2009 - 2014 F-150

Adjustment of the tailgate cables?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustment of the tailgate cables?

My new STX doesn't load both the left and right tailgate support cables evenly when there is weight on the tailgate.

It all hangs on the drivers cable... the passenger cable seems longer or adjusted differently and as a result always remains slack while the drivers side is taut.

They are attached with 2 large Torx fasteners, but the one on the tailgate seems to be part of the latch assembly and I don't want to alter that if I don't have to.

Has anyone removed the cable bolts or adjusted them before I whip out the Torx and have a go at it myself?

Thanks!

Brian

Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no adjustment. When weight is put on the tailgate, they will both be taut.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
When weight is put on the tailgate, they will both be taut.
Yeah, it should be, but it isn't.

When I stand on the tailgate on the passenger side (210 lbs), the passenger side cable is not taut. The drivers side cable can play bass notes it is pulled so tight.

When the wife brings the truck back this afternoon I'll look into it and post pics of what I do to fix it

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Looks like they are this way on many trucks based on these threads http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewt...p?f=69&t=71133 and http://www.f150forum.com/f38/tailgate-cable-20085/

The consensus seems to be that the slack should go away with weight, but me standing on it doesn't do it so maybe I should try another cable... on Fords dime of course!

Quick Reply: Adjustment of the tailgate cables?