2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F150 Engine Lineup!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Thing is, the tow rating for the 5.0 is 2000lbs lower than the 6.2. That would mean no max tow package for anything except those 6.2 models. No XLT, FX4. Those are available now with max tow.
I think you will find that commercial companies that need to tow things that big will still be buying Super Dutys.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambo
The EcoBoost will have max towing for the XLT and up. This will be the premium engine for towing.
I have to disagree about it being the top engine for towing. So far all have said ab out 400hp and 400ftlbs of torque for the eco-boost. That is 10% below the 6.2s torque. Personally I would much rather have the V8 as it will not be working as hard as that 6 cylinder to do the same thing. The main reason for Ford to have it is mileage. They need to get so many in there so the meet federal mileage requirements.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I think you will find that commercial companies that need to tow things that big will still be buying Super Dutys.
I don't know, considering the Super Duties will run them at least 5k more, and if they really have heavy stuff to tow will go with a diesel.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder when this line up will be release.. early, mid, late 2011?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I have to disagree about it being the top engine for towing. So far all have said ab out 400hp and 400ftlbs of torque for the eco-boost. That is 10% below the 6.2s torque. Personally I would much rather have the V8 as it will not be working as hard as that 6 cylinder to do the same thing. The main reason for Ford to have it is mileage. They need to get so many in there so the meet federal mileage requirements.
Yes, but it has a flatter torque band and all the torque available at a much lower RPM than the 6.2, so it won't be working that much harder than you think. If they're saying it's rated to tow just as much as the 6.2 and more than the 5.0, then they know something about it that we don't.

Not to throw Cummins out there, but they've been managing to do just fine all these years with two cylinders less than the competition. I'm thinking once tuning is available for the 3.5, it'll be the new monster on the block. If the twin turbo setup is anything like a 6.4 PSD tuned, turbo lag will be almost nonexistent and you can pull that 11,300 lbs in 6th gear all day long without breaking a sweat.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
Yes, but it has a flatter torque band and all the torque available at a much lower RPM than the 6.2, so it won't be working that much harder than you think. If they're saying it's rated to tow just as much as the 6.2 and more than the 5.0, then they know something about it that we don't.

Not to throw Cummins out there, but they've been managing to do just fine all these years with two cylinders less than the competition. I'm thinking once tuning is available for the 3.5, it'll be the new monster on the block. If the twin turbo setup is anything like a 6.4 PSD tuned, turbo lag will be almost nonexistent and you can pull that 11,300 lbs in 6th gear all day long without breaking a sweat.
If the 3.5 was a diesel, I might agree, but not a gasser. Just my opinion.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by weazel
Wonder when this line up will be release.. early, mid, late 2011?
From Truck Trend... "production of 3.5, 5.0, and 6.2-liter trucks is expected to begin in late September, while the EcoBoost F-150 will launch later in the fall of 2010."
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/n...ok/engine.html

Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
From Truck Trend... "production of 3.5, 5.0, and 6.2-liter trucks is expected to begin in late September, while the EcoBoost F-150 will launch later in the fall of 2010."
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/n...ok/engine.html
That would mean no FX4, as all FX4s have had the larger engine. Either that or the 6.2 will be available in the FX4.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
- No 6.2L in FX4 Trim.
- Max tow FX4 will have EB.

So will I go up to the lariat to get the 6.2L (and deal with the wood grain trim later), or go with FX4 and EB. Hmmmm

If the EB costs more than a 6.2L could be very little price gap.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
That would mean no FX4, as all FX4s have had the larger engine. Either that or the 6.2 will be available in the FX4.
5.0 FX4 at the start. Then EB optional later on.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Well fainess in conversation, all trim levels get EB "later" like a couple months later.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
If the 3.5 was a diesel, I might agree, but not a gasser. Just my opinion.
But what exactly is reason why people have this mentality? We've had four diesels in the past 10 years and I've been around plenty of gas powered turbos to know what they're capable of. You're not going to haul the kind of loads that a diesel will with a half-ton truck. Period. So if it's a question of a diesel engine being built stouter than a gas, that is a moot point. Diesels don't get the mpg's they once did, so they can't trump a gas engine in that realm anymore. And if it was a diesel engine, it would be subject to the same EPA rules as the rest of them. I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to deal with DPF regenarations and UREA in their half-ton truck. Because of all that, maintenance is much higher than a gas engine and longevity and the breaking even point on the price difference over gas is not what it once was.

We have a 6.4 now, and I can honestly say I would not want a diesel in an F150. The maintenance on a diesel will not be worth it to anyone, nor the premium price. You might as well get into a Super Duty once you're done.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
But what exactly is reason why people have this mentality? We've had four diesels in the past 10 years and I've been around plenty of gas powered turbos to know what they're capable of. You're not going to haul the kind of loads that a diesel will with a half-ton truck. Period. So if it's a question of a diesel engine being built stouter than a gas, that is a moot point. Diesels don't get the mpg's they once did, so they can't trump a gas engine in that realm anymore. And if it was a diesel engine, it would be subject to the same EPA rules as the rest of them. I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to deal with DPF regenarations and UREA in their half-ton truck. Because of all that, maintenance is much higher than a gas engine and longevity and the breaking even point on the price difference over gas is not what it once was.

We have a 6.4 now, and I can honestly say I would not want a diesel in an F150. The maintenance on a diesel will not be worth it to anyone, nor the premium price. You might as well get into a Super Duty once you're done.
VERY well said.

Diesels only pay for them selves if you tow 80% of the time. And why the heck would you buy a F150 if you tow that much?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
So the big question of the day: (assuming EB is 400/410)

Steep incline, two identical F150s: 1 EB, 1 6.2L, 10,000 trailers, sea level, Who gets to the top faster?

I suspect the EB would given its flatter tq "curve" and the turbo factor.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
VERY well said.

Diesels only pay for them selves if you tow 80% of the time. And why the heck would you buy a F150 if you tow that much?
To be honest, the 6.4 might be a little too over the top for us since we don't tow it every day. It is a daily driver, but like I said, it's a different animal over the old 5.9 Cummins we had. Those could go forever with very little maintenance. If you push a 5,000 oil change interval on a 6.4, you're taking a risk since they make oil because of the regen process. In all honesty, a 3k mile interval is best so you're not risking it. That right there is $100 alone. Then you've got fuel filters, and the water separator. If you get water in that engine it's trashed. And Ford will not pay for that. You've got to fight the fuel station on that one and you're looking at a $18,000 bill roughly for a new engine.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 Engine Lineup!