2009 - 2014 F-150

new truck wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new truck wont turn over

just got off work last night after a hard day of the heat and put my key in ignition and the lights, air, radion came on but wouldnt start. the security light flickering and so i disconnected battery ground and reconnected and it is ok. i have 10000 miles on it and go outa town alot. Dont want this to happen again. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM
umm take it back to your dealer and have them fix it under warranty?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Sounds like you have a dead battery to me, probably accidentally left something on anxd didn't even know it.

Did you try jumping it?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Might be a longshot, but is it an aftermarket key?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by tdel10
Sounds like you have a dead battery to me, probably accidentally left something on anxd didn't even know it.

Did you try jumping it?
Reread the original post ! He disconnected and then reconnected the battery and the truck was ok. Doesn't sound like a dead battery to me.

Arkguy29,
Do you have any kind of an auto starter or alarm system installed ?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Theft light flashing means the PATS was active. So probably the transducer around the key cylinder. Have it checked or replaced before it dies all together. Never mind, I thought you said 100k miles...

Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

with older fords.....02 mustang and my 05 fx4 if the alarm is activated you have to use the unlock buttons on the key fob to unlock the truck to restart the passive anti theft system....failure to do that will cause the vehicle to have everything working...but won't allow a start.

It's part of the anti theft system so someone cannot steal the truck. Try playing with your panic button on your key fob and then try starting the truck without deactivating and reactivating then deactivating the stock alarm system....

Should give you the same symptoms you experienced before you disconnected the battery.

Disconnection of the battery restarted the alarm system which allowed you to start under normal conditions.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4
with older fords.....02 mustang and my 05 fx4 if the alarm is activated you have to use the unlock buttons on the key fob to unlock the truck to restart the passive anti theft system....failure to do that will cause the vehicle to have everything working...but won't allow a start.

It's part of the anti theft system so someone cannot steal the truck. Try playing with your panic button on your key fob and then try starting the truck without deactivating and reactivating then deactivating the stock alarm system....

Should give you the same symptoms you experienced before you disconnected the battery.

Disconnection of the battery restarted the alarm system which allowed you to start under normal conditions.
Yup, exactly what I was thinking. My 06 Five Hundred will react this way if you don't unlock it via the key fob. It scared the hell out of me the first time it happened. It would start however with the remote start which was what I did to get home. Then while playing and fiddling with buttons I figured out was as happening.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM
The key is factory, thought maybe key became unprogrammed. used spare and didnt work. I got into my truck at lunch and the same freaking thing happened. tried to disconnect battery and still wouldnt work. so road side service came got it.

Ford reprogrammed truck. I picked it up started driving 2 hrs on a trip and all gauges in truck stopped working. Rpm, speedo, temp, air cond, the freaking dash looked like a xmas lights. so pissed. finally came back on. I made it where i was going, woke up the next morning and its been 2 days and havent had a problem yet. call ford. they are checking to see if anyone has had problems like this but they think instrument cluster is going out. i just want it fixed. anyone ever had problems like this.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a battery. Somehow my truck fried a battery one day. I think I left the keys in the ingnition for like 4hrs or something and it literally fried the battery. Apparently the entire truck stays active with the keys in the ignition... so dont do that.

Ford will replace it no charge.

Quick Reply: new truck wont turn over