2009 - 2014 F-150

FX4 or Raptor SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FX4 or Raptor SCrew

Well I'm going to be upgrading my 09 FX4 to a 2011 once they start taking orders on them but I'm having a hard time deciding between the Raptor SCrew OR going with an '11 FX4 and spending the diff in price on mods. I can't really decide 100% until I can get definite pricing on the Raptor SCrew so in the meantime I'd like to know/see what upgrades people have done to their FX4's to make them better off road performers.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 AM

I guess that would depend what you plan on using it for. I thought the raptor was built more like a baha truck than anything else. With more suspension travel along with other goodies.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 AM
The couple of dealers around me say that the Raptor Screw will most likely not be produced until the '12 model year

Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 AM
which ever one i CAN GET MY HANDS ON WITH A 6.2 will be my choice....I prefer the FX4 WITH MODS !!!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys. That's why I'm having the dilemma of choosing. The Raptor is definitely overkill for anything I'll be doing with it. I work in the oil field so I need something that's capable for off roading with good ground clearance and reliable in mud. I DON'T need something that can do 100 miles an hour and jump 15' in the air...but it'd sure be fun to have! lol

The more I think about it logically the more the FX4 is winning, plus I can get the FX4 in red which is what I need to be able to use it as a work truck. The illogical part of me is screaming for a Raptor though!

For you guys with the FX4's what are your thoughts on the traction control? Right now that's my only complaint with my '09. I don't trust it in deep snow or mud because that f'ing traction control kicks in as soon as I get the wheels spinning fast enough to clear the treads!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by maloeh
Thanks guys. That's why I'm having the dilemma of choosing. The Raptor is definitely overkill for anything I'll be doing with it. I work in the oil field so I need something that's capable for off roading with good ground clearance and reliable in mud. I DON'T need something that can do 100 miles an hour and jump 15' in the air...but it'd sure be fun to have! lol

The more I think about it logically the more the FX4 is winning, plus I can get the FX4 in red which is what I need to be able to use it as a work truck. The illogical part of me is screaming for a Raptor though!

For you guys with the FX4's what are your thoughts on the traction control? Right now that's my only complaint with my '09. I don't trust it in deep snow or mud because that f'ing traction control kicks in as soon as I get the wheels spinning fast enough to clear the treads!
Hold the traction control button for 5 seconds...it turns it completely off.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:31 PM
If you will use it as a daily driver, FX4 wins hands down. I love the Raptor but not as a daily driver or for work purposes, and I think it would attract too much attention.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 PM
FX4 with mods for sure.

If you need ground clearence you can throw a lift and some decent tires on there. While the Raptor isnt that much taller than a stock FX4

Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I was in the same spot when I was looking at the F150. They had a black Raptor and an FX4. I ended up with the FX4 mainly because there is just no where to really run the raptor near me. There are trails that are fun but not the kind you can race your truck through. If I lived near a desert or something I would be telling you I bought a Raptor.

As for traction control, I never had a problem with it off road and I went up a hill of muddy crap that I needed the locker to get up. If you want the FX4 throw some better tires on it and a lift. The only problem I found off road was the trucks size and trying to turn it around in some spots.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

dont forget no incetives on a limited production truck and youll also be looking at 5-7K over sticker on one.

then again there hasnt been a 6.2 said to be offered other than the raptor yet....

Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Ive never had problems with my traction control. The only time it kicked in alot was in sand. One press on the tc button fixed that.

And as u can see no issue in the snow either.

Here is it in the sand.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Well wth...maybe there's something weird with my traction control. I've tried turning it off (holding for 5 sec) but it only stays off until around 35 mph then it kicks back in. Thanks for your input fellas. I think I'm going to go the FX4 route...now to decide on whether I grab a '10 with the incentives or wait longer for the '11's *sigh*

Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Well wth...maybe there's something weird with my traction control. I've tried turning it off (holding for 5 sec) but it only stays off until around 35 mph then it kicks back in. Thanks for your input fellas. I think I'm going to go the FX4 route...now to decide on whether I grab a '10 with the incentives or wait longer for the '11's *sigh*
You can probably get some good incintives right now on the '10 models.....just sayin'......

Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Well I'm going to be upgrading my 09 FX4 to a 2011 once they start taking orders on them but I'm having a hard time deciding between the Raptor SCrew OR going with an '11 FX4 and spending the diff in price on mods. I can't really decide 100% until I can get definite pricing on the Raptor SCrew so in the meantime I'd like to know/see what upgrades people have done to their FX4's to make them better off road performers.
Has anyone heard which engine(s) will be offered in the FX4 trim? I am torn on whether to buy now or wait for the 2011s.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
i agree on the traction controll issues. granted i dont have a 4-wheel drive, but the last time we have a significant amout of snow, i was completly screwed in my '09 because the TC. I couldnt get any wheel spin at all, in fact it would kick back on around 35mph. In addition to my issues, that same snow fall, my buddy in his '09 ext cab got stuck in on a flat surface where it was icy, there were small dips that he couldnt get out of because of the lack of wheel spin and his TC.

Quick Reply: FX4 or Raptor SCrew