2009 - 2014 F-150

Side-By-Side Comparison of BakFlip vs Solid Fold w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Side-By-Side Comparison of BakFlip vs Solid Fold w/ Pics

So everyone has their preference of which hard tonneau is best. I've gotten to test two of the most popular out head-to-head and wanted to share my experiences. Here's a quick snap-shot of the BakFlip vs the Extang Solid Fold ... just one guy's opinion.

Open & Close (BakFlip Wins):
--BakFlip opens and closes with a quick pull of a latch from either side of the truck. Panels are lightweight and fold up with ease. Once open, you can either lock it down with the locking arms (fully open) or use the d-rings attached to a bungee to leave open in a partial-open position. In the closed position, just simply drop or push the panels downward and they auto-lock in to place. Careful, if you fold the cover back against the D-ring you will ding your cover though. Make sure they are flat when folding.
Its also noteworthy that the BakFlip can be driven with any combination of the panels open.

--Solid Fold must be unlocked from both sides before you can fold up. When opened all the way, it has fasteners that simply snap it down quickly. You can't use it in a 1-panel-open position. To get access to 100% of the bed you have to remove it (simple enough to do but it takes more time than the few seconds it takes on the BakFlip). It can also be used in a "partial" open position (which they call fully open because to get it further open you take it off). See here...

Sturdy (Solid Fold Wins):
While the BakFlip is sturdy enough, the Solid Fold is much tougher and holds considerable more weight on top of it (see weight specs in next section). If you're out tailgating or watching the fireworks, the entire family could sit on top of the cover if you wanted. This is because the Solid Fold sits on top of your rails rather than inside them. And the panels themselves are much stronger.

Top Load Weight Limit (Solid Fold Wins):
Evenly distributed weight:
-- BakFlip G2 model will hold 300 lbs.
-- BakFlip HD or F1 will hold 400 lbs.
-- Solid Fold model will hold 700 lbs.

Security (Solid Fold Wins):
Yes, both units are secure but give me a hanger and I'll break in to any BakFlip by just lifting the corner near the bed and reaching for the release wire. Probably not practical but a thief could do it in seconds, see the location here:

Without pulling down the tailgate, nothing is opening the Solid Fold. The latches that hold it down are spring loaded which makes them way tougher than the release wire used by BakFlip.

This is a double-edged sword though. The quick action on the BakFlip makes it easier to open from either side of the bed vs visiting both sides of the bed to release the spring loaded mechanisms on the Solid Fold. I actually prefer the quick action of the BakFlip (which is why it won the first category above) but technically, the Solid Fold is more secure. But as with anything else, if someone really wants in, they'll figure a way to get in.

Day-to-Day Functionality (Solid Fold Wins):
The Solid Fold lets you close your tailgate while the cover is already in the down position (more below).

Plus, you can get the these add-on tie down cleats that allow you to put the tie down(s) almost anywhere along your bed rails. (You can see below that there is a pair of them towards the tailgate on my truck). You can even leave them put if you have no reason to move them because they fit under the cover.

Alternatively though ... if you have the bed cap with stake pockets, BakFlip retains access to those whereas the Solid Fold would cover them. Extang won this category because their cleats can move to where you need them and because they can be used under the cover. (If I had a picture of the BakFlip and pocket stakes together I would put it here). If you use those stake pockets more than cleats on the inside, you'll probably prefer the BakFlip in this category. Its noteworthy though that we had a few discussions that several models of the F150 removed access to the stake pockets with the new bad caps. You can see in my pics (see the security section) that I can't access mine either way.

Pay Load Functionality (Tie):
The BakFlip is pretty nice to be on-the-go and open the cover all the way, then close it all the way, even if you weren't expecting to need full access to the bed. And if you do need access to the whole bed you don't have to worry about throwing the cover in with your load. However, I found it bothersome to have the back window covered. If you're hauling something that could damage your rear window then you'll appreciate that added protection. Its all a matter of how often do you really carry something that you're worried is going to fly through the rear window?

Pricing (Solid Fold is Less Expensive): (prices good for the time of the review)
Assuming you have a 5 1/2 ft bed:
If you look around, you'll find the BakFlip G2 model for about $650 and the BakFlip HD for about $900. I got my G2 for $675. There are two additional models which are even more expensive.
If you search for the Extang Solid Fold you'll find it as low as $610. There's only one model.

Real World Experience (Bottom Line):
By a long shot, I use the bed of my truck for daily family activities vs heavy duty or large things. I want to be able to close my tailgate after grabbing those last bags of groceries, or when I've grabbed the last bag of mulch, or when I'm talking on the phone and have a drink in my hand (or basically anything taking up both hands at once). The BakFlip requires you to free up a hand so you can grab the release string, then open the cover, then close your tailgate, then close your cover. Its a total inconvenience that you take for granted until you're unable to simply shut the tailgate with your arm loaded with bags (or whatever).

What's more? Depending on what you're hauling you might not appreciate how nice it is to see out your back window to see if your tube has blown away, your bikes have shifted or that large item is getting ready to tip over. ...unless you're carrying something that might fly through the back window.

I guess it comes down to how you plan to use the bed of your truck. Large and bulky payloads more frequently = BakFlip. More family friendly daily use = Solid Fold.

There are probably a dozen other pros and cons for each unit. I wrote this to hopefully help the next guy trying to decide which unit might be best for him. These two seem to offer the best of features and function within the hard, folding tonneau category. I hope the review is useful, but its a clear choice for the Extang Solid Fold for me.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice write up...i just wanted to add two things..Ive got the Bakflip f1 on a 6.5ft bed and got it for 675 i believe (including shipping). and because i got the 6.5ft bed it has 4 panels giving more weight capacity on top when folded up (The only thing thats been beneficial was having the hooters girls pose on top of it) But remember to distriute that weight, i think backflip says 100pounds per panel.

And lastly i agree having to open the bakflip to shut it is a pain (And sucks even more when friends or family try to shut it without lifting it up). But it wouldnt sway my pic one way or another. To me if im going to get a cover that folds so i can use as much as my bed as i can i would get the one that alows me to do that.

But again, nice write up...didnt know too much about the solid fold till now.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
rok
Wow thanks for the write-up. i was for sure going to get the G2 but will be looking at the solid fold now too

Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 PM
rok
Edit

Last edited by rok; 08-11-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Sharper4, excellent write up. Are they both equally water tight?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Leaks seem to be hit or miss no matter what cover you buy. I don't have any leaks with my Bakflip HD and it's almost 19 months old now.

I know the original poster had issues with his Bakflip and had a hard time with BAK in getting a replacement and finally gave up. But some even have problems with their Extang Solid Fold too. Check out what member "macs07" who posted in this thread, says he's been through 4 different Extangs himself, all had problems! https://www.f150online.com/forums/be...ng-encore.html

Old 09-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Red'10Lariat
Sharper4, excellent write up. Are they both equally water tight?
If you want a truly water tight cover, you should go with a one piece design.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM

I just noticed today that my Bakflip F1 (with the best seals) is leaking on the last pivot point next to the cab. I've had the bakflip a little less than a year and it never really leaked until i noticed this. Its been raining around here non stop and its not completly soaked under the cover but is wet, enough were It ticks me off.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
BMacktastic
Smile Extang Solid Fold

Just bought the Extang Solid Fold and installed it on my '04 Supercab today. Looks great! Bought it for $610 via the Interwebs. Had some shipping damages with the first one that was delivered but they took care of me and shipped another right away. My tailgate lock was seized but a little PB Blaster broke it loose in ten minutes. Can't wait to throw the ice shanty in the back and have some fun this winter.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Am I correct that the Solid Fold does not require any parts to be permanently attached to your truck? You just arrange it on the bed rails, screw clamp down the front, fold it out and spring clamp down the back?

The Bakflip has rails that have to be mounted on the inside rail of your truck bed?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by OneBrightGator
Am I correct that the Solid Fold does not require any parts to be permanently attached to your truck? You just arrange it on the bed rails, screw clamp down the front, fold it out and spring clamp down the back?

The Bakflip has rails that have to be mounted on the inside rail of your truck bed?
You're right. In about 30 seconds the entire thing can be lifted off the vehicle. I don't know why the front clamps screw down vs use those tension rods (I'm sure there is a safety reason for it) but the whole removal is done super quick.

Putting it back on requires lining it up and then re-screwing the front panel down. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to put it back and have everything lined up perfectly.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM
First off, great write up. I've been trying to decide what cover would be best for my needs, which are occasional hauling, but I primarily need the security aspects of a hard cover. Based upon all my research, I'm opting for the diamondback cover with the LineX coating, but the Solid Fold comes in a close second.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by sharper4
You're right. In about 30 seconds the entire thing can be lifted off the vehicle. I don't know why the front clamps screw down vs use those tension rods (I'm sure there is a safety reason for it) but the whole removal is done super quick.

Putting it back on requires lining it up and then re-screwing the front panel down. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to put it back and have everything lined up perfectly.
Thanks. To me that makes it a no brainer.

Do you think there'd be anyway to mount angle iron (aluminum, actually) on the bed rails? They seem pretty wide to me. That'd be a sweet way to be able to tie stuff down on top of the cover.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I would really love to get the Extang Solid Fold as it allows alot of bed accessories most covers do not. I read either here in an archived thread or somewhere else, that the Solid Fold leaks badly with 2009 -2011 F150s and why I cancelled my install. I still don't have one yet but would if these are water tight, somehow.

I know most are not 100% but as long as it keep the rain out, I'm good. I don't expect the car wash not to break the seals.

My 2008 Sport Trac folding hard cover was a lot like the Fold a cover, but it was totally removable. For such a small cover, it was 70lbs because it latched like a car trunk and was built like a tank.

It was totally water tight and no water from rain or snow ever got in. The car wash did leak water into though because of the high pressure breaking the seals. It was basically the same design as the Solid cover but the seals were different. It used a seal that looks like a tailgate seal. The hinge was covered in a rubber casing. It was 100% water tight.

I need 100% water tight because I carry things in the bed that can't get wet at all.

I gave up on most covers because I need something that I can remove myself and I need a cover that will open up the bed, on the go, when I need to.

I didn't go with a fiberglass lid because they are just to impracticle. The undercover is a great idea, but it's to bulky with no handles to be removeable by one person. It also can't be used on the go, to open the bed since it doesn't fold.

I was going to go with an Extang Express Soft Tonneau cover as it does provide some security as it locks when using a locking tailgate and it is on top of the bedrails. From reviews at autoanything, it seems to be the most water tight cover they sell. I would love to get a solid fold if it could offer the same water tightness. I just loved the 2008 Sport Trac's cover but it was a bi-fold as the bed was only 4' long. Plus it's heavy duty make would likely make it to heavy for most trucks. It opened from either end and locked at both ends, it was really really nice.

So if you can get this Solid Fold Cover water tight, I'm SOLD!

Thanks.

Last edited by Mike Up; 02-09-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Great writeup. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Side-By-Side Comparison of BakFlip vs Solid Fold w/ Pics