailgate will look 10 times worse than that

I had over $2000 damage first month of my most recent SD. 6x6 hay bale rolled off the bed, across the cab, and down over the side of the hood. Wrinkled the cab, hood, fender, and took the PS mirror off.

Took less than a week for my first this year. I think I'm doing pretty good considering...

Last edited by CharlieHo; 06-26-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You could always get one of those Woddy Woodpecker smoking a cigar stickers and put it over the dent.

But seriously if it bothers you that much then get it fixed, just remember there will be more to come.

Might want to see if one of those paintless dent repair guys can fix it first, then you don't have to mess with the paint.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:33 AM
doesn't look to bad... I got my first one a couple months ago at my apartment building.. I have no dents besides that one.. and you betcha the sun makes it clearly visible!

I would want to get it fixed as well, but it may happen again!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Dents unlimited

I had the guys look at it at a dentless repair place.....first problem is that its right where the skin folds over the door and appears to have metal stretch....

said he would try but no guarantees?.........Ive seen it done before and the jury is still out in my mind about that process?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I would talk to a paintless dent repair place first. They pulled a dent out of my front fender that was about 10" across and crossed the crease in a body line. The dent was from a garbage can that has had it out for me until I killed it.

He walked past the truck one day at a gas station while I was sitting in it. He saw the dent and offered to pull it out for free. I let him have a go at it. He walked over to his truck, grabbed a suction cup and popped it right out. He gave me his card and said to come by some time and he'd fix the rest for cheap.

I went by and 15 minutes later he had smoothed out the fender to about 99% of what it originally was and popped out a couple more in my doors from careless people.

Here's a pic of the smaller ones on the doors that he pulled out.
Passenger's Door Before:

Passenger's Door After:

Driver's Door Before(You can sort of see the distortion in the reflection under the middle of the handle):

Driver's Door After:

Now for the bad part.

Front fender before:

After the main dent was pulled at the gas station:

After he finished at his shop:

Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 AM
I would also live with it and wait until the day have more to fix. Although it doesn't help, no one but you is going to notice it. I would (and will) feel as bad as you.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 AM
paintless

He said he couldnt get in behind it to use his spoons to tap it out....?

additional pic

Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That looks pretty good. If you don't mind what did it set you back?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Too bad i didnt catch them in the act....probably some SMOW... Acronym for "Single Mother on Welfare" with her 4 teenage kids and the 1974 LTD Wagon who smacked me.

I would went "Joe Peschi" on them!

OK......I vented....Im feeling much better now!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 AM
I got my first dent. very small, shallow. tailgate on the right of the handle. sucks I only have 1000 miles on it. its black so it shows.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Yea, they use a long rod with a bent flat tip to push the dents out from inside the door. For my drivers side he was able to get the rod down through the window seals with the window open. On the passengers side he drilled a small hole after asking me because of the massive number of support braces in the truck doors. He showed me how he was going to seal it so I let him do it. It looks like just another factory plug with the way he did it.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 AM
Any know where to buy Vehicle specific color matched body moulding on the web?....Im gonna at least try and protect against any further damage if i can?

please post links

thanx

Old 06-26-2010, 04:38 PM
ajaj,

I know the frustration. You may remember my post about my new Lariat Screw getting side swiped in a parking lot by someone who drove off. $2K later OUT OF MY POCKET, she is as good as new. Man I was mad. Still am. The other day, I was sitting in my Mustang after breakfast and some redneck in his POS Chevy pickup opened his door into me as I was sitting in the car! He just looked at me. So, I got out and promply shook his hand and thanked him. He looked at me like I was crazy, maybe I was. I know a few tricks and really thought about breaking his wrist in a split second when I hand his hand gripped. I think he knew I wasn't being nice. I decided it wasnt' worth the consequences. Maybe next time.

Quick Reply: 1st Parking Lot Dent....Opinions Please!