2009 - 2014 F-150

How to do better on sand

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to do better on sand

My truck does ok on sand. I really wanted to rear up the sand dunes. Here in the desert we have real steep sand dunes. What can I do to it other than lowering the air pressure? Would Lockers help? Are these locking differentials that come from factory any good ?? any hardcore off roaders out there have any input.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've read, running wide, all terrian tires at low air pressure perform best in sand. An yes, a locker would help but I have no experience with them.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
BFG A/T's aired down get great traction in beach sand, so I bet they would work fine for you too.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Horse power, high rpm's, wide tires. No sharp slow turns. Also just a tad of weight in the back.

Locker in the sand will want to push you straight (hard to turn). A L/S may be better or a selectable locker.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Air down, keep your truck in lower gears while going up the dunes. If in drive your truck will want to switch gears and you will lose your momentum. Im not saying keep your truck in 2nd or 3rd all the time, but be quick on the shifter. I have been mobing through Glamis Sand Dunes in the Imperial Valley 'CA', all my life and I always ran BFG Mudders aired down and had the time of my life. Im running Nitto Trail Grapplers now and cant wait to try them on the dunes. Hope this helps.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:42 AM
How are you 09-10 guys making out with the limitations of the traction control and stability controls on sand?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by F_ast
How are you 09-10 guys making out with the limitations of the traction control and stability controls on sand?
Push the button to turn off traction control only to allow wheel spin.

Push and hold the button 5 secs to turn off traction, roll, and stability controls completely.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 AM
I wish T.C. was an actual button that would stay turned off... I had it off and then turned my truck off and hung around a while, then started the truck back up and tried to leave.... Ha Ha Ha about got stuck..

Lockers would help but LS would be just fine as well. the factory lockers and such are just fine for sand and the amount of HP that they were designed for. I busted the LS diff in my 04 but i was spinning in sand at W.O.T. and both tires hooked up the the concrete boat ramp and the pinion couldn't handle that much resistance.

Most importantly...... KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP... if you set that frame in the sand your going to be there for a while digging it out..

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by kelley350x
Most importantly...... KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP... if you set that frame in the sand your going to be there for a while digging it out..
Yup, when you get to here>>>

You gotta start doing this here...lol

Unless you drive a ford then you can get to here in 2wd (on purpose) then put in in 4hi and get yourself out...

Class dismissed

Last edited by ruffn-it; 08-27-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:12 AM
NICE!!! Eat it Chevy!!!! POS, worst vehicle ive ever owned!!! up here in north texas we like to go out on the Red River... and that Red River sand is like nothing ive ever seen or experienced, ive seen a ranch hand ripped off trying to pull a jeep wrangker out. Watch out! Im def not a sand fan.

Quick Reply: How to do better on sand