2009 - 2014 F-150

Extended Service Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I look at an esp as I would rather have it and not need it...then need it and not have it. I am waiting for new FX4 screw to get here. This is my first new truck I will be buying. You never know what could happen so I will be buying one.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I bought one on my 2010 F-150. I got it fairly cheap and with all the electronics and gadgets on the new vehicles, I think it is a smart gamble.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will take it one step farther. I bought one on my 2010 Supercrew based on the fact that it is for 7yrs/100k because I bought this truck to keep. It has a ton of gadgets on it that you just never know. As mentioned above I would rather spend the $1500 now and know for the next 7yrs or 100K I will never be in the situation of "oh crap that broke how much is this gonna cost me". If it breaks I take it to the dealership.

Kind of like Car insurance I pay more to have higher coverage, I could get state minimum because I am a safe driver, don't get tickets and drive defensively to avoid accidents. So I could say look at all the money I've wasted on insurance or I could say I have done everything I can to be safe but if I had a brainfart I am covered. Just depends how you live your life I guess but I prefer not to leave a lot up to chance. As one of my Commanding Officers used to say "Hope is not a strategy"

***One thing I will say very strongly is DO NOT finance the ESP, that is where they loose their value, a $1500 ESP rolled into your loan means you pay intrest on that ESP for the term of your loan. I buy them but I fork over the cash****

Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Quackaddict
I will take it one step farther. I bought one on my 2010 Supercrew based on the fact that it is for 7yrs/100k because I bought this truck to keep. It has a ton of gadgets on it that you just never know. As mentioned above I would rather spend the $1500 now and know for the next 7yrs or 100K I will never be in the situation of "oh crap that broke how much is this gonna cost me". If it breaks I take it to the dealership.

Kind of like Car insurance I pay more to have higher coverage, I could get state minimum because I am a safe driver, don't get tickets and drive defensively to avoid accidents. So I could say look at all the money I've wasted on insurance or I could say I have done everything I can to be safe but if I had a brainfart I am covered. Just depends how you live your life I guess but I prefer not to leave a lot up to chance. As one of my Commanding Officers used to say "Hope is not a strategy"

***One thing I will say very strongly is DO NOT finance the ESP, that is where they loose their value, a $1500 ESP rolled into your loan means you pay intrest on that ESP for the term of your loan. I buy them but I fork over the cash****
I go one step further. I pay cash for the vehicle, don't buy the insurance and that helps me have the cash ready for the next new one.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Agree Quackaddict. I paid cash for the warranty and truck. But, I still carry the maximum liability also. You never know when you may be in traffic and is starts raining, snowing or whatever and some nut in a Porsche spins out or stops in front of you. It is only a few more dollars a month and a whole lot of peace of mind!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:18 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
The problem with 3rd party warranties is this - very frequently you cannot get the repairs authorized and covered without dealing with an adjuster who is going to have it done the cheapest he can get away with. If it's a Ford ESP, the dealer should handle everything. Remember - an ESP is *NOT* a warranty, it's an insurance policy.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 AM
This is the best priced one I have found ... looking at pulling the trigger in the next month or so.

http://www.myfordwarranty.com/

I believe you can buy an extended warranty as long as the vehicle is under original factory warranty. As someone who just paid $1k for AC repair on my wife's 2005 FORD Sedan (with 55k miles), I'm splurging on an extended warranty. That car would still have another 2 years of coverage at the max warranty level!

It's a gamble ... but auto repair is an expensive beast. Hell, live is an expensive beast!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have bought 8 new vehicles in my life. The only money I spent on those where an extended warranty might have paid for the repair was a front rotor on my current truck. That cost me $150, plus my time to replace. I have kept all of these vehicles at least 10 years and near or over 100,000 miles. If I did not think the vehicle would last without having an extended warranty, I would not buy it. That is what I told the guy at the dealer that tried to sell me the last one. he said everyone needs the piece of mind and the coverage. You never know when an engine or transmission will let go. I told him that if he did not think the truck was going to last beyond the Ford warranty, I needed to reconsider buying the truck. He grinned and said no more about it.
I had a similar experience when I bought mine. The finance guy when I was signing the papers was going through his sales pitch and when he was done I simply told him no thanks. He was dumbfounded. He replied that with all the computers and such it would be worth it for me. I said that F250 6.0 out there I'm trading in has 143k on it and still has the computers it came with and asked him if at 60,001 miles the computers are going to fall out of this F150 maybe I need to keep the 6.0. He was kinda speechless. Well I did replace the FICM but that was partially my fault ( batteries going bad) and part Fords with the flash I had which was known as the " FICM killer". I'll see how the first 50k goes then maybe I might reconsider.
Another reason I didn't buy it!

Last edited by D8Chumley; 08-21-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
You have factory 3 yr/36k mile warranty that covers most things (see the warranty book for the exclusions). Use those 3 years as an indicator to see if your truck is problematic or not.

As you approach the end of the factory (and free) warranty period, consider the warranty servicing history. Chances are it's little or none. On the other hand, if your truck has a long list of warranty service work, get rid of it and try again with a new truck. If you really need to feel 'safe', buy an extended warranty at that time.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought an ESP for my 2005, and it paid for itself multiple times over, I got the lowest end one, dont remember what it was called.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
has any one priced one from their dealer compared to buying it on line.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.J
has any one priced one from their dealer compared to buying it on line.
Beware of the non Ford plans. There are many horror stories getting them to pay for repairs.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Beware of the non Ford plans. There are many horror stories getting them to pay for repairs.
x-2 many of these non ford plans the ford dealer has to call a get approval and all the get is a run around and a lot of these company's are only in business for a short time. check out www.ripoffreport.com and read some the horror stories.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 PM
With the Ford ESP that I had, you could get a refund. It was prorated so if you sold, you could transfer it or cash it out.

Kevin

Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Financial advisors say ESP's are a loser's bet. You are wagering the vehicle is gonna break down within a given time period. It already has a 3 year warranty and you are wagering it's gonna break down beyond the original 3 years, but before another 4 years go by. Then the break-down has to cost more than what you paid for the policy.

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plans