2009 - 2014 F-150

My first impression of 2010 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first impression of 2010 4.6

I’ve seen much discussion/debate about these engines on these forums. These are my thoughts for those considering purchasing one. I’ve had the truck for 4 wks now, but have only put on 500 miles. This hardly provides enough data points to make an objective opinion, but at least I can give my impression so far.
My experience with these engines was a 99 exp 4X4 w/ 5.4 and then a 2006 F150 Scab 4X4 w/5.4. I was considering a lateral upgrade to a supercrew and demanded that I only get the 5.4. Well, when I realized that I could actually afford a 2010, I test drove the supercrew 4X4 w/4.6. I’m not sure if it was the new car drive “high”, but it seemed just fine so I went with it. This was the top of my price range, so the added features on this one outweighed the base truck with the 5.4. I looked at the specs compared to my old truck and considered how I’ve used my vehicles over the past 10 years and determined this would fit my needs well for my numerous hunting trips and wildlife research excursions. (I am a wildlife biologist, so I will use it as a truck) I happily drove it home; proceeded to call friends I haven’t talked to in 3 years to brag about my new purchase.
Then I started getting into these forums. Quotes I read began to race through my mind everytime I sat in my new truck: “Anemic”, “pathetic”, “slow throttle response”, “POS”, “My old truck would walk all over the ford engines”, “terrible shifting”, etc. Most of you have probably read or posted the same. I soon realized that sometimes me being ignorant is better.
This is absolutely the smoothest, most comfortable, most visually appealing inside and out, and best handling truck I’ve driven. That’s why I chose it over the competitors. I love the transmission; very smooth in mine. When pressing on the gas to go uphill, or change lanes, it quickly finds the right gear and goes without the annoying lack of power found on the 4 sp transmission. As for the engine, with the 3.73 rear gears, it seems to go off the start with adequate power and feel and I haven’t even gotten to lay into it yet. No problem pulling out into traffic on a highway, it easily gets up to speed without having to mash the pedal to the floor. For the couple of times I tried the passing power (still babying it), I then definitely noticed the slow throttle response. However, passing power seemed adequate also. The power seemed to be there, but it needed high rpms to get to it. I’ll get a better feel of it on a long hwy drive next week through the hill country of TX. Two lane roads and short passing zones are the best way to get a feel for the capability.
My point of this long post is that had I never read these forums, I would probably gleefully drive this truck everyday without a concern. Don’t get me wrong, the useful information I’ve learned here far outweighs the negatives. For those considering a new truck, don’t immediately dismiss the smaller engine as I had previous to driving this one. If I was planning on towing anything more than a bay/bass boat on a regular basis, I would definitely choose the bigger engine. For my needs as a solid truck, I think this will serve me more than adequately. I don’t mean that it will do just alright; I think it will be just fine for what I ask of it. Just my $.02, maybe $.50 in this case.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM
That about sums up my impression with the smaller engine too. I have about 3000 miles on my XLT SuperCab. Engine is very quite, pulled my boat with it to Canada, 1300 miles and it handled it well. I had a '97, '98, 2000 with the 4.6, 2 valve engine and I traded in a 5.7 with the 3-valve engine. The 5.7 was very noisey, had more pulling power but not a lot. The new 3-valve has 292 hp and thats all I will every need and I saved some money also. The truck is hands down the best truck that I have ever driven or road in!! Cheve had Ford beat for ride but no longer!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Way to go Ford

My 4.6 3v rocks! I last had a 5.4 in my 06 and did not care for it, in my 07 I went with the 4.6, but now my 10 with the 6 speed and 4.6 is worlds apart! I think Ford is better than all other makes current year. Plus Ford didn't take any gubment money! Another reason I would continue to support em.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 PM
same here. Had an 05 fx4 scab with the 373 rear and 4spd tranny. Went to the 2010 4.6 3v with 6 spd and actually went with 355 rear and I agree with you all.

My 05 had the bigger motor and a tuner and other performance mods and this 4.63v has more seat of your pants power, drives better, tows better, and is just much much more fun to drive on the road. So I also only have 900 miles but agree with the above! That ol 4spd tranny in my 05 was a pile of crap. It couldnt find a gear to save its life and i think that hurt the 5.4 i had with performance. Even the tuner didnt make it much better, and towing even small loads was not so fun.

Last edited by Maxout05; 07-15-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 PM
my dad had an 08 with the 5.4 and 3.55(5 speed). it had lots of pop, great towing. someone pulled out in front of him and his truck got totalled. he now has a 2010 with the 4.6 and 3.55(6 speed). it has the 6 speed so it helps a lot with towing (as well as the tow/haul mode), but it doesnt have the same geddyup as his old truck. that being said, he's making a whole 1.5 mpg better though, which is great!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
^Exactly why the 4.6L is a good engine in the line-up. It works great as an engine for those who don't tow/haul on the upper end of capacity. It actually makes more sense for the majority of F150 owners, but people like to have the biggest/most powerful. I thing the 6-spd tranny is the biggest improvement Ford has made since it allows for more appropriate gearing for most speeds. If you were hauling a 6K lbs. boat every other weekend, I'd say you made a mistake, but for less than 3K lbs towing on occassion there no doubt you chose the correct engine for the application.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 PM
This is good to hear. Glad someone has put it into perspective, for what they need in a "truck" versus, all the power in the world to race stop light to stop light. Hope you enjoy your new truck.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to see Ford was able to recoup all that R&D money spent on the 3v 4.6, it lasted like what, 3 years in the F150? Maybe 5 in the mustang?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
Glad to see Ford was able to recoup all that R&D money spent on the 3v 4.6, it lasted like what, 3 years in the F150? Maybe 5 in the mustang?
i know right! Too bad too cause I love my 4.6 3v glad I bought a 2010 instead of waiting for next year.

Quick Reply: My first impression of 2010 4.6