2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F150 Engine Lineup!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cditch13
Actually he'd probably be better off with a Tundra and a TRD supercharger.
...wheres the vomit smiley

Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by APT
The EB3.5L is better than a diesel. Modern diesels get peak torque from about 1500rpm to about 3000rpm at peak hp and redline under 3500rpm. The EB gets peak torque from 1500rpm to 5200rpm, peak hp at 5500rpm and redline near 6000rpm. You get twice the area under the curve for peak torque, a 3700rpm spread vs. 1500. So with direct injection turbo charged gasoline engines you get the benefits of direct injection turbocharged diesel engines (and more) without the emissions costs.
Yeah but a diesels operating ranges are only from 600rpm to 3500rpm, if you look at the ratio its pretty close when compared to the EB, not saying that one is better than the other but I see a better future if it were a diesel! and for those power fanatics you could throw a chip on there probably making an extra 80+ HP. and whos to say they wont make both!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Bighahn
Yeah but a diesels operating ranges are only from 600rpm to 3500rpm, if you look at the ratio its pretty close when compared to the EB, not saying that one is better than the other but I see a better future if it were a diesel! and for those power fanatics you could throw a chip on there probably making an extra 80+ HP. and whos to say they wont make both!!!
Yeah, but as we were discussing previously, with all the emissions controls on the diesels these days, they really don't have the kinda future and lifespan that diesels once had. It's really hard to expect to get more than 200k out of today's diesel engine. You have to take the emissions controls off to get any kind of "real" diesel efficiency and reliability, but in doing so you kill whatever warranty you had. And since they're now starting to smog check diesels, you probably wouldn't pass.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 AM
there for deisels have to shift alot more..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
Yeah, but as we were discussing previously, with all the emissions controls on the diesels these days, they really don't have the kinda future and lifespan that diesels once had. It's really hard to expect to get more than 200k out of today's diesel engine. You have to take the emissions controls off to get any kind of "real" diesel efficiency and reliability, but in doing so you kill whatever warranty you had. And since they're now starting to smog check diesels, you probably wouldn't pass.
Yeah that is true! Correct me if Im wrong, but I always thought that diesels even with high sulfer fuel still emitted less emissins than a gasser because diesels burn their fuel more thuroughly and completely. My dad has a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 and he has over 100k on it and it runs like new, I just cant get over the raw power and torque that thing produces! but if I can get similar results from a turbo v6, ill be trading my truck in very soon!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
It's not really how much emissions a diesel makes, it's the type. The controls that are screwing them up now are primarily to control particulates (soot). The days of diesels belching black smoke are gone.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by glc
It's not really how much emissions a diesel makes, it's the type. The controls that are screwing them up now are primarily to control particulates (soot). The days of diesels belching black smoke are gone.
Those days are definitely gone. One of the main reasons the MPG has suffered so much is the low sulfur fuel. Removing the sulfur means the fuel doesn't have as much thermal energy as the old diesel had. The new engines now have to burn almost twice as much fuel to go the same distance of the older engines.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Those days are definitely gone. One of the main reasons the MPG has suffered so much is the low sulfur fuel. Removing the sulfur means the fuel doesn't have as much thermal energy as the old diesel had. The new engines now have to burn almost twice as much fuel to go the same distance of the older engines.
The sulfur also helps cleans the engine right? Those particulate filters reburn the exhaust so all that soot is left out, when my dads truck says "cleaning exhaust filter," you can see gray smoke billowing from the out of the exhaust pipe!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 PM
glc
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Don't forget the DPF regen - that's dumping raw fuel into the DPF to burn off the residue. That's fuel that is not being used by the engine.

Just ULSD doesn't double consumption - I have a friend with a tuned 2000 Excursion with a 7.3 that used to get 26 mpg on the highway, now he gets 20. If it had a DPF, I'd bet he'd get about 15.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Power Kid
So the big question of the day: (assuming EB is 400/410)

Steep incline, two identical F150s: 1 EB, 1 6.2L, 10,000 trailers, sea level, Who gets to the top faster?

I suspect the EB would given its flatter tq "curve" and the turbo factor.
If you are towing a 10000 lb trailer on a regular basis, I dont know why you would be driving an F150

Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I have to laugh at all you clowns that are turning up your noses at the 5.0 and EB before there are even any published tests of the things.

Funny thing, but the 3.7 NA V-6 has more HP than the 4.6 3v............it's just lower on torque. I betcha the torque curve is a lot flatter though. I for one am glad to see a V-6 return to the F-150, now all I need is a manual tranny option.
True, but you also have to laugh at Ford for putting the 6.2 in the Lariats and Platinum, but not any of the other trim lines.

Face it, for the most part Platinums and Lariats are daily drivers of old men and napoleon syndrome types, where people are just wasting gas and not taking any advantage of the power. FX4's and even XL's could use it doing real work

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
If you are towing a 10000 lb trailer on a regular basis, I dont know why you would be driving an F150
WTF? Never said I would on a "regular basis".

Let me help you out. Perhaps given the "extreme" nature of a 10,000lb load, we might get some idea of the engines performance characteristics. Given both engines kinda fill the same spot on the roster, this would tell us which one might be the top dog while towing. If I'm spending all the $$$ to buy one, I'd like to know.

And even if I tow 8 - 10,000 lbs a few times a year, I still want to know.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 PM
glc
True, but you also have to laugh at Ford for putting the 6.2 in the Lariats and Platinum, but not any of the other trim lines.

Face it, for the most part Platinums and Lariats are daily drivers of old men and napoleon syndrome types, where people are just wasting gas and not taking any advantage of the power. FX4's and even XL's could use it doing real work
Corporate average fuel economy, 6.2 production capacity, and the desire to maximize profits. NOTE that there will not be a max tow option in anything other than the Lariat and Platinum till the EB comes out!

I'd be willing to make a bet that there will be a LOT of XL's sold with the base 3.7. You see you can even get the 3.7 in a 2wd Screw?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Guess I never got the memo about Lariat drivers being old men with napoleon syndrome considering I'm a 22 yr old female and about 6'0 which is tall for a girl so I think that kind of squashes the napoleon syndrome part. The fact that I got a Lariat was based partly on the fact that I really liked my best friend's 2004 Lariat, and she's a 23 yr old female (got it when she was 20 or 21). *shrug*

But if we are going to discuss the target demographic of each trim level, I'd say it makes a lot of sense to put the 6.2 in Lariats and Platinums only (besides the Harley Davidson and Raptor of course). That demographic tends to be the people that have the money to spend on big boats, campers, etc that they would probably need the 6.2 power for. Whereas the XLs and XLTs, can accomplish their "real work" of moving lumber, hauling smaller boats or campers, hauling utility trailers with landscaping equipment, etc just fine with one of the other 3 engines. And yes I substituted XLT where you put FX4, because the target demographic for FX4s are off-roaders not necessarily for "real work" as you put it. You can get an FX4 decked out until it only has 2 or 3 differences from a Lariat, and you can get an FX4 so base that it only has 2 or 3 differences from an XLT.

But all demographics aside, IMO it makes perfect sense that the base models get the base engines and the premium models get the premium engines.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I hope they make the 6.2 available in more trims. Im also interested to see how the 5.0 will stack up. I guess im old school but I would never buy a turbocharged V6 in a full size truck whether it has more power or not. They should make the max tow available with the 5.0 too because if the 5.4 could do it the 5.0 should too. Im hoping the 5.0 will be a good motor because with a little tuning it should be in the 400hp/tq range also.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 Engine Lineup!