2009 - 2014 F-150

F-150 will get 3 replacement powertrains

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 will get 3 replacement powertrains

"If you can give them both, which is what the EcoBoost will do for us, then I think we've got a real winner."

link: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100719905

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 PM
i just had a cool thought, a ranger with an eco boost, that would be sick.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Maybe its just me but i think it all sucks.. The 4.6 motor was updated to the 3v and makes a nice set-up and they ditch that, then the 5.4l which imo needed to be redone gets totally dumped all together and replaced by a 5.0 that in the mustangs now has had tones of issues.
So now anyone whos on the market next year for a new pickup and looking in the market is going to look and say "great 3 unproven power plants with no real world consumer experience, and no trusty old options available.. i'm not buying that i'll go get the trusty ol' chevy v8"

Also maybe its just me but even if a v6 made more hp and torque then an out going proven v8, i would never want to spend 33k on a v6 full size.. If it was a diesel yea, but gasser?? WTH imo.

I'm glad i bought my 2010 and didn't wait cause i'm not playing guinea pig on fords motor dept, especially for starting prices of around 33k.

To me real trucks have v8's and diesels. Maybe im just a biased ol' schooler..

And yes the ecoboost diesel is sic, but how many regular family guys are going to make the jump as i'm sure the price tag and overall maintenance is going to be much great then a good ol' gas v8.

Last edited by Maxout05; 07-15-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
Maybe its just me but i think it all sucks.. The 4.6 motor was updated to the 3v and makes a nice set-up and they ditch that, then the 5.4l which imo needed to be redone gets totally dumped all together and replaced by a 5.0 that in the mustangs now has had tones of issues.
So now anyone whos on the market next year for a new pickup and looking in the market is going to look and say "great 3 unproven power plants with no real world consumer experience, and no trusty old options available.. i'm not buying that i'll go get the trusty ol' chevy v8"

Also maybe its just me but even if a v6 made more hp and torque then an out going proven v8, i would never want to spend 33k on a v6 full size.. If it was a diesel yea, but gasser?? WTH imo.

I'm glad i bought my 2010 and didn't wait cause i'm not playing guinea pig on fords motor dept, especially for starting prices of around 33k.

To me real trucks have v8's and diesels. Maybe im just a biased ol' schooler..

And yes the ecoboost diesel is sic, but how many regular family guys are going to make the jump?

Ford is going to aluminum blocks and closing down the domestic foundries.

The new drivetrains are going to be the way of the future. Also look to see the Ecoboost in multiple platforms in the future as well.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
Ford is going to aluminum blocks and closing down the domestic foundries.

The new drivetrains are going to be the way of the future. Also look to see the Ecoboost in multiple platforms in the future as well.
Yea i understand all that, and im actually happy to see it. I'm saying to me its kinda stupid to dump every single known power plant you have for all new powerplants in the same year. I think more people will be turned off, then all for it. Second or third year out for a new motor yea, but first year?

For the last two years they offered the old school 4.6 2v, a revamped 4.6 3v, 5.4l minor improvements with the old 4spd tranny or new 6 spd tranny. So buyers had choices and still had proven power plants.
Now its all new with no proven options.. Makes me afraid enough of first year issues to not buy a 2011 f-150.. I mean it really did i bought the 2010, lol!

I just think with this terrible economy, and good ol "first year foes" too many will shy away for awhile.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I am sure that over time the new engines will work out but untill then I will take my old trusty rusty 2010 with the underpowered 5.4.

John

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
They did it with the super duty line for 11.
Brand new 6.7l diesel and new 6.2L gasser are the only options. They don't seem to be doing too badly.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 PM
The 4.6 motor was updated to the 3v and makes a nice set-up and they ditch that, then the 5.4l which imo needed to be redone gets totally dumped all together and replaced by a 5.0 that in the mustangs now has had tones of issues.
What issues are you speaking of with the 5.0 in the Mustang? I have not seen any what so ever. These cars get beat on harder than any F150 I assure you. Straight out of the showroom floor to the drag strip is common place and I have seen some already running 10 second quarters modified of course.

I for one am glad to see the 5.4 put out to pasture. I have some reservations about the turbo 6 in the F150 but the other two engines are going to be solid performers imo. I think its a step in the right direction. I do believe the 3.7 has been around several years now in Lincolns.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Stilly
I am sure that over time the new engines will work out but untill then I will take my old trusty rusty 2010 with the underpowered 5.4.

John
my point on how most new buyers will think..

Originally Posted by Cutty72
They did it with the super duty line for 11.
Brand new 6.7l diesel and new 6.2L gasser are the only options. They don't seem to be doing too badly.
Yea but the raptor has had the 6.2l with good results. I know fords issues with the previous newer diesels gave alot of people a bad taste in their mouth and with ford having to produce a new diesel there i can understand that.

Originally Posted by Mustang9
What issues are you speaking of with the 5.0 in the Mustang? I have not seen any what so ever. These cars get beat on harder than any F150 I assure you. Straight out of the showroom floor to the drag strip is common place and I have seen some already running 10 second quarters modified of course.

I for one am glad to see the 5.4 put out to pasture. I have some reservations about the turbo 6 in the F150 but the other two engines are going to be solid performers imo. I think its a step in the right direction. I do believe the 3.7 has been around several years now in Lincolns.
I'm not sure on the specific issues with the 5.0 in the mustangs. When i was truck shopping i ask alot of questions and the five local ford dealers near me had bad things to say about the 5.0. Mostly just new motor woes that needed to be worked out i think.

My point is that i think its a bold step for ford to dump all the known f-150 power plants at once for all new motors, as alot of buyers will be two nervous of first year issues to buy. I would have expected ford to kinda ease us in.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing per say for the future of the f-150, im saying it may scare alot of buyers away till these motors are out for a few years in the f-150's. Therefore hurting 2011 sales figures.

I was at the local ford dealer today buying stuff for my 2010 and the dealer owner was talking to me about the new motors. His exact words were "good thing you didnt wait till 2011's to buy, knowbody is better off being the guinea pig" statements like that from long time ford people are what make me wonder.

I second that glad the 5.4l is leaving. I hated it in my 05 pure and simple. I also had one of the worse of its model years for issues too though. You know 1,000 spark plug changes, cracked manifolds, stuck injectors, diesel ticking and so on..

Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 PM
my point on how most new buyers will think..

Yea but the raptor has had the 6.2l with good results. I know fords issues with the previous newer diesels gave alot of people a bad taste in their mouth and with ford having to produce a new diesel there i can understand that.

I'm not sure on the specific issues with the 5.0 in the mustangs. When i was truck shopping i ask alot of questions and the five local ford dealers near me had bad things to say about the 5.0. Mostly just new motor woes that needed to be worked out i think.

My point is that i think its a bold step for ford to dump all the known f-150 power plants at once for all new motors, as alot of buyers will be two nervous of first year issues to buy. I would have expected ford to kinda ease us in.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing per say for the future of the f-150, im saying it may scare alot of buyers away till these motors are out for a few years in the f-150's. Therefore hurting 2011 sales figures.

I was at the local ford dealer today buying stuff for my 2010 and the dealer owner was talking to me about the new motors. His exact words were "good thing you didnt wait till 2011's to buy, knowbody is better off being the guinea pig" statements like that from long time ford people are what make me wonder.

I second that glad the 5.4l is leaving. I hated it in my 05 pure and simple. I also had one of the worse of its model years for issues too though. You know 1,000 spark plug changes, cracked manifolds, stuck injectors, diesel ticking and so on..
First off your dealer sounds like an idiot. Thats not uncommon. Dont forget the Mustang has all new engines and transmissions and so far both are doing extremely well. Ford can screw up the Focus and nobody is much going to know or hear about it. If they screw up the Mustang there will be hell to pay and that goes for the F150 as well. There was a time that I would be leery of new engines and what not but the level of testing that goes on now far exceeds what they did in the past. One of the mags did I write up on how the 5.0 was torture tested and let me tell you it was impressive. I think Ford did their homework here. Time will tell of course but I would not be afraid of one.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang9
First off your dealer sounds like an idiot. Thats not uncommon. Dont forget the Mustang has all new engines and transmissions and so far both are doing extremely well. Ford can screw up the Focus and nobody is much going to know or hear about it. If they screw up the Mustang there will be hell to pay and that goes for the F150 as well. There was a time that I would be leery of new engines and what not but the level of testing that goes on now far exceeds what they did in the past. One of the mags did I write up on how the 5.0 was torture tested and let me tell you it was impressive. I think Ford did their homework here. Time will tell of course but I would not be afraid of one.
I totally hear you, and agree with you. But in todays world with money being tuff, and jobs falling even if you and me aren't weary, there is going to be alot of new buyers who will be and im just saying im surprised ford chose to do it this way in the times we are in.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
There have been catastrophic engine failures in the 5.0 Mustangs due to block flex. Ford was aware of the issue but if you drive it like you had any sense, it probably wouldn't happen. They'll probably rework the metallurgy and call it good. While Ford has not released the numbers for the 5.0 in the F150, I doubt you'll see anything near 400 hp. More than likely around the 325 HP mark as this fits in the segment for that engine versus the competition. It'll also help on the CAFE keeping the power down.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Offer a manual tranny behind the 3.7 and I just might buy a new truck.......

Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
There have been catastrophic engine failures in the 5.0 Mustangs due to block flex. Ford was aware of the issue but if you drive it like you had any sense, it probably wouldn't happen. They'll probably rework the metallurgy and call it good. While Ford has not released the numbers for the 5.0 in the F150, I doubt you'll see anything near 400 hp. More than likely around the 325 HP mark as this fits in the segment for that engine versus the competition. It'll also help on the CAFE keeping the power down.
I hear about that rumor. Some guys brothers girlfriends sisters cousin told him about it. Show me one that has failed due to block flex. I think this has been pretty well debunked. I agree though that the 150 will never see 400 hp with this engine. It will likely be tuned differently.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:05 AM
I totally hear you, and agree with you. But in todays world with money being tuff, and jobs falling even if you and me aren't weary, there is going to be alot of new buyers who will be and im just saying im surprised ford chose to do it this way in the times we are in.
Trust me I understand about parting with a lot of money right now. I am driving a 96 GMC or whats left of it. lol I guess I will drive it till it just dies with what the new stuff costs.

Quick Reply: F-150 will get 3 replacement powertrains