2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F150 Engine Lineup!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- Who really tows more than 9,800lbs? And if you do and you want a 5.0L... get it? Your already going to be over gawrs & gvwr so whats the diff? My 04 FX4 has a max tow rating of 8,800 lbs which was very high back then. We need some perspective here. What part of the max tow pkg are you missing that you want it matched up with the 5.0L?

- They don't really need to offer 3 engines with the max tow when they have 2 more than capable units. Why?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Bighahn
Yeah that is true! Correct me if Im wrong, but I always thought that diesels even with high sulfer fuel still emitted less emissins than a gasser because diesels burn their fuel more thuroughly and completely. My dad has a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 and he has over 100k on it and it runs like new, I just cant get over the raw power and torque that thing produces! but if I can get similar results from a turbo v6, ill be trading my truck in very soon!
Yep, they do have tons of power! My dad has an '09 F350 and the engine is not short on power at all.

Originally Posted by Tbird69
Those days are definitely gone. One of the main reasons the MPG has suffered so much is the low sulfur fuel. Removing the sulfur means the fuel doesn't have as much thermal energy as the old diesel had. The new engines now have to burn almost twice as much fuel to go the same distance of the older engines.
Yep! I think a lot of people forget that and are too quick to blame the DPF alone for the dismal fuel. ULSD is a huge factor in that.

Originally Posted by Bighahn
The sulfur also helps cleans the engine right? Those particulate filters reburn the exhaust so all that soot is left out, when my dads truck says "cleaning exhaust filter," you can see gray smoke billowing from the out of the exhaust pipe!
Woah, that sounds like his EGR or DPF might be clogged. When everything is running right, it shouldn't be blowing any smoke while regenerating. My dad's blows clear. You can't even tell unless you catch it at a certain angle. Then you can see the heat blowing out of it like if you were staring at a BBQ grill on a hot day.

Originally Posted by austinbF150
I hope they make the 6.2 available in more trims. Im also interested to see how the 5.0 will stack up. I guess im old school but I would never buy a turbocharged V6 in a full size truck whether it has more power or not. They should make the max tow available with the 5.0 too because if the 5.4 could do it the 5.0 should too. Im hoping the 5.0 will be a good motor because with a little tuning it should be in the 400hp/tq range also.
Yeah, but if it was a turbocharged I6 diesel, people would be all over it.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I guess im old school but I would never buy a turbocharged V6 in a full size truck whether it has more power or not.
If that's your mindset, so be it. You are entitled to that opinion. Pony up for a Lariat or a Platinum if that's what you insist on and need/want more power than the 5.0 offers.

They should make the max tow available with the 5.0 too because if the 5.4 could do it the 5.0 should too.
That's the problem - the 5.4 did NOT do that good a job with max tow loads. How many of you have been screaming for years that the 5.4 was underpowered? Ford is tired of hearing it.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The base engine has 300 hp..........
Yea and 275 ft/lbs torque. That 300hp wont feel that good in a crew cab 4x4

Old 08-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Maybe some of us cannot afford a Lariat or Platinum. I am one of them. I love my XLT. I tow a big trailer and I think they screwed up not offering the 6.2 for all of us. I guess they need to be able to make some improvements for 2012... Like the 6.2 for all models. The V-6 TT is going to be a bust.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:21 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by DarnEFNET
Yea and 275 ft/lbs torque. That 300hp wont feel that good in a crew cab 4x4
Can't get it in a crew cab 4x4, only 2 wheel drive.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by bluetoy
The V-6 TT is going to be a bust.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm curious if the base 3.7 will be offered with 4x4 in reg. cab or supercab. As for me, the 5.0 sounds right for me. I think the 6.2 should be an option across all trims. I don't exactly need a 45k just to get a 6.2 (if I wanted one) truck to do what I need. They're all underneath the bells and whistles anyway. I can see an XLT with the 6.2 being a hot seller.

Last edited by aridranger03; 08-14-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by bluetoy
I guess they need to be able to make some improvements for 2012... Like the 6.2 for all models. The V-6 TT is going to be a bust.
I seriously doubt the 6.2L will make it into anything else than what Ford has made available, and you can thank the CAFE standards for that.

As for the V6 TT being a bust and to all those wanting a diesel powerplant in a half ton, give it up. I'd be willing to bet my life savings on the new 3.5L EB being the next best thing to happen to the half ton truck industry.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:29 AM
I seriously think one you drive a turbo boosted truck, you'll be hooked. Driving an 8000lb F350 with a 6.4 will give you a good indication of what it feels like. When the turbos dump 30lbs of boost and it rips through all five gears so fast with such precision in such a heavy vehicle, it's exhilarating. I love a big v8, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling the boost thrust in that "wimpy" v6 is going to be orgasmic. Add the select shift transmission and it should be a fun ride.

To me, this sounds pretty damn good for a V6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37uJ2_QVAdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZOXstqZQwk

Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
I seriously think one you drive a turbo boosted truck, you'll be hooked. Driving an 8000lb F350 with a 6.4 will give you a good indication of what it feels like. When the turbos dump 30lbs of boost and it rips through all five gears so fast with such precision in such a heavy vehicle, it's exhilarating. I love a big v8, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling the boost thrust in that "wimpy" v6 is going to be orgasmic. Add the select shift transmission and it should be a fun ride.

To me, this sounds pretty damn good for a V6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZOXstqZQwk
I dunno. I agree the acceleration will be great but, a performance exhaust on a 6 cylinder just sounds like noise to me. It's just not as nice as a V8 to listen to. The Taurus in this vid sounds like a tractor.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Dunesgirl
I'd be willing to bet my life savings on the new 3.5L EB being the next best thing to happen to the half ton truck industry.
Agreed.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest concern with the 3.5 eco-boost is going to be durability. Yes it is putting out a lot of HP for a small engine, meaning it is working at much closer to it's limits than a naturally aspirated v8. On top of that is moving around 2 times the weight of the Flex or Taurus on a daily basis, and with max towing, probably 4-5 times the weight. That will put a lot of strain on that engine.
The 4.6 and 5.4 have shown they will stand up to that abuse, will the 3.5? Just like anything else. the closer you are to the limits of something, the quicker and easier it will break.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember the 300 straight 6? Why didn't they just put a turbo on that indestructible engine. I'm hoping this ecoboost turns out to be as durable as the 300's were, just in a V-form. I bet if the Eco Boost pans out to be reliable, and with the EPA restricting everything, the V-8 line may not be around in the future. I wonder what numbers they'd get out of a eco boost with the 4.2 displacement of the old V-6's.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
My biggest concern with the 3.5 eco-boost is going to be durability. Yes it is putting out a lot of HP for a small engine, meaning it is working at much closer to it's limits than a naturally aspirated v8. On top of that is moving around 2 times the weight of the Flex or Taurus on a daily basis, and with max towing, probably 4-5 times the weight. That will put a lot of strain on that engine.
The 4.6 and 5.4 have shown they will stand up to that abuse, will the 3.5? Just like anything else. the closer you are to the limits of something, the quicker and easier it will break.
The 3.5L EB was designed with turbocharging in mind, therefore has increased strength in areas where it is needed. It's not like Ford took some regular engine and threw in a couple of turbos as an afterthought. Obviously, there are some cases where the manufacturer overlooks something, but I still think the EB will be a game changer and its durability will be on par with anything else Ford is offering for 2011. I mean, look at the tow rating it received. I highly doubt Ford would give it the highest tow rating available (with Max Tow Package) if they didn't think it could stand up to the abuse.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 Engine Lineup!