2009 - 2014 F-150

What is this wire for? (pic link enclosed)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this wire for? (pic link enclosed)

I have a 2010 Super Crew and was just wondering what this wire might be for. I did have the dealer install the remote starter and maybe that’s what it’s for but I’m not sure. I noticed it today while cleaning the interior, it was kinda’ just hanging loosely in the steering column so I grabbed it with my finger and pulled it out, I was surprised to see that it wasn’t connected to anything, well at least one end isn’t. The wire is tan with a black stripe so if anyone knows what it is for let me know if ya’ don’t mind. By the way the remote starter seems to be working just fine.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/v...mages/wire.jpg

Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM
do you have the factory Ford remote start?

They only thing close I see in the wiring diagram is a brown with black stripe wire that goes to the truck's horn wire (a blue with white stripe wire) in the steering column.

Does your horn chirp to confirm your truck started during remote starting? Or leave your door open and trying to rmst and it shouldn't start but the horn should then beep 3 times.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 08-19-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
do you have the factory Ford remote start?

They only thing close I see in the wiring diagram is a brown with black stripe wire that goes to the truck's horn wire (a blue with white stripe wire) in the steering column.

Does your horn chirp to confirm your truck started during remote starting? Or leave your door open and trying to rmst and it shouldn't start but the horn should then beep 3 times.
Yes, I have the factory Ford remote start, the horn never chirps when the remote starts the truck, and the remote start will start the truck with the door open and no horn beeps or chirps are involved in the process.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
ok, so that is the rmst horn wire then that they didn't hook up.

it also sounds like they didn't hook up the "door ajar" wire either because it's not supposed to rmst with the door open. I'm thinking they did that to avoid the 2010 My-Key issue.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 08-19-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
ok, so that is the rmst horn wire then that they didn't hook up.

it also sounds like they didn't hook up the "door ajar" wire either because it's not supposed to rmst with the door open. I'm thinking they did that to avoid the 2010 My-Key issue.
Thanks for the info, which makes sense. When I picked up the truck I asked why the engine turns off when I put the key in after I already started via the remote start and they said it was because the My Key is not recognized by the remote start. If the technician would have done a cleaner install I wouldn't even had noticed the wire.

Thanks,
twenty_over

Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Sounds like a **** poor install by your dealer. I would make them correct the install. You paid the money for it to be done correctly. All wires should be soldered and taped (not crimped per Ford). There should be no loose wires with exposed copper (totally unacceptable). All functions ( horn sounding and cutting off of engine because of my key )should work and can be turned off during programming. There are setting in the programming of the rmst can be done, the answer is not to leave the system half-arsed hooked up with wires unconnected that should be. What if you wanted to use these functions later?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Bama72
Sounds like a **** poor install by your dealer. I would make them correct the install. You paid the money for it to be done correctly. All wires should be soldered and taped (not crimped per Ford). There should be no loose wires with exposed copper (totally unacceptable). All functions ( horn sounding and cutting off of engine because of my key )should work and can be turned off during programming. There are setting in the programming of the rmst can be done, the answer is not to leave the system half-arsed hooked up with wires unconnected that should be. What if you wanted to use these functions later?
Yes, I agree. I will have them fix it correctly when I take it in for the first oil change at the latest. Most likely I'll bring it in sooner. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM
This is great information. I want to have the remote start installed and would not have been aware of these functions. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Bama72
Bama72, I’ll be taking my truck in very shortly and was wondering if you have any printed info you could send me concerning the soldering and taping of wires, something from Ford Motor Co. perhaps that I could use as back up ammo when I talk to the service manager? I see other areas of crappy installation of my remote and would like to have it addressed.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:30 PM
go here: http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do

then choose Installation Instructions and then Electronics. Within there are various remote start files. they show how to properly splice the wires.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:10 PM
go here: http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do

then choose Installation Instructions and then Electronics. Within there are various remote start files. they show how to properly splice the wires.
Thank You!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
This is the programming for the Bronze( remote start only) code alarm for Ford with MY-KEY.
http://documents.codesystems.com/710620.pdf
They do not give you this on the Ford acceseries site. Ford dealers have been told not to disable the MY-KEY feature on Bank 2, Option 7, so you might have to do it yourself. When you do this your MY-KEY feature will not work if the remote start is used and your truck will stay running when you open your door, but if you start the truck with just the key the MY_Key features will still work. When you disable this feature atleast you don't have to start your truck twice and put unnecessary wear on your starter.

Last edited by Bama72; 08-30-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks to all for the remote start info, this thread can be put to rest since my problem was finally resolved. After three trips to the dealer that installed it I gave up, they either were to incompetent to wire and program it the way I wanted, or they were unwilling because of the liability issues concerning the my-key feature. I was able to have a mobile installer come to my house to re-wire and re-program it. His fee was very reasonable and well worth it, I will use his services again if needed as opposed to the dealership.

The remote works great now:

1. No horn @ start up
2. Runs with doors open
3. Runs for 10 minutes
4. Stays running when the key is inserted

Regards to all,
twenty_over

Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM
it's amazing most dealers don't have a clue - a mobile installer usually comes to them too. That's good, hopefully you should never have to mess with it again, the Ford systems are pretty reliable when hooked up properly. You could have set your time to 15 minutes if you wanted too...

Quick Reply: What is this wire for? (pic link enclosed)