2009 - 2014 F-150

Center console gear select cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console gear select cable

Has anyone fully removed the center console? The only thing holding me back right now is the gear select cable. I was able to unbolt the gear selector handle, and unclip the cable holder, but i have no clue how the cable would seperate to allow the console to be removed fully! Anybody???

Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Has anyone fully removed the center console? The only thing holding me back right now is the gear select cable. I was able to unbolt the gear selector handle, and unclip the cable holder, but i have no clue how the cable would seperate to allow the console to be removed fully! Anybody???
You can leave the shifter bolted in and just pop the cable eye off of the shifter. The cable also has a tab to depress which allows it to slip out of the console. I just removed mine yesterday and it comes out pretty easily.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by DeereGeff
You can leave the shifter bolted in and just pop the cable eye off of the shifter. The cable also has a tab to depress which allows it to slip out of the console. I just removed mine yesterday and it comes out pretty easily.
Yeah...that tab that you depress was the first thing I located. I though at first maybe the cable somehow came apart at that area, but then realized that you have to "pop" off the eyelet from the actual gear selector. Its one of those things, when you do it once, you realize how easy it is. Thanks for the help!!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

LOL funny you should ask, I just finished taking apart my entire center console over the past day or so (in my spare time). I'm going to post a full write-up tonight. I'll post a link to it here

...yes I was that kid in the backyard taking apart EVERYTHING...and when I was done I would always put it back together and it would work properly...with pieces left over! (though the center console is back together with no extra pieces, don't worry )

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 08-09-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:13 AM

Ok, well it's taking longer than expected to write this one up...give me a day or so

Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Take your time. you know its almost like the trick to fold down the seats on a Screw cab. At first you look at it and think...ok, how is this going to work without breaking anything, and then when you actually do it....you realize..damn that was really easy!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Ok im just curious but why are yall taking your center consoles out??

Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by joshn
Ok im just curious but why are yall taking your center consoles out??

i took out mine b/c I'm completely sound damping the entire truck, putting down Dynamat extrme, then a layer of CCF (dynaliner), and then a layer of MLV (mass loaded vinyl). Its 20 times easier when everything is removed from the floor of the truck ie seats, console, and carpet

Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM

hey guys. I'm really sorry for the delay. School has started back and, honestly I don't think I'll have time to finish my write up anytime soon. It's pretty easy to take apart the console (as I take it you already have done). Sorry guys.

Quick Reply: Center console gear select cable